Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Gentleman Jack.

(128 Posts)
Ohmother Sun 19-May-19 22:02:35

Well. I thought it was well acted, lively and funny. Hope it keeps up at this pace!

shysal Mon 20-May-19 09:40:45

I enjoyed it and look forward to the next episode. So many of you have mentioned the music. I wasn't aware of it at all! blush

Alexa Mon 20-May-19 10:09:37

Great! Ann Lister is a woman I admire for her efficiency and responsible attitude even while she suffers from being painfully dumped.

Ngaio1 Mon 20-May-19 10:17:13

I am afraid that Suranne Jones wooden acting and gurning faces always spoil drama for me. She hasn't changed her jaw drop since Coronation Street! She doesn't ever become the character - policewoman - lawyer - doctor - convincingly. I can always see that it is Suranne Jones and not the person she is trying to portray. A much over rated actor.

grannyticktock Mon 20-May-19 10:18:18

The song, which got the briefest acknowledgement right at the end of the credits, was written and performed by female folk duo, (Belinda) O'Hooley and (Heidi) Tidow, who deserve to be better known and more prominently acknowledged.

ffinnochio Mon 20-May-19 10:39:42

Too much striding about to folksy jig music. Suranne Jones would make a good Principal Boy in a Pantomime, which is just how it appeared. Very staged.

Jabberwok Mon 20-May-19 11:58:50

I had to look away when they shot the horse! Other than that we enjoyed it-Just!!!

Grandma70s Mon 20-May-19 14:21:34

I looked away and put the mute on when they shot the horse!

It’s an interesting story, and some of the acting was good (I noticed Timothy West who I usually see on Great Canal Journeys these days) but I thought Suranne Jones overdid the masculine gestures etc - though of course I don’t know what the real Anne Lister was like.

jura2 Mon 20-May-19 14:29:09

Shibden Hall - wow, amazing place.

Ngaio1 Mon 20-May-19 15:25:21

ffinochio - I do so agree! I think Suranne Jones would be very well suited to play a principal boy in Amdram!! She is a third rate actor and doesn't deserve the hype she gets.

HildaW Mon 20-May-19 15:53:33

Sheesh, harsh criticism.
I enjoyed it. Acting is actually quite difficult...I've dabbled (badly, but then we were all rubbish but it was fun).
My litmus test for good drama is 'am I waiting for this programme to end?' as the answer was definitely a 'no' I shall following it.
TV is so full of nasty dark stuff I am so happy to watch something a little more quirky. It was sort of 'Cranford' with an edge and I really quite fancied Miss Lister's wardrobe (though not the hair).

jura2 Mon 20-May-19 17:13:13

Grandma70, yes, agree- it was the overdoing of the male that was so ridiculously obvious and grated.

Avor2 Mon 20-May-19 21:46:04

I didn't think I would like it but I was wrong, personally I thought Suranne was perfect in the roll, enjoyed the asides to the camera, and am looking forward to next week.

maryeliza54 Mon 20-May-19 21:48:59

I’ve just watched it - I thought it was great fun - pacey, quirky, humerous, knowing - look forward to next episode.

maryeliza54 Mon 20-May-19 21:50:34

Hilda just seen we both used the word quirky - great minds.

seasider Mon 20-May-19 21:54:50

I am originally from Yorkshire and visit Shibden Park quite regularly . I was always telling my family the story of Anne Lister. Her diaries were considered so shocking that as late as the 1970s the council thought they were not fit for the public to read !

Jomarie Mon 20-May-19 22:26:39

I loved it!!! So did my sister and we don't often agree - so bearing that in mind I think it is a "hit" and am already looking forward to next week's episode. As for the actors - a great cast - both well known and not so well known but well chosen. I disagree that Suranne Jones plays only herself - she is well known and well liked - and, in my opinion, a very able actress - versatile and able to absorb the character that she is portraying to the point that she is believable. That is just my opinion - others may and will feel differently. smile

lemongrove Mon 20-May-19 23:07:44

Seasider I grew up more or less in sight of Shibden Hall and knew nothing about Anne Lister at all.
Having read about her life (truncated version on news ipad) just the other week I was amazed.
I think Suranne is playing the part very well.

seasider Mon 20-May-19 23:52:47

Lemongrove I grew up.in Huddersfield but we went to the park often. Not sure where I first heard the story of Anne Lister but she was so ahead of her time . Yorkshire pub of the year The Shibden Mill Inn is close by too

Maggiemaybe Tue 21-May-19 13:05:54

Anne Lister was by all accounts of the time loud, proud and unashamedly masculine in her dress and behaviour. She was a fearless adventurer and mountaineer. This depiction rings true to me (and I think Suranne Jones is a fine actor).

