Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Poldark

(153 Posts)
Shirleyw Wed 03-Jul-19 17:10:42

looking forward to this,,,the final series too

Ellianne Wed 03-Jul-19 17:14:09

I can't wait. Sad it's coming to and end. Do the books actually take the story further?

merlotgran Wed 03-Jul-19 17:34:55

The books go on forever, Elliane grin I'm also looking forward to it.

Peonyrose Wed 03-Jul-19 22:17:21

He will have to go on a strict diet if he wants to get into his breeches now!

Maggiemaybe Wed 03-Jul-19 22:59:35

Why's that, Peonyrose?

I've heard that this series actually fills in the gap between a couple of the books, because those that haven't been televised focussed more on the next generation. I'm looking forward to it.

merlotgran Wed 03-Jul-19 23:24:57

Yes. There's a ten year jump from when Elizabeth dies to the next book.

Ellianne Sun 14-Jul-19 18:53:25

It's back, tonight!!

merlotgran Sun 14-Jul-19 18:56:16

Do you think the tennis will be over by then? grin

Whitewavemark2 Sun 14-Jul-19 19:05:30

That’s what ive just asked merlot

Blinko Sun 14-Jul-19 19:24:41

I've watched every episode so far but thinking I'll give this latest one a miss. It's melodrama, pure and simple. Therefore predictable and - er - boring. (is there a 'ducks' emoticon?)

Whitewavemark2 Sun 14-Jul-19 19:31:54

Love melodrama at times and sometimes predictability suits me down to the ground.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 14-Jul-19 19:32:52

Demelza is in Poldark????

RosieLeah Sun 14-Jul-19 20:27:16

I prefer to keep my memories of the first series, (with Robin Ellis and Angharad Rees). Why do we get so many new versions of old series. Has no-one the imagination to think up something new?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 14-Jul-19 20:30:22

They don’t do bad really. Did you see Summer of Rockets? Excellent. Years and Years. Gentleman Jack. Killing Eve.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 14-Jul-19 20:31:31

What I meant was Delmelza is in Poirot, at the moment. Stupid me.

Jane10 Sun 14-Jul-19 21:55:55

Well I still think that George is more interesting than Ross. Poor George.
I also like his sneery/smarmy sidekick /uncle too. I don't fancy them! I just like them. Elizabeth was very wet. So is Demelza. Ross still looks like he smells.

LullyDully Mon 15-Jul-19 08:06:42

A bit pedestrian so far imo. He is looking seedy these days.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 15-Jul-19 08:14:05

Pedestrian is right. It may buck up

Teetime Mon 15-Jul-19 08:56:56

Oh dear. I tried to watch it as DH liked the last series but how dreary and dull it is. I need something a bit cheerier on a Sunday night.

merlotgran Mon 15-Jul-19 09:43:23

Now that Debbie Horsefield has the script to herself and is no longer following the books (we should be ten years on but we're not) I don't think it's going to be as good.

I can understand Uncle Warleggan thinking that George was hallucinating when he said he'd seen Jake Carne at Trenwith (Phew!) but did neither of them notice somebody had lit the fire? grin

And....If an arson attack had nearly burned your house down and you were employing the person you think was responsible, would you then swan off to London leaving your two children in the care of Prudie and the suspected nutter? hmm

Bring back Jud. Please?

OurKid1 Mon 15-Jul-19 10:16:13

I thought there was something lacking in last night's episode. Now I know why - it's not based on an actual book. It seemed to move very quickly from one event to another; the fire which seemed so awful was dealt with very quickly (emptying the pot of water on it did the trick seemingly!); Ross seemed to be all over the place - Cornwall one minute, London the next and all the while with Demelza laughing indulgently at his antics.

I wonder why they've gone off piste with this one, if there really aren't to be any more. There are loads of books to be got through yet. I also wondered at the flashback to Ross's injury too. They haven't done that before have they?

Maybe next week it will sort itself out. I do hope so ... I've been looking forward to it since the last series finished.

Calendargirl Mon 15-Jul-19 10:27:38

I think the flashback to Ross’s injury was to introduce the new character Ned who apparently was a real life character. And who actually owns Trenwith? Is it George or Geoffrey Charles?

Ellianne Mon 15-Jul-19 10:59:50

Yes, I thought it was disappointing too and I actually missed the horse thundering scenes over the cliff top. The most poignant bits of acting for me were the diffucult scenes between Morwenna and her new husband.

Ellianne Mon 15-Jul-19 11:01:32

You're right merlotgran, that going off to London bit was very weird at the end.

SueDonim Mon 15-Jul-19 12:28:47

How old is Garrick the dog now?? Guinness book of records territory? And where's Horace?!