Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Mum's back!!

(123 Posts)
kittylester Fri 10-May-19 12:18:55

BBC2 Wednesday 10.00.

I love it

justanovice Mon 08-Jul-19 09:30:02

I think that it's the best TV that I've seen in ages. Beautifully written and acted.

katie1 Thu 27-Jun-19 20:50:20

I loved the whole series. Going off together was just wonderful! I think Pauline and Derek realise that no one else will have them so they stick together.

kittylester Thu 27-Jun-19 20:33:45

Very well put, danni!

DanniRae Thu 27-Jun-19 08:51:13

SPOILER ALERT..............I simply LOVED it because it all came right in the end.
Kelly might have been daft but she was there for Kathy and Michael when it mattered, and she stopped Jason from being unkind to Michael when he was taking 'the mick' out of him. I loved Kathy telling Pauline to 'f*ck off' (or similar) when she was being rude to her in the kitchen. In an earlier series I loved Kathy letting Kelly's mum know how unkind she was being to her daughter. I loved Jason sitting on his mum's bed and opening his heart to her about 'being a man' (although it made me cry).
I too didn't quite get why Pauline tried to change but couldn't quite manage it. I imagine she was in the car with her ex (and champagne) because she wanted to get back with him. It didn't work and she realised she had to stay with dopey Derek - for the time being anyway. Why on earth he didn't stand up to her I don't know. I kept shouting at the screen "Grow some b*lls for goodness sake!"
There is so much more I could say about this programme and I am definitely getting all 3 series on dvd and watching it again (and again!)

kittylester Fri 21-Jun-19 09:06:14

I agree harri.

It was brilliant.

harrigran Wed 19-Jun-19 23:34:04

Final episode tonight and Kathy said the things I had been waiting for her to say.
Brilliant series, such well observed drama. Every family has at least one of the characters.

mcem Sat 15-Jun-19 22:42:09

Have tried a couple of times and just don't get it!
I find it tedious rather than subtle..
Doormat characters irritate me while the overbearing egocentric Pauline reminds me of one of our posters who is far from entertaining!
I agree about this and The Office being simply cringeworthy!
However to those of you who are 'hooked', enjoy!!

Avor2 Sat 15-Jun-19 21:00:11

Lovely programme Ohmother I admit I was finding Kathy a bit irritating in the end just smiling sweetly whenever anyone said anything derogatory (?) Glad she had a little go in the end.

Happy it all ended ok, walking away hand in hand - perfect

Sara65 Sat 15-Jun-19 17:23:21

Shysal

Glad it’s not just me! I thought I might have missed something

shysal Sat 15-Jun-19 17:11:31

Sara65, I didn't get what was happening with Derek, Pauline and her ex outside in the car, either. Had Pauline seen herself as others see her so felt ashamed? Can anyone enlighten me?

Blinko Sat 15-Jun-19 16:41:51

We watched for the first time after reading how compulsive and funny it was. We hated it and didn't see anything remotely amusing in it.

Afraid cringe 'comedy' isn't for me.

Sara65 Sat 15-Jun-19 16:37:35

I watched the episode where it rained last night, and it made me like it again, Michaels speech was so moving, I thought it was beautifully written and beautifully acted,

Also the scene with Pauline and Derek, although I didn’t really get what was going on with Pauline

Greenfinch Sat 15-Jun-19 16:33:33

We were talking about this programme at our meet up on Wednesday and I confessed to never having watched it so I gave it a go. Absolutely loved it especially Pauline although I did not warm to Kelly at first.
The dithering around and not really achieving anything is much more like real life than the violence shown on the soaps. Pity it is about to finish. sad

oldgimmer1 Mon 03-Jun-19 22:19:32

I've watched it all now.

I didn't find it funny as such - I found myself cringing rather than laughing. A bit like The Office - observational rather than laugh-out-loud.

Having said that, I think most of the characters are pretty vile. The old woman is awful, with no redeeming features. Kelly is awful with no self-awareness whatsoever.

The son is selfish and immature. Pauline is particularly awful, particularly to Derek.

What I really don't get is why Cathy puts up with them all, and why she doesn't appear to have any sort of life outside of the family.

The best character is Derek imho- he is a bit more sympathetic and you kind of root for him, even though he's so pathetic and needy.

It's compulsive viewing though. smile.

seacliff Mon 03-Jun-19 21:20:52

grin

Gonegirl Mon 03-Jun-19 21:05:01

Oh no! I want a sandwich now.

seacliff Mon 03-Jun-19 20:59:10

It's obviously a " Marmite" programme.

Gonegirl Mon 03-Jun-19 09:51:41

I have started at the very beginning.

Gonegirl Mon 03-Jun-19 09:51:05

I'm finding it almost hypnotising. You watch one episode and then just have to let it carry on to the next. It is all very exaggerated, but you can still see the real life truth behind it.

Thought I'd hate it. Love it. grin

KatyK Mon 03-Jun-19 09:43:42

Tried it again. It's not for me. Is it a comedy? I found it very unfunny. Maybe it's not supposed to be funny?

Alima Mon 03-Jun-19 06:55:43

Wasn’t going to but I did. Binge watched the whole of Series 3. Will now start again at the very beginning.

kittylester Fri 31-May-19 08:32:28

Daniela Denby Ashe!!!

Thanks Lully! I can rest easy now!

She was in EastEnders and Waterloo Road too!!

LullyDully Fri 31-May-19 08:02:57

She used to be the daughter in that comedy with Robert Lindsay and Zoe Wanamaker.

kittylester Fri 31-May-19 07:42:51

I still love it! I'm watching it as it comes rather than binge watching it.

Can anyone tell me who plays the woman owner of the house? I nearly drove myself, and dh, mad last night trying to find out but with no joy.

katie1 Thu 30-May-19 19:36:44

I love 'Mum', It is so frustrating that they can't get it together. I am sure a lot of children,including grown up ones, try to prevent their parents from being happy with someone else, because of their own sense of loyalty to the deceased parent.