Namsnanny Tue 21-May-19 14:28:04

Ngaio1...I didn’t see the gurning(meaning face pulled into ugly shapes).
I think if the diaries were read for reference it would be clear this is as true a dipiction of Anne lister as is likely to be portrayed.
The portrait I’ve seen of her she wore very similar clothing, very manly for the day.
She was her own woman strode, ran spoke confidently which can always be interpreted as male.
It was just her natural way of being her.
I think the director has got it just right for today’s audiences.

M0nica Tue 21-May-19 15:51:28

I have very mixed feelings about it. All the striding about and the music reminded me of 'Tom Jones'. Yet I felt that the real Anne Lister and her life was much darker and far more nuanced than portrayed in this serial. And I am pretty sure that even if she dressed and walked like a man, and every report says she did, she didn't stride around like a pantomime prince, which is what Suranne Jones was doing.

On the whole I found it an uncomfortable mix between fact and fiction. I would have preferred either a slower and more sombre version of Anne Lister' s life as it really was or an entirely fictional version of a similar person's life rather like 'Tom Jones' is, where the hero/heroine can stride around and the heroine can simper and we can all recognise a rollicking good romp when we get it.

I think the director has got it just right for today’s audiences., sadly Namsnanny, I think you are right, a good story marmelised and debased and bound to form the basis of all kinds of myths about about being a lesbian in the early 19th century.

Labaik Tue 21-May-19 17:40:48

Belinda O'Hooley started off in the Unthanks if I remember right. I did enjoy it; must admit that I was going to give it a miss till I read this thread. I'm not all that impressed with Suranne Jones acting, though [I haven't seen the other stuff she's been in and it doesn't help that she reminds me of someone I used to know].]

annodomini Tue 21-May-19 18:09:38

Having seen Suranne Jones in Orlando at Manchester's Royal Exchange Theatre, I was looking forward to seeing her in another androgynous role and my expectations were not by any means unfulfilled. She was lively and uninhibited as the part demanded.

Namsnanny Wed 22-May-19 03:20:40

M0nica.....Well its all supposition or interpretation isn't it?
For her day Anne Lister was avantgarde, brave, confidant, and completely at ease with her own sexuality.
Therefore I find it perfectly acceptable to show that confidence in ones bearing!
I don't think it's meant to be a caricature of the woman.

I also think there have been enough examples of lesbian relationships on tv for people to be sophisticated enough to understand that this is not the definitive depiction to gauge all others by!

A good story marmalized and debased and bound to form the basis of all kinds of myths about being a lesbian in the 19thc

Gosh I hope not!
No I cant agree with you there.
It isn't really a story as it is taken (as you know) from her own diaries.
I haven't seen any evidence of it being 'marmalize' (pulverized out of existence?) as of yet. We are only on the first episode, so we shall have to wait and see.
Interesting..... bound to form the basis of myths about being a lesbian in the 19thc? Not sure quite what you mean!

Did you see the other drama of her diaries made by the bbc in the 1990's with Maxine Peak?
Which was the first time I had heard of Anne Lister, and I thoroughly enjoyed.

May be this version is more to your taste?

I just love it when a book or program shines a light onto the past and shows us how our understanding is coloured by modern standards.

Thanks for giving me something to think about!! smile

M0nica Wed 22-May-19 06:57:49

Unfortunately I do not think this program does shine a light onto the past, on the contrary I think it obscures the reality and glamourises it and completely misinterprets it and while it is impossible not to bring a modern understanding to stories like this, but, as I have said to rewrite it and score it as a rolicking yarn with ahero/heroine bouncing around like a pantomime Prince Charming, does this very interesting story a great disservice.

My knowledge of Anne Lister depends on radio programmes and articles in history magazines. I watch very little television and only saw the first episode of 'Gentleman Jack' because we were staying with friends and they wanted to watch it. It is a long time since I watched any costume drama, I am so fed up with the glamourising and dumbing down that occurs in so many of them. This is just another with the same problems.