Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Midwives.

(75 Posts)
travelsafar Mon 14-Jan-19 09:44:56

Love the return of the above. I really enjoy the trip down memory lane with the music, the hairstyles, clothing, and decor of the homes, it's marvellous. I know it is sugar coated to a degree but it is pure escapism and pleasure for an hour. .

LullyDully Tue 15-Jan-19 08:15:25

One programme my husband won't watch. Though he likes to peak at the new born babies over the top of his newspaper and coo.

Bathsheba Tue 15-Jan-19 08:32:43

Love this programme - nothing wrong with a bit of sugar-coated escapism! I agree with others about the doctor's sickly grinning, and his son isn't much better, though he didn't make an appearance last night, so with any luck he's been packed off to university, hopefully somewhere in the far north grin
I did feel for the parents of the triplets - I mean, goodness me, the father couldn't even cope with two little boys for half a day, so all the work would unquestionably be down to mum!! Though in the days before IVF multiple births, I imagine they would be getting offers of sponsorship deals from baby equipment/food/clothing companies wink

Maggiemaybe Tue 15-Jan-19 09:31:46

I love it, for me it’s perfect Sunday night escapism. It’s not always sugar-coated, though, by any means (remember the thalidomide victims, particularly the poor little scrap left out on a chilly windowsill to die). Jennifer Worth’s books are all about her personal experiences and there are some harrowing stories in there. Plenty of heartwarming ones, too, about life in the East End. The series, of course, has moved on from the books, though I’m sure there was talk about her experiences as a nurse in the local workhouse being televised too.

Miep1 Tue 15-Jan-19 11:00:39

I love it, don't care if some of the acting is over the top (or under the bottom, so to speak)! Can't think of anything else on that I would want to watch at the same time.

megan123 Tue 15-Jan-19 19:51:44

I love it too, very nostalgic. I remember having my eldest daughter at a cottage hospital, delivered by the Matron in her nightdress and dressing gown.

I am glad things have moved on for mums. It must be lovely to be able to have your partner at your side when giving birth, and the shame attached to having a baby when not married and being shunted off miles away to a Home because you brought disgrace upon your family is no more, thank god.

KatyK Tue 15-Jan-19 20:22:25

I'm always amazed at how lovely the midwives are in this and I really enjoy it. I had my DD in 1970, I was only 19. Most of the midwives were horrible. They gave me an enema and I was so scared I was sick in the bathroom. I told the nurse or midwife and she said 'well you'd better clean it up hadn't you'. That was just one incident.

Maggiemaybe Wed 16-Jan-19 00:11:06

My midwives with DD1 wouldn’t have won any humanitarian awards. Sent DH home because he was “in the way” and gave me a Mogadon an hour before she made an appearance. Left me alone and complained when I called for them when her head was out. Sister Julienne they were not! grin Thank goodness my other deliveries were attended by lovely midwives!

KatyK Wed 16-Jan-19 09:58:09

Similar experience then Maggie! I was given a buzzer, left on my own DH was sent home too). The midwife said 'don't press the buzzer for the pain' but I did as I was in agony and scared. She came in and said 'what did I tell you?' A doc then came in with students to 'have a look' . I do remember one or two kind nurses afterwards.

Anniebach Wed 16-Jan-19 10:09:45

Lovely Midwives at the birth of my two daughters

My elder daughter arrived a month early, my husband was on night duty and didn’t know she was on the way. When she was born the sister phoned the police station , they announced it across the force , the baby and I stayed in the labour room so my husband could come to see us that night not wait for visiting hours next day. One midwife made him a cup of tea and brought it to the labour room

Nelliemoser Wed 16-Jan-19 10:20:27

It's a bit too sugary for me even though it covers some serious issues.

I cannot abide that doctors smirking.
(Neither does Sparklefizz judging by her comments.) grin

GrannyIris5 Wed 16-Jan-19 10:22:24

Love it. DH often wipes away a tear, he’s softer than I am lol

Jabberwok Thu 17-Jan-19 15:10:07

Couldn't care less about the Dr's smile or anything else about him, I just love this programme, warts and all!!!

Sparklefizz Thu 17-Jan-19 17:01:46

Nelliemoser Totally agree. As the programme is so popular, I don't know why they don't bring in some decent actors.

ninathenana Thu 17-Jan-19 17:38:36

Bathsheba the son (Sidney ?) did make a brief appearance in the last scene of last nights episode.

Jabberwok Thu 17-Jan-19 19:19:26

The son is Timothy! and yes, he was sitting at the table !

SueDonim Thu 17-Jan-19 20:03:14

A friend of mine has children at the same school as the actor who plays Timothy. He's a lovely lad, apparently, and very talented musically. He's seen playing the piano in one of the older Christmas specials and it really was him playing. smile

Sparklefizz Thu 17-Jan-19 20:55:51

A friend of mine has children at the same school as the actor who plays Timothy. He's a lovely lad, apparently, and very talented musically. He's seen playing the piano in one of the older Christmas specials and it really was him playing.

He should concentrate on his music in my opinion and give up on the acting.

SueDonim Thu 17-Jan-19 22:36:44

I'll ask my friend to pass on your opinion to him, Sparklefizz. grin

harrigran Fri 18-Jan-19 09:25:18

I watch it for the costume and music, DH used to watch with me but says the story lines are too far fetched. Miriam Margoles as a mother superior, I don't think so, whatever would the Rabbi say ?
I was a nurse at the time of these stories and I just suspend belief and enjoy the story.
Multiple births were supported by companies like Cow and Gate.

KatyK Fri 18-Jan-19 10:08:44

I think the doc is in it as his wife is the writer or director or producer or something.

Anniebach Fri 18-Jan-19 10:28:51

harrigan Miriam Margoles is an actress playing a part, are the actresses playing nuns all Christians?

Sparklefizz Fri 18-Jan-19 12:06:35

Aw SueDonim blush I'm sorry my comment was harsh. I should have added that as he has a much better talent, eg. his music, he should concentrate on that. Many of us have no talents at all, but he is lucky and has a 2nd string to his bow, so to speak.

Maggiemaybe Fri 18-Jan-19 13:33:13

I’ve honestly never thought that any of the acting in CTM is bad. I didn’t know that the actor playing the doctor was married to the series creator, but he is one of the McGanns, so I wouldn’t have thought he’d need special favours.

Luckygirl Fri 18-Jan-19 13:44:19

I am not impressed with Margoles' acting in this.

But I do enjoy the programme.

Morgana Sun 03-Feb-19 18:34:15

Am I the only one who cries every week!???