Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Roy Orbison -Love Hurts, BBC iPlayer

(45 Posts)
Jane43 Sun 17-Feb-19 13:10:26

I watched this again last night. What a wonderful singer Roy was and he had so many tragedies to endure. There are other biographies of him but this one is made by his three sons from his two marriages. These men clearly adore their father and the programme is a wonderful tribute to him. In particular his son Wesley’s story is very sad to hear; he was the youngest of three sons by Roy’s first wife Claudette. Claudette died in a motor cycle accident in 1966 when Wesley was a baby and when Roy was on tour the boys were cared for by his parents. When Roy was touring in England in 1968 he received the news that there had been a terrible fire at his house and only his parents and Wesley had survived. Subsequently Wesley was raised by his grandparents and continued to live with them after Roy married again a year after the fire. Despite the two separate families and Wesley’s sad telling that the house he lived in was a short distance away from his father’s house but he couldn’t see it. He said they did visit him and his brothers never wanted to leave. The Orbison men seem united in their deep love for their late father and it is lovely to see them working together making the album of Roy’s songs by The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Even more lovely is to see Roy junior’s baby son Roy Orbison The Third with them, playing with drumsticks and strumming a guitar.

MissAdventure Sun 17-Feb-19 13:12:40

Oh Damn!
I've wanted to see this for a couple of years now.
I don't have Iplayer or anything.
I had been told that his life story was very sad.
I shall catch it at some point, I'm sure.

KatyK Sun 17-Feb-19 13:18:43

I've seen a couple of things about Roy and I'll try to find this. Thank you. I was fortunate enough to see him live once. He was on a tour with The Beatles in the '60s.

MissAdventure Sun 17-Feb-19 13:20:24

I love his voice.
That "grrowll" in Pretty Woman gives me goosebumps. smile
Mercy!

Gonegirl Sun 17-Feb-19 13:21:15

Oh I love Roy Orbison. Had no idea this was on iPlayer. That's my late afternoon entertainment sorted. Thanks Jane43. ?

Anniebach Sun 17-Feb-19 13:22:36

I was a Roy Orbison fan, still like to listen to him.

Gonegirl Sun 17-Feb-19 13:23:49

I saw him on that tour Katyk. Saw it at the Adelphi, Slough. It was when the Beatles were first starting up.

Will never forget old Roy-o standing so still in his black leather and sunglasses. Loved his voice so much.

Gonegirl Sun 17-Feb-19 13:26:00

We were so young then. And I still had my dearest cousin, who we lost a couple of years ago. She was a huge fan too. I loved her so much too. Bittersweet memories.

Sparklefizz Sun 17-Feb-19 13:38:46

Katyk and Gonegirl I saw that tour too, when The Beatles were 2nd on the bill and Roy Orbison was top. I saw it at Tooting Granada. I remember all the screaming for The Beatles and you couldn't hear a thing, and then when Roy O came on, you could have heard a pin drop. He was amazing. Often play his music.

Had no idea this was on. Thanks Jane43

EllanVannin Sun 17-Feb-19 13:40:56

I love him singing " In Dreams ". Reminds me of my departed friends from the 60's who, 3 of them died this last 18 months and I haven't been the same since.

KatyK Sun 17-Feb-19 13:44:40

Sparklefizz and *Gonegirl" It was at Birmingham Town Hall I saw him. I was only interested in The Beatles but can still hear Roy's wonderful voice now.

Sparklefizz Sun 17-Feb-19 13:51:27

KatyK Yes, I was there for The Beatles too, on a coach trip with the youth club, and can remember saying to my friend "Shall we scream?" and we did a self-conscious little squeak. But actually The Beatles lost their appeal for me after a few years whereas I became blown away by Roy O's voice and the emotion in his songs.

I remember watching a TV documentary about him several years ago when a record producer pointed out that in those days boys hid their emotions, and here was this young chap singing about crying over relationships with a quaver in his voice and great depth of feeling, and he was not your typical goodlooking pop star but Mr Average, and it was actually quite ground-breaking.

