Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Dancing on ice

(46 Posts)
Willow10 Sun 13-Jan-19 19:42:28

Trying to enjoy Dancing on Ice, but keep getting distracted and mesmerised by the huge trout pouts in the so called 'celebrity' audience. They look like they could be stuck to a car windscreen without difficulty! confused

GrandmaKT Mon 11-Mar-19 22:46:44

We missed most of the weekly episodes for one reason or another, but enjoyed the final. All the finalists were fantastic; amazing to see how far they have come in a few weeks.
That Gemma was pathetic! She had obviously agreed to come on in the finale so long as she didn't have to skate at all, and somehow they managed it!

callgirl1 Mon 11-Mar-19 22:36:48

It was a brilliant final! I didn`t vote because I just couldn`t call it between the 2, but it was a lovely show.

Charleygirl5 Mon 11-Mar-19 13:24:37

I agree Panache but there is little competition!

Panache Mon 11-Mar-19 12:27:24

An absolute great Finale last evening and with James winning the title it was the icing on the cake for me............although I admit it was a very close call between James and Wes.......both were superb although James just has the edge on finesse in my humble opinion.

As for the Bolera what a moving few moments,mesmerising in fact and so was JayneTorville & Christopher Dean`s skating to "Bridge overtroubled water" .........a real delight.

A great show and one I shall miss greatly.Surely the best Show on T.V.

megan123 Mon 11-Mar-19 12:24:46

I loved last night's performance and Wes or James would have been worthy winners, although I did want James to win. The Bolero reduced me to tears.

I wish James and Ola would come back to Strictly.

Charleygirl5 Mon 11-Mar-19 12:16:40

I also loved last night's performances except for that ghastly woman Gemma.

Wes and James were both fabulous and I thought that the girl had upped her game considerably to get straight tens.

I am not sure if the general public should have the final vote because it usually goes on personality and not competence.

I will miss it.

Will James and Ola be back on Strictly or have they left it for good?

DanniRae Mon 11-Mar-19 09:49:57

I really enjoyed last nights Skating on Ice final. I didn't mind who won as long it was James or Wes.
And yes "Bolero" always moves me too!

Sparklefizz Mon 11-Mar-19 09:24:14

Fantastic skating last night (except for that awful woman who just slid around on the ice on her knees!!)

I didn't mind who won because the talent was amazing and their tremendous hard work showed.

"Bolero", as always, moved me to tears, even though it wasn't Torville & Dean skating to it, but there was their own skate to come later on .... they are fabulous!

callgirl1 Tue 05-Mar-19 22:42:56

Chris is 60, Jane 61

DanniRae Tue 05-Mar-19 08:09:26

I think Jane and Chris both look great. Back when they won the gold for "Bolero" I was pregnant with my son. Well he is 34 now! How old are they now ? - I don't know, but if skating keeps you looking that good I'm off to get me some lessons !!grin

MissAdventure Mon 04-Mar-19 23:03:05

Jane Torville certainly has.
'Nuff said.

Lilypops Mon 04-Mar-19 23:01:13

Does anyone else think Chris Dean gets better looking with age, ?

Sparklefizz Mon 04-Mar-19 12:11:52

Willow I still remember how exciting Ray Quinn was to watch in Dancing on Ice years ago. How lovely to go to the live show and see him. The skaters have to be so brave. I cringe when they do the headbanger.

Willow500 Mon 04-Mar-19 11:50:24

I hope James will win - his dance background has probably made a difference but they're all novice skaters at the beginning. We went to the live show last year and saw Ray Quinn who is still amazing. The professionals are incredible!

Charleygirl5 Mon 04-Mar-19 11:45:17

Thank you Sparklefiz - I turned away for a second and missed it.

I do hope that James wins- he is twice the age of Wes and his dancing career must be in its twilight years as he is around 40 years of age now.

Sparklefizz Mon 04-Mar-19 11:30:22

Charleygirl It was his fault, I think, although it happened so quickly. He pulled her down and sort of under him, then fell on top of her which must have hurt. I noticed her right arm was very red while they were talking to Holly afterwards.

Charleygirl5 Mon 04-Mar-19 10:59:43

Ray Quinn was small and wiry, that made a difference.

I felt so sorry for the fellow who fell. I missed it for a split second so I do not know if it was his or his partner's fault.

Sparklefizz Mon 04-Mar-19 10:47:22

As Chris said last night to Wes "If you're going to do something (eg. the split leap or whatever it's called), then you have to do it well!" and I think that's the difference between James and Wes. I find Wes more exciting to watch (even if his split leap wasn't technically as good as it should be) but James perfects every move.

Also James, at age 40 to Wes's 20, can't afford to have really bad falls as we bounce less as we get older smile

Ray Quinn, who was Dancing on Ice Champion several years ago, did a most spectacular split leap, so Wes needs to try harder!

EllanVannin Mon 04-Mar-19 10:01:43

I think it's going to be a tough decision between Wes and James but somehow I personally think it's going to be James.

shysal Mon 04-Mar-19 09:04:07

Until last night I wanted Wes to win, but James was fantastic, thoroughly deserving the full house of 10s. His dance background made all the difference.

DanniRae Mon 04-Mar-19 08:58:40

Yes, Sparklefizz I am loving it too. Really didn't want Brian to go because I find him so amusing but realise it was his time. I don't know who I want to win between James and Wes as they are both so good and love watching them skate!

Sparklefizz Mon 04-Mar-19 08:13:43

What fabulous skating last night. I don't think I've ever seen anyone twice in a row get 4 x 10s as James did last night. Fantastic! And Wes's skating is so exciting to watch because he takes risks.

And next week we get Torville & Dean..... I love this programme (since that awful woman has left!)

paddyann Tue 12-Feb-19 00:38:43

The guy who's a dancer is fantastic ,hard to tell who the pro is between him an dhis partner.I was starting to believe he'd be out and Gemma still in.Glad thats not happened .

Charleygirl5 Mon 11-Feb-19 22:22:47

Until Dancing on Ice I had never seen or heard of Gemma and after seeing and hearing her histrionics for the last few weeks I hope never to set eyes on her ever again.

EllanVannin Mon 11-Feb-19 22:10:46

Deedaa I think people voted for the entertainment of her falling flat on her face, or to see if the poor guy attempted to lift her.

Last years winner was the best----Jake Quickenden.