Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Gentleman Jack.

(128 Posts)
Ohmother Sun 19-May-19 22:02:35

Well. I thought it was well acted, lively and funny. Hope it keeps up at this pace!

Calendargirl Mon 08-Jul-19 09:03:04

A good last episode, seemed to tie up various loose ends while leaving tantalising glimpses of things to come in next series, especially with regard to the pig incident.?
Roll on Poldark! ⚓️

Labaik Fri 05-Jul-19 12:00:47

I'm watching it and enjoying it but it falls into the category of a series that I won't stay in specifically to watch and wouldn't feel the need to binge watch it on catchup [which I have just done with Killing Eve and Years and Years]. I,too find Ann as a person far more interesting than her sexuality. The second series was commissioned as soon as they saw the viewing figures for the first episode, I believe.

MiniMoon Fri 05-Jul-19 11:16:21

You are correct Franbern, another series has been commissioned..
Yippee, I have really enjoyed this series.

Davida1968 Fri 05-Jul-19 11:12:46

Another vote for loving the series. Great cast too.

Jabberwok Fri 05-Jul-19 11:10:55

I'm slightly afraid that he maybe queried and questioned!! He must take that guilty look off his face!!!!!!

annodomini Thu 04-Jul-19 20:17:47

I must confess that, as the series has progressed, my sympathy has been with Marian. Who could put up with being second fiddle to Anne Lister? I also like the sub plot of the young man who fed his abusive father to the pigs, I hope it all works out well for him and his prospective wife.

Jabberwok Thu 04-Jul-19 19:36:45

I suppose she might have changed the brooch,but it seems a bit unlikely!!
Poldark?Hooray!!!!!!

Franbern Thu 04-Jul-19 09:36:26

Think I have read that there is going to be a second series

Calendargirl Mon 01-Jul-19 22:29:52

Oh, shall have to watch that bit again, I never notice such things. But I suppose she could have nipped upstairs and changed brooches?

J52 Mon 01-Jul-19 22:14:54

Continuity watch: on the morning when they were saying goodbyes to Anne, her sister, Marian’s brooch changed between the breakfast table scene and the door step scene. It was a cameo and then a plain stone.
I really like the programme but inaccurate details annoy me.

Farmor15 Mon 01-Jul-19 14:23:01

For those like me who enjoy the music on show, I discovered that it was written in 2012 by O’Hooley & Tidow. You can listen to it here:
www.google.com/search?q=gentleman+jack+song&rlz=1C9BKJA_enIE601IE601&oq=gentleman+jack+song&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.11900j0j7&hl=en-GB&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Full lyrics also easy to find online- Google gentleman jack lyrics

NotSpaghetti Mon 01-Jul-19 14:10:38

This is exactly what we thought ffinnochio

Too much striding about to folksy jig music. Suranne Jones would make a good Principal Boy in a Pantomime, which is just how it appeared. Very staged.

But we have watched it anyway as it’s fine when nothing much else on. It’s “easy on the eye” and has some interesting minor characters.

Calendargirl Mon 01-Jul-19 14:04:03

I thought last night’s episode was good, quite pacy and interesting. I too shall miss it when it finishes,
Personally have no desire to binge watch anything, I prefer to look forward to next episode.
Also looks like Poldark coming up to take over from GJ.

whywhywhy Mon 01-Jul-19 11:00:52

Oh no, the last one on Sunday, what will I watch then? I love the programme and I have read about her on the internet, so I wont spoil it for anyone. x

Calendargirl Wed 26-Jun-19 12:45:45

Watched Sunday’s episode last night. I think it’s still quite watchable, and although I’m not a huge fan of Suranne Jones, I think she plays a very good part in this. Also think Miss Walker is being played very well

eazybee Mon 24-Jun-19 13:26:45

Ann Lister, like millions of men before her, is choosing her partner for sex, not intellect. Oh, and the money.

Farmor15 Mon 24-Jun-19 13:20:45

I read up a bit on the real story - after Anne Lister got together with Ann W, they went travelling and hiked up mountains. Her adventurous travels sound much more interesting than the on-off relationship with Ann W. Doesn't look like this series is going to get much further than their eventual "marriage". Wikipedia has a good entry on Anne Lister if anyone wants to read the full story.

Enjoying it, but also find a bit slow, and not sure how the romantic side stories of young peasants fit in. The pig bit was good though!

grannyticktock Mon 24-Jun-19 08:14:43

Maybe they should have fitted in into six episodes. The endless negotiations with the pit owners are getting a bit tedious, but at least the Ann W story is progressing as she takes her fit of the vapours up North. I am not sure where the budding romance between the two young peasants will fit in, I hope that's just there to give a bit of cheering normality. And I am still enjoying Mt Abbott's awfulness, plus the fact that his name sometimes sounds like Mr Rabbit.

travelsafar Mon 24-Jun-19 08:09:39

Starting to get a little bored with this series now. Shame as it started off at such a pace and i was so looking forward to the rest.

Tweedle24 Tue 18-Jun-19 12:54:28

Ann Walker is also very wealthy, Ann Lister did comment on this in one of the earlier episodes,

Apparently, AL did use AW’s money to repair and improve Shibden Hall.

I think that the locals are so used to Ann Lister’s ways that they accept it. She grew up amongst them and seems to have been well liked by her peers on the whole.Also, the uncle left everything to her because he knew that she had the strength of character to manage it. In those days, few women would have been able to stand up against the other business people who were then all men.

Carillion Tue 18-Jun-19 12:41:57

Great programme for Sunday night but a bit slow, can't see how it will keep going for eight episodes. Love the way the galloping music matches Miss Lister's sturdy walk whenever she means business.

Calendargirl Tue 18-Jun-19 12:29:53

Sorry granny ticktOck!

Calendargirl Tue 18-Jun-19 12:29:10

Could well be granny tick tick.

grannyticktock Tue 18-Jun-19 10:52:30

How it comes across to me - no idea if this comes from the diaries - is that Lister is a strong, controlling person who likes her own way, and is attracted to a woman who is dainty, sensitive and malleable (everything she is not!).

Calendargirl Tue 18-Jun-19 10:23:06

Yes, Ann Walker is a bit drippy. I would have thought Miss Lister would have wanted someone more feisty, but perhaps she brings out a motherly instinct in her?