Bathsheba Sun 17-Feb-19 13:53:03

Oh I didn't realise this was on iPlayer! Thanks Jane43 - I shall definitely be watching this. It's funny, but when I was a teenager in the 60s I wasn't terribly keen on Roy Orbison - I thought he was a bit square. Honestly don't know why I had that impression of him hmm.
However, as time went on, I grew to absolutely love his music and he has remained one of my favourite singers of all time, as a solo artist and with the Travelling Wilberries.

KatyK Sun 17-Feb-19 14:01:23

Sparkle The Beatles have never lost their appeal for me. I am a Beatles nut. That concert was one of the best days of my life. We didn't have tickets and should have been at school and a Beatles 'roadie' sneaked us in. George Harrison came to a window to talk to us. I only appreciated Roy in later life and I now realise how great he was.

MiniMoon Sun 17-Feb-19 14:21:11

MissAdventure do you have a tablet or iPad? If so you can download the BBC iPlayer app from the app store and watch all the catch-up BBC programmes there.

MiniMoon Sun 17-Feb-19 14:21:29

PS it's a free app.

Gonegirl Sun 17-Feb-19 14:27:54

Katyk that was such a romantic way to get in. And for George to come and speak to you! smile

KatyK Sun 17-Feb-19 14:36:20

I know! I was in love with George. I can (and regularly do) bore for England about my Beatles escapades. Apologies for diverting the thread.

Jane43 Sun 17-Feb-19 14:55:54

I’m glad some of you plan to watch it. Make sure you have the tissues at hand, especially when Wesley tells his story.

KatyK how exciting! Those were the days that you could hang around the stage door and actually get to talk to some of the stars. In those days they weren’t whisked away in limousines or helicopters. We managed to speak to Adam Faith, Tommy Steele, Hank and Bruce Of The Shadows, Engelbert Humperdinck (he was Gerry Dorsey then), Emile Ford, John Barry and a few others from backing groups. Our favourite ever meeting was with Jet Harris who came out to speak to us and went and got Cliff Richard’s autograph for us. He did have a rather sad decline in later life but he was lovely to us three 15 year old girls. Our ultimate wish was to meet Billy Fury and two of us did eventually get to be in a room with him and a few other people but we were too shy to speak to him.

Jane43 Sun 17-Feb-19 14:57:44

I thought I would post this link in case it works.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09j0r8s

KatyK Sun 17-Feb-19 15:00:37

How marvelous Jane Yes my friends and me saw/met many of the big names of the day. It was all so innocent too.

Jalima1108 Sun 17-Feb-19 15:04:58

I never saw Roy Orbison but I wonder how many of us saw the Beatles when they were a supporting act?

They were supporting Chris Montez and Tommy Roe when I saw them in Wolverhampton.

KatyK Sun 17-Feb-19 15:14:02

We first heard of them when a friend at school went to see John Leyton. She reported back that there was a group on with him and that loads of girls were screaming at them. Well, that was it! Your link works "Jane* . I think I've seen it before but I will watch again, although it's unbearably sad.

silverlining48 Sun 17-Feb-19 15:26:22

Wasn’t the song Claudette sung by the Everly brothers about Roy’s first wife? I think Roy wrote it, but not sure.
I was a big fan and just love Pretty woman. What a song. Also liked Billy Fury, both sadly died too young.

Jane43 Sun 17-Feb-19 16:08:58

Yes Silverlining48 you are right. Roy wrote it about his first wife and The Everly Brothers had a number one hit with it in 1958.

A girl I worked with was mad about Paul McCartney and The Beatles when they first came on the music scene. They appeared at a local dance hall and she went to see them. She hung around afterwards with a friend and The Beatles appeared and were chased by a few girls. They escaped over somebody’s garden wall as I remember. I actually preferred The Rolling Stones and The Animals at the time but I came to admire The Beateles’ music later. We saw the Cirque Du Soleil Show ‘Love’ in Las Vegas and it was a wonderful tribute to their music.

Yes Roy died too young but in another documentary I saw about him he was a chain smoker, so was his wife Barbara, but he didn’t like to be seen smoking on camera as he had had heart surgery and didn’t want to send the wrong message.

Billy Fury had a weak chest too, according to his mother he had rheumatic fever when he was a young boy which weakened his heart. Like many of us at the time he was a smoker and also smoked other substances later which didn’t do his weak heart much good.