Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Proms........

(7 Posts)
Luckygirl Sun 21-Jul-19 16:01:16

.......are back! Hooray!

I am just listening to the Glagolitic Mass on catch-up and remembering when I sang it in a Three Choirs Festival in Hereford. Wonderful!

And lots more wonderful things to come. Do not miss The Lost Words Prom - I won't say too much, because it is too outing, but I have a very close family connection to this event and my bosom will be swelling with pride.

merlotgran Sun 21-Jul-19 16:26:23

Missed the first night but looking forward to tonight's.

Can't find The Lost Words prom in the TV schedule though.

Luckygirl Sun 21-Jul-19 17:38:05

I have just looked and you are right - an important aspect of the Spell Songs is the visual art being painted onstage and projected behind the singers on huge screens. I assumed it would be televised. What a shame!

Here's a good review: “… one of the most sublime evenings you will ever enjoy. The magic of these superstars onstage - the art, the music, the sheer, ravishing beauty of the language... one of the greatest concerts we've ever had at Hay. Long, rapturous standing ovation. People weeping for joy”

Peter Florence, Festival Director, Hay International Literary Festival

merlotgran Sun 21-Jul-19 18:32:12

That's a shame, Luckygirl. You'd think with all those visual images it would be perfect for a televised concert.

MiniMoon Sun 21-Jul-19 20:20:23

Smetana's Ma Vlast, what an awesome piece of music. On BBC 4 now. He is one of my favourite composers.

I wonder why the Lost Words prom isn't being televised. It sounds beautiful.

Happiyogi Sun 21-Jul-19 21:03:50

Thanks for mentioning this. I had completely forgotten!

Luckygirl Sun 21-Jul-19 21:36:52

The Smetana was a revelation - I had actually forgotten how long it is - beautifully played. And the Dvorak violin concerto was truly lovely.

It was lovely to see Jess Gillam doing some of the intros on BBC4.