Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Killing Eve

(77 Posts)
Ohmother Sat 08-Jun-19 22:05:35

Fantastic beginner episode for new series. Fast paced and funnier. Do you agree?

annodomini Sun 16-Jun-19 14:40:08

I watched "Mum" once, and wondered why it was so highly regarded. I didn't try it again to find out.
I've just started Killing Eve in series 2 and am catching up with Series 1 - binge watching.

notanan2 Sun 16-Jun-19 15:07:20

I loved Carolyns style this week Trisher

Joyfulnanna Sun 16-Jun-19 23:38:33

The first series of mum was hilarious.. I could relate but the second is so slow, I had to force myself to watch.

lilihu Sun 16-Jun-19 23:53:53

Just my opinion, but if you’re coming in at Series 2, I think you’ll find it all baffling without the full backstory. Series 1 is full of mysteries, crazy new characters, character development and the weird relationships developing. I think you need to go through all this before trying series 2.

Alima Mon 17-Jun-19 06:01:34

Do agree that the first two episodes of Series 2 are a bit different. Still really enjoying it, think the two stars are brilliant. As an aside, Eve’s husband reminds me of an escapee from Village People.
Loved Mum, binge watched all of the last series. Do so wish there was more on TV like that instead of all the crap they do show.

goldengirl Mon 17-Jun-19 10:00:45

'Enjoy' is not a word I'd use for Killing Eve! But I'm fascinated by it. I was puzzled to learn that there might be a series 3 which I think is pushing it a bit. I peer through my fingers when Villanelle decides to commit murder!! Yes, that Julian was a really creepy character which added to the atmosphere. Looking forward to the next episode.

Jane43 Mon 17-Jun-19 11:11:48

Craftycat, I also watched all the episodes yesterday evening as there was nothing of interest on television until 9pm. I wasn’t impressed by the first episode but did find it improved a lot and there were some very funny lines. It reminded me of a Coen Brothers film. I think Jodie Comer is absolutely fantastic in the way she takes on the various personae of Villanelle. I do hope she is offered some really good roles after Killing Eve comes to an end.

Avor2, I also like the actor who plays Konstantin as well he first came to my attention a few years ago in the Scandi series The Bridge which was excellent.

travelsafar Tue 18-Jun-19 08:56:12

Have watched on iplayer as couldnt wait.

I just loved it, the clothes, the music the wackiness of it.

Hope they do another series. Jodie Comer is amazing!!!! and i echo what Jane43 says.

phoenix Sat 29-Jun-19 21:30:20

I was wondering what it was about Eve that looked slightly out of kilter.

Apparently,(according to an art teacher I know) no matter what race, eyes should be approximately half way down the face.

Calendargirl Sun 30-Jun-19 07:42:27

I like the way she just pulls her hair up any old way and it looks good. Think Jodie Comer is so pretty, and such an expressive face.

Calendargirl Sun 30-Jun-19 07:43:32

I meant Eve’s hair, though Villanelle’s is also great.

Teetime Sun 30-Jun-19 10:02:31

I love Killing Eve but I am a bit lost - what happened to the new handler who almost strangled her in his car and who was the man she eviscerated last night - what was his crime please?

Lazigirl Sun 30-Jun-19 11:19:15

Oh dear! This initially successful series has lost the plot. It really was reminiscent of a clever Coen film, but now has descended into farce. OK Villanelle is still beautiful, but has become a walking wardrobe, Eve's hair tying is an affectation (sorry Calendar girl) and the scene in Amsterdam was just gratuitous violence IMO. The absolute concentration of the supposed intense relationship between V and E has become overblown.

Jane43 Sun 30-Jun-19 13:02:47

Lazigirl, completely agree about the first series’ resemblance to a Coen Brothers film and although the second series was good it did seem that they were throwing too much violence in at the expense of moving along the story line.

Callistemon Sat 06-Jul-19 21:55:23

Tonight's episode

In the Forest of Dean?
hmm
Didn't look like it. I know it's far-fetched but that is really stretching credulity.
grin

Calendargirl Sun 28-Jul-19 12:54:55

Watched the last episode last night. Have found the last few episodes hard to follow, don’t know if it’s me but did not really understand what was going on. Looks set up for another series, but IMHO time it finished. I don’t think Eve is dead by the way. Also what about poor Hugo, was he left to bleed to death??

Gonegirl Sun 28-Jul-19 12:59:25

I like the way it's going. 14 year old GS was with me last night so he got the chance to love it too. I'm going to watch this series again this from the beginning. Even though DH will be disgusted.

Gonegirl Sun 28-Jul-19 13:00:54

Calendargirl I guess those two things are part of the cliff-hanger. (But obviously she won't be dead. GS suggested she might have fainted! grin)

Callistemon Sun 28-Jul-19 13:03:41

Oh, what a pity.
I was hoping that was the end of it.

Gonegirl Sun 28-Jul-19 13:05:21

shock I love it. Best thing that's been on telly for years.

Minniemoo Sun 28-Jul-19 13:09:33

Hear, hear to all those praising it. I'm almost tempted to watch it again!

Craftycat Sun 28-Jul-19 13:54:59

Loved first series but thought 2nd a bit if a let down. I think Pheobe Walter Bridge should write 3rd series as she did so well with first. Have to wait until March for next series unfortunately . I love the way than in the midst of all the gore it is still funny.
I was delighted it won both best actress & best sporting actress in Baftas. Not sure I liked Sandra Oh TBH. She was too old for the part.
Just reading the books & they are very good too.
I confess I binge watched both series & then watched them weekly too. First time I gave ever done this.
Roll on March 2020.

Farmor15 Sun 28-Jul-19 16:01:33

I read the 2 books on which series is loosely based and think they were much better than TV version. Ending of second book was satisfactory and didn’t leave it open for a 3rd.

It seems that any popular drama is now stretched out for another and another series till people get fed up and ratings drop.

POGS Sun 28-Jul-19 18:03:50

I watched Killing Eve on i player so knew the ending for a while and obviously didn't want to spoil things.

I thought it was as good as the first series. Jodi Comer plays the role of Villanelle brilliantly and deserves to win another BAFTA for Best Leading Actress.

I couldn't remember the ' 12 ' connection for example and I still don't know if I have missed something or if series 3 will make it clear. Can anybody give me a conclusive answer as to who/what the ' 12 ' are?

I think the comment by ' Hugo' when he was shot in Italy about ' playing dead' was so obvious I think that will be how Series 3 opens but of course I could be a mile from the truth and Eve is dead. I hope not.

Lazigirl Mon 29-Jul-19 17:13:40

I felt really disappointed in the second series, which I thought had lost its magic. Unfortunately this often happens with follow on series, but I think it suffered from having a different writer. I also felt Sandra Oh seemed a little old for the part she played, and the plot was weak primarily revolving around Villanelle and Eve's relationship, but Jodi Comer is superb. I wouldn't bother with a third series.