Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Poldark

(154 Posts)
Shirleyw Wed 03-Jul-19 17:10:42

looking forward to this,,,the final series too

Callistemon Tue 27-Aug-19 23:13:22

I've forgotten who Selina is (so many characters)

Young Valentine was terrific, a great actor.

Thanks for the synopsis, MawB

Callistemon Tue 27-Aug-19 23:05:38

Laibak Cap'n Poldark is the 007 of the 1800s!

Labaik Tue 27-Aug-19 14:17:41

He was in the recent adaptation of Les Miserables. I suppose he always was going to turn out hotheaded. Oh, I must read today's Telegraph review of last night's episode; the previous one was hilarious...

Millie22 Tue 27-Aug-19 13:40:32

Valentine does find some happiness with Selina in the later books and keeps a gorilla as a pet. I think it was a gorilla Maw am I right? The little boy who played Valentine was great in this series.

Gonegirl Tue 27-Aug-19 12:51:36

Mawbroon that's great! grin

Save me reading the books. Shame about Valentine. Thought he would turn out good.

Gonegirl Tue 27-Aug-19 12:49:03

I think it's become really rubbishy. Still got the last one to watch on catch-up, but not sure I'll bother. All pretty dresses, too much simpering, and Ross looks ridiculous most of the time.

Disappointing.

Brunette10 Tue 27-Aug-19 12:46:18

Thanks Maw, wow poor George, never would have thought he would turn out like that. Makes me want to read the book now.

gma Tue 27-Aug-19 12:19:46

Well that’s the end then! Or is it??
Am I the only one in the country never to have watched even one episode of Poldork?

Labaik Tue 27-Aug-19 12:10:06

...pity about Valentine, though; he seemed to have more sense than the rest of them put together...

Labaik Tue 27-Aug-19 12:08:25

Thanks MawB; I feel a bit better about last nights episode now I realise that the bit about Demelza being pregnant etc was from the books. I'll never get round to reading all of the books [too much of a backlog already] but we're hoping to visit Cornwall later in the year and I'd like to read the first one while I'm there.

SueDonim Tue 27-Aug-19 11:36:55

Oh wow, thank you, MawB! That's very satisfying to know. I needn't read the books now but should the series ever be revived I will doubtless have forgotten the endings and will enjoy it all afresh. grin

Persistentdonor Tue 27-Aug-19 08:30:44

I did find George's ambidextrous shooting rather impressive.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 27-Aug-19 08:30:41

Fiachna56

The books are good. I've not read them all - 8 of them in the 1970s. (there are 12). About to start reading them all , this time round.

I've always had a love for Cornwall. Holidays here in early 1960s. I moved to Cornwall 6 years ago to complete my love of the county.

Jane10 Tue 27-Aug-19 08:10:24

Thanks MawB. That all sounds fine except for poor George. Awww. He could do with a bit of luck instead of just money. What happens to sneery 'uncle'? How did the ladies get on in Jamaica? Does Ross ever get his coat cleaned? So many questions!

MawB Tue 27-Aug-19 07:32:25

For those who can’t live without Capn Ross-spoiler alert, so look away now if you don’t want to know how the story goes on (in the books)
Ross and Demelza are with us to the end, as is George, though he’s made a disastrous business decision and been robbed by Ross’s son, Jeremy. George also remarries – a noblewoman, though she’s only in it for the money. Drake and Morwenna end up running a shipbuilding business in Looe. Geoffrey Charles returns from war with a Spanish bride and reopens Trenwith. Dwight Enys becomes physician to mad King George III, and he and his wife, Caroline, who lost their baby daughter to a heart defect in series four, go on to have two more children. George’s son, Valentine (actually fathered by Ross) turns into a bit of a cad, then dies. Jeremy also meets his maker, but honourably at the Battle of Waterloo. Their youngest daughter, Bella, the one Demelza tells Ross she is carrying at the end of last night’s episode, goes on to be a talented singer and actress on the London stage.
So there.

Fiachna56 Tue 27-Aug-19 00:58:17

Woodmouse I thought that was a lovely acknowledgement too. Personally, I have loved both the 70s version and this one. Sunday nights won't be the same. You never know, maybe I will read the books. A friend of mine read the whole series and tells me the books are excellent. On another interesting note, did anyone realise that Winston Graham also wrote Marnie?

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 27-Aug-19 00:49:11

I loved the acknowledgement to the original series.

Robin Ellis and Aidan Turner face to face. Robin Ellis is my favourite Captain Ross Poldark. smile wink

SueDonim Tue 27-Aug-19 00:35:00

'*I swear to you, my love, I will return.*' So, will he or won't he? Christmas (special) at Nampara, maybe? grin

Some fantastic bits and some fantastically silly ones, too. I loved how we discovered that George does have a heart hidden deep in that carapace. Jack Farthing has been excellent in the role.

Tears for the Enyses - may they soon have another baby to adore!

I like the explosions, too, and the come-uppance of the baddies in their nighties! grin

All's well that ends well.

Labaik Mon 26-Aug-19 23:54:51

Hadn't got the faintest idea what was going on [this is why I don't watch whodunnit's or James Bond films].

merlotgran Mon 26-Aug-19 22:26:07

I was sorry Valentine didn't get to own his mine and have Ross as his mentor.

tanith Mon 26-Aug-19 22:17:45

All a bit rushed and convenient but I enjoyed it.

MawB Mon 26-Aug-19 22:01:26

I secretly liked soppy Dr Ennis - oh and George!

Jane10 Mon 26-Aug-19 21:59:52

Well that's that then. Alls well that ends well. Good old George came good when necessary and the bad guys were caught.
Fine. Time this series was over.

SueDonim Wed 21-Aug-19 00:08:20

Oh well, I'm enjoying it all! Perhaps not poor Despard's demise, but I am laughing at some of it, such as Cecily's announcement in the church.

I'm glad to hear H&E will be putting a fence up round the school. I was somewhat concerned about that. grin

Callistemon Mon 19-Aug-19 19:41:24

I wish they hadn't included the real history, it is detracting from the Poldark saga.
It wasn't in the books, was it?

Don't worry, the Health and Safety Executive will ensure there is a sturdy fence around the playground.