Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Rainy Sunday Afternoon T.V.

(24 Posts)
Calendargirl Sun 16-Jun-19 10:34:42

Although today is brighter, thankfully, after all the rain over the last few days, I love a wet Sunday afternoon to settle down and watch something without feeling guilty.
My preferences are a Miss Marple episode starring Joan Hickson, the true MM, or a black and white classic such as Went The Day Well, Brief Encounter, Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Ladykillers- I could go on.
What are other favourites I wonder?

Teetime Sun 16-Jun-19 11:44:22

We always enjoy a Bond for rainy afternoons, old Ealing comedies, a rom com we have seen before like Four weddings etc - anything we can nod off to and wake up not having missed anything. Fortunately we have Netflix and Amazon Prime so lots of choice a lot of rubbish but some gems too.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 16-Jun-19 11:46:50

I've just come downstairs and Mr.Gravy is watching Whisky Galore!!!!

SparklyGrandma Sun 16-Jun-19 11:48:27

Watching Frost on ITV3!

EllanVannin Sun 16-Jun-19 11:56:12

An old b/w film called the " Guinea Pig " is on ch 81 at the moment with a bit of a kid in it whose name is Richard Attenborough !
I love the Talking Pictures channel.

Very sunny at the moment though, with a muggy breeze which can only spell a storm for later sad

Anniebach Sun 16-Jun-19 12:07:51

Definitely ‘Four Weddings’, ‘When Harry Met Sally’

‘P.S. I Love You.’. ‘A Sandra Bullock comedy’

phoenix Sun 16-Jun-19 12:24:49

Tend to stick to radio here, don't usually go through to the sitting room until about 7pm, although on some Sunday afternoons Mr P has been known to sneak in and out the tv on!

Problem is, he always seems to choose some rather noisy film, with shooting or shouting or both!

I end up having to close the kitchen door so that I can actually hear the radio!

Witzend Sun 16-Jun-19 12:26:23

Ditto to the Joan Hickson MMs - nobody else ever even came close.
Blithe Spirit
Whistle Down The Wind
The Scarlet Pimpernel (the one with Leslie Howard who could go from ludicrous fop to steely hero in an instant, and was killed in WW2)
Rebecca (old B&W version)
The Pallisers (24 episodes!)
The Tamarind Seed - not so well known but (to me) a gripping Cold War thriller with Julie Andrews and Omar Sharif.
Must be plenty more I can't think of.
And if I've got little Gdcs staying, I can watch the good old Disneys such as Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and The Jungle Book, until the cows come home!

tanith Sun 16-Jun-19 12:38:49

I’m watching Whiskey Galore it was one of DHs favourite and it was pouring down so I thought he’d approve. If it rains later I’ll watch some more of Designated Survivor on Netflix.

Witzend Sun 16-Jun-19 12:49:43

Goodbye Mr Chips is one I forgot.
I thought the more recent remake, with Martin Clunes in the lead role, was excellent.

BTW, re more recent Miss Marples, I was unbelievably disappointed with a remake of Sleeping Murder. The JH version is seriously shiver-making - the new version made nothing of the creepy aspects - it fell even further short than most.

EllanVannin Sun 16-Jun-19 13:54:48

Catherine Cookson--ch20 @2.50, today, The Cinder Path.
I've watched these umpteen times on a Sunday afternoon but still enjoy them and each one helps to jog the memory.

We now have rain, heading for a storm---closing all windows now, dinner on the go so don't care if it snows.

annodomini Sun 16-Jun-19 14:44:30

Couldn't resist Pal Joey this afternoon - Sinatra, Rita Heyworth and Kim Novak; memorable songs. What's not to like?

oldgimmer1 Sun 16-Jun-19 14:49:09

Sëance on a Wet Afternoon. British, quirky and a great cast.
Perfect for a wet day. smile

paddyann Sun 16-Jun-19 16:23:07

Many years ago my sister who was newly engaged invited her inlaws to be for Sunday tea.We had all settled to watch a film called The Day They Gave Babies Away a heart rending 3 box of kleenex type film.Of course her inlaws arrived early and found a whole family in floods of tears including Dad .Hardly the welcome they expected .I have watched it agai over the years and it still makes me cry buckets.Its my overiding memory of wet Sunday films

nanny2507 Sun 16-Jun-19 16:26:38

i love an old classic. Harvey is one of my faves, or a doris day film

nanny2507 Sun 16-Jun-19 16:27:35

or jerry lewis the original nutty professor !!

craftyone Sun 16-Jun-19 16:30:57

radio this morning while doing a few jobs, then sophia on amazon prime, got to concentrate as in russian with subtitles. Enjoying it

Day6 Sun 16-Jun-19 16:36:11

Ha! Himself is watching cricket on Sky (has been for hours interspersed with the odd foray into the garden) so I am banished to my space and enjoyed the Mrs Merkel series on Amazon Prime.

I love an old black and white film though and modern rom-coms, which have been recorded for days when we are (happily) confined to home. I could watch Sleepless in Seattle and You've Got Mail over and over again when it's raining outside and the TV calls. And Serendipity, and Leap Year. (All absolute tosh but good for lazy days when you want to switch off.) The sun is shining now so we are going to brave a pre-dinner G&T in the garden together, as we haven't spoken to each other much today. Might have to take it indoors to the conservatory though, as it's blowy out there.

Jabberwok Sun 16-Jun-19 18:23:38

Inspector Morse!! House of Elliot, The Wind Cannot Read, (not a dry eye in the house!)Tale of Two Cities both with gorgeous Dirk Bogarde! Margaret Rutherford for Miss Marple! Although Joan Hickson was very good! Reach for the Sky with equally gorgeous Kenneth More! The Prince and the Showgirl! Tiger Bay, So many wonderful old films!

Jabberwok Sun 16-Jun-19 18:27:07

Oh yes, The Tamarind Seed! I saw that ages ago and absolutely loved it!

KatyK Sun 16-Jun-19 20:03:21

I can remember as a child in the 1950s, all us children would run home from playing outside on a Sunday afternoon to watch George Formby or Old Mother Riley films.

callgirl1 Sun 16-Jun-19 22:08:26

Goodbye Mr. Chips here as well, but I still love the original, starring Robert Donat, brings on the tears every time.

Jane43 Mon 17-Jun-19 15:18:56

I remember Carry On films being a regular feature of Sunday afternoons in the early sixties.

KatyK Mon 17-Jun-19 17:59:44

I watched A Kind of Loving this afternoon. Oh the nostalgia. Gorgeous Alan Bates smile