Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

A House Through Time

(31 Posts)
FountainPen Sun 07-Apr-19 17:59:08

Of interest to family historians too.

A reminder that a new series of A House Through Time starts tomorrow Monday 21:00 on BBC2.

This time, David Olusoga looks at the history of a house in Newcastle upon Tyne's "gritty" West End.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00041qb

Maggiemaybe Sun 07-Apr-19 18:02:12

Oh, I'll look forward to that, thanks for the heads up.

I really enjoyed the Liverpool series.

Alima Sun 07-Apr-19 18:02:49

Thank you, knew it was coming back but didn’t know when!

NittWitt Sun 07-Apr-19 18:03:26

That does sound interesting.

Chewbacca Sun 07-Apr-19 18:15:40

I watch very little t.v. but I enjoyed the last series in Liverpool so will make sure I catch up on this series too. And Mr O is very easy on the eye! grin

EllanVannin Sun 07-Apr-19 18:20:55

I love these series and enjoyed the Liverpool one as it was near familiar ground to me too.

BBbevan Sun 07-Apr-19 18:49:57

Love the programme. He has such a quiet, but interesting way of presentation. Not bad to look at either

trisher Sun 07-Apr-19 18:58:03

Really looking forward to this. The house is in a hidden corner of the city that most will miss. Beautiful houses in an area with many links to what were once considered as unacceptable and even dissident religions. Newcastle City Gudes lead a walk around the area.

SueDonim Sun 07-Apr-19 19:29:06

Thank you for the reminder! I enjoyed the previous series.

Suki70 Sun 07-Apr-19 19:58:24

The programmes on the Liverpool house were fascinating and I loved David Olusoga's presentation so I'm looking forward to the new series. Newcastle is where he was brought up too and I've read that he greatly enjoyed being back there to make this series.

Labaik Sat 27-Apr-19 00:38:37

Absolutely mesmerised by this new series [but last weeks was SO sad; by that I mean even sadder than the previous ones...].

Grammaretto Sat 27-Apr-19 06:13:43

Fascinating as well as sad.
The final one this week.

Jane10 Sat 27-Apr-19 10:37:57

This is such a brilliant programme. Every week I'm disappointed that that episode is over. I'm always left wondering who's moving in next.
The presenter is excellent. He doesn't make it all about him as so many do.
also he's gorgeous

lemongrove Sat 27-Apr-19 10:40:21

I love this programme too, but.....find his voice puts me to sleep about half way through ?
I have to catch up with it after my nap.

Labaik Sat 27-Apr-19 10:44:46

It made me think a bit about houses people buy. eg I saw a house on right move yesterday; beautiful house and one that, if I was looking for an old cottage I would love, but I know the house and I know that, many years ago someone committed suicide in one of the bedrooms...sad...

lemongrove Sat 27-Apr-19 10:49:23

I would have thought that any house over 50 years old say,may well have had either a suicide or sad death happen there, and the older, the more likely to be.
It’s not worth worrying about really.Of course if you know it happened Labaik then that’s different and will be off putting.
I suppose that if you don’t know, and like the house, then don’t do any ‘digging’.

Labaik Sat 27-Apr-19 12:54:57

I don't think I could live in a really old house for that reason [remember I can't even watch 'Ghosts' without getting scared shock ]. I did live in a haunted house in my youth which probably doesn't help....

Jane10 Sat 27-Apr-19 15:03:52

That would certainly put me off Labaik!

Grammaretto Sat 27-Apr-19 15:12:06

Ooh I hadn't thought of ghosts Labaik there must be plenty where I live as it's over 200 yrs old.
I haven't seen one but I would expect them to be benign.
We discovered there was a murder in the grounds about 100 yrs ago. A jealous lover from another cottage......
I know babies have been born here so there will have been deaths too.
I have looked at the history, censuses and all but not paid for death certificates. I don't think I'll bother.

Jane43 Fri 03-May-19 10:54:20

What an excellent series of programmes. I hope there are more, I love the presenter.

Floradora9 Fri 03-May-19 18:19:46

I hope they do one on Edinburgh or Glasgow there must be loads of history there.

SilverDarlings12 Fri 03-May-19 21:15:06

One about Glasgow would be good Flora.

MawBroonsback Fri 03-May-19 21:17:37

I thoroughly enjoyed this series and the last, but found this final episode a bit contrived- I felt hecwas looking for too much pathos in the history of the house which had plenty to interest us anyway.

MawBroonsback Fri 03-May-19 21:20:46

Grammaretto and Labaik ghosts, really? ??
Our last house dated back to the early 1700’s but I would never have any worries like that about an old house.
Expensive repairs, Green things growing in damp corners, not a right angle in the place - certainly, but the possibility of ghosts was the least of our worries!

Alexa Sat 04-May-19 00:11:58

Floradora and Silverdarlings, the series History of Our Streets has one about Moray Place in Edinburgh and another about Duke Street in Glasgow. This series is like House in Time as social history from a small location.