Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Beecham House-ITV.

(39 Posts)
EllanVannin Mon 24-Jun-19 11:01:41

I'd have called it " And mother came too " smile

Looking good so far but I'm bias in that I love all things India. The country, beautiful dresses, music, beautiful people, scenery and the sheer diversity.

M0nica Tue 25-Jun-19 22:25:41

I never thought I'd say it, but I have just read The Sun review of Beecham House. It say everything I think about costume dramas like this and their lack of any credibility with a wit and humour that I could not manage in a 1,000 years.

Forget any dislike of The Sun, just read this www.thesun.co.uk/news/9364474/beecham-house-self-loathing-british-empire/

MawBroonsback Tue 25-Jun-19 22:29:13

gringrin
I too take back all I ever thought of The Sun!
Says it all - and perfectly!

merlotgran Tue 25-Jun-19 22:37:29

Thanks, M0nica. grin grin

Callistemon Tue 25-Jun-19 22:40:52

For some reason of security I can't access that.

This is set in pre-British Empire - the days of the East India Company isn't it?

Callistemon Tue 25-Jun-19 22:41:44

I will try to access it on the main pc.

M0nica Tue 25-Jun-19 22:47:01

Callistemon Yes, it is set in 1795, but read the review and you will understand the title of the link.

Parsley3 Tue 25-Jun-19 22:58:25

I have just watched episode 2. The baby is the best thing about this. The acting is dire and not helped by the risible dialogue. Mrs Patmore, as was, is especially laboured and delivers her lines as if she can’t quite remember what comes next. Her character could have been witty and sharp and injected some much needed humour.
I will give it one more chance before I give up on it.

Callistemon Tue 25-Jun-19 23:03:47

Thank you for the link M0nica - wonderful!
grin grin

I also liked TV Answers of the week, just below the article

and can just understand the logic of the first answer grin

Callistemon Tue 25-Jun-19 23:04:58

DH, in between bouts of nodding off during the first episode, did wonder if they were hot in all those clothes.
We still haven't watched episode 2.

TerriBull Wed 26-Jun-19 07:56:49

I keep falling asleep in it too and can't be bothered with catch up, the bits I've seen look somewhat Mills and Boon like. I believe The Guardian reviewed it as "One man and his beard try to save India" which sounds about right.

I did notice that General Castillion is played by the French actor who was in the sublime French series "Spiral" Engrenages and if he hadn't already expired in that I'd have been willing him to get himself back across the channel to give us a much awaited Season 6, instead of this
bollocks rather lamentable offering.

aggie Wed 26-Jun-19 11:47:44

I had to turn it

Jane10 Wed 26-Jun-19 13:45:21

Oh dear it certainly hasn't improved. I read that the producer hopes to have another series commissioned. Dream on!

BlueBelle Wed 26-Jun-19 13:54:20

I fell asleep in part 1 and haven’t got as far as finishing that yet now wondering if I ll bother