Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Just what we need today!

(20 Posts)
Deedaa Sun 07-Apr-19 21:47:56

I read all the books as a child and loved them. The series is nothing like the books but I enjoy it as something completely separate from them. And I can secretly lust after Larry!

callgirl1 Sun 07-Apr-19 19:43:50

I don`t watch The Durrells, but love your view Jane, it beats mine hands down!

SueDonim Sun 07-Apr-19 13:22:38

I'm looking forward to this. Sheer escapism! Sadly, it's the last series.

I went on to read all of Gerald Durrells books about Corfu (had read My Family many years ago, of course) and also Lawrence's book about his time in Cyprus, Bitter Lemons.

Callistemon Sun 07-Apr-19 12:09:20

We have sunshine here

I've never watched The Durrells and think I may have missed a treat.

Jane10 Sun 07-Apr-19 11:41:12

merlotgran grin

merlotgran Sun 07-Apr-19 10:38:21

Tonight will be TV heaven. The Durrells, Line of Duty, then Victoria on +1.

Feelgood followed by tension followed by historical drama. Perfect mix.

DH is rolling his eyes grin

KatyK Sun 07-Apr-19 10:32:06

Soppy pap works for me the way things have been in this house lately smile

Urmstongran Sun 07-Apr-19 10:27:07

Not for me - I think it’s soppy pap. Didn’t like one of the books years ago so tried one episode on tv. Haven’t changed my mind!

KatyK Sun 07-Apr-19 10:01:09

I love the Durrells. I find it comforting. sunshine

Jane10 Sun 07-Apr-19 09:34:13

I agree about the characters. I didn't like Mrs Durrells or any of the children at first but they've grown on me!

EllanVannin Sun 07-Apr-19 09:20:15

I preferred the film about Joy Adamson, " Born Free " and her story of Elsa the lioness. A marvellous woman known for the preservation of these lovely animals.
I had a chance meeting with Virginia McKenna years ago, along with her beautiful daughter-----at a service station believe it or not. We were next to each other washing our hands in the ladies toilets. What a lovely person !

Did also visit the Durrell's zoo on my many trips to Jersey.

Blinko Sun 07-Apr-19 09:11:57

For me, the scenery is great and the storylines are ok. Unfortunately I can't stand any of the children and the mother is most irritating. OH likes it so I expect we'll be watching...

Kalu Sun 07-Apr-19 09:11:21

Similar dreich view to mine this morning Jane. Good news there is a new series of ‘The Durrells’ to look forward to tonight. Thanks for the heads up?

I will look out for G Norton on catchup Brunette. Keeley Hawes is an excellent actress who plays any part well

B9exchange Sun 07-Apr-19 09:07:33

I do love the show, though DH doesn't particularly so sometimes forget to catch it on repeat. I loved all Gerald Durrell's books, and the show seems to bear very little resemblance to them, but it doesn't matter!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 07-Apr-19 09:03:44

I love The Durrells and enjoy it massively despite the fact that in real life I hate the heat.
I'm looking forward to the relationship between Mrs Durrell and Spiros developing despite him having a wife hidden away somewhere.

Jane10 Sun 07-Apr-19 09:00:31

I didn't enjoy the first series for some reason but the next one was lovely. Its like an injection of sunshine into Sunday nights.

Humbertbear Sun 07-Apr-19 08:52:48

I’ve never liked the Durrells. I first met them when I had to read a passage from My Family and Other Animals for an English exam. When I finished the examiner was in fits of laughter and I just couldn’t see what she was laughing about.

sodapop Sun 07-Apr-19 08:41:55

It's strange that Durrell's is a series I really can't get into. I love animals etc so thought it would be right up my street but its not. I think its something to do with the era its set in.

Brunette10 Sun 07-Apr-19 08:20:51

Oh yes Jane, I'm so looking forward to the Durrell's tonight. Actually just watched Keeley Hawes being interviewed on the Graham Norton show last night. Enjoy!

Jane10 Sun 07-Apr-19 08:13:57

This is the view from our sitting room windows today. sad
However, the new series of 'The Durrells' starts tonight. Instant sunshine! sunshine