Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

I am Kirsty

(20 Posts)
gillybob Tue 30-Jul-19 23:31:54

I shouldn’t have watched it .

Poor, poor lady and her lovely girls. It’s probably going on right around us (well maybe not all of us) right now although I suspect plenty would deny it.

So sad.

Marelli Wed 31-Jul-19 06:17:19

Really good drama, gillybob, as was last week's 'I am Nicola'.

gillybob Wed 31-Jul-19 07:34:18

It was a good drama Marelli but it really was quite depressing. I was almost shouting at the TV when she took the money from the dad at the school gates thinking he was being kind . It’s awful to think that people have to live like this.

I will try to get “I am Nicola” on catch up although I’m probably miserable enough without watching these kinds of very real dramas.

travelsafar Wed 31-Jul-19 08:19:50

I did think it was a bit far fetched though as surely she would have been able to go to a food bank and get some help with benefits as she had two vulnerable children in the home. So glad she finally stood up to that vile man and showed him for what he was.

gillybob Wed 31-Jul-19 08:22:53

I’m not sure travels as she was working wasn’t she? Sometimes the working poor are by far worse off than those who are not. Yes she did pay the money back but it’s how she paid it back that upset me the most.

mosaicwarts Wed 31-Jul-19 08:23:15

Great drama, I missed the beginning. Have recorded the series now.

overthehill Wed 31-Jul-19 08:53:35

Yes very sad but well acted by Samantha Morton who for anyone who doesn’t know had a unhappy childhood herself being taken into care. Just proves you can rise above such things if you are determined.

TwiceAsNice Wed 31-Jul-19 08:57:08

I have this on record. I watched I am Nicola which was very good, an excellent example of coercive control

travelsafar Wed 31-Jul-19 14:38:45

gillybob i think she only worked part time as she took children to school and also collected them. I felt she was a vulnerable as her two little girls. sad

fizzers Wed 31-Jul-19 14:42:55

I wondered how she managed to make a grand in a week , considering she was working and had children to care for, when did she fit in the 'other job'? and how much was she charging?

glammanana Wed 31-Jul-19 15:38:36

Sadly this goes on now I think more than ever before but firmly brushed under the carpet for obvious reasons.This story could relate to someone who just earned enough to stop her claiming food bank relief or other help and making her one of the poorest in her community.
fizzers the story shows her "working" at home probably when her children are asleep and she would have to "work" 20 times at say £50 an hour to make her £1k payment to that dreadful man.

Jane43 Wed 31-Jul-19 17:46:29

Samantha Morton is an outstanding actress and made this compulsive viewing. It was, sadly, a story of our times.

Grandma2213 Sun 04-Aug-19 23:41:31

I have watched both 'I am Nicola' and 'I am Kirsty' and found them both compelling and beautifully acted. I think it's true that the working poor are far worse off than those who don't work. I have been there and though not in such desperate circumstances as Kirsty I know how it feels. Luckily I did not have to make her choices but I admire her for taking control, though obviously in a way that she wouldn't have chosen, so that evil man could not control her.

It seems from what I have heard that her circumstances are not unusual even in this day and age either to ensure a place to live or to provide for children.

gillybob Mon 05-Aug-19 12:28:21

I watched "I am Nicola" last night and whilst I am not married to a control freak by any means (quite the opposite actually) I totally related to her feelings of hopelessness and having nothing to look forward to or talk about.

I work almost completely alone with no one to talk to (except Gransnet) and my social life is almost zero. No trips, holidays or outings to look forward to unless you count a day out when I am looking after the children .
Just the same old, same old, day in, day out, week in, week out . I am "only" 57 and beginning to think "that's it then" .

I bought a new dress in the sales at the weekend, which was too much of a bargain to miss, but then thought on the lines of "it wasn't really a bargain at all, because I will probably never get to wear it" .

I'm sick of feeling this miserable (I know its Monday which doesn't help) and probably just need a good kick up the backside .

Auntieflo Mon 05-Aug-19 12:46:08

Gillybob, consider yourself kicked up the backside.
You come across as such a lovely person, and you are a great mum and grandma to your brood.
I know you work too hard, and that you have told us it is necessary, but I bet your workforce know they have a good, caring boss.
Please tell yourself you are worth every thing in the world to your family and staff.
( We all think so on here, and we all count)
I could be your mum, as I am 20 years older than you, so I am sending you a big
{{{ hug}}} and some flowers.

gillybob Mon 05-Aug-19 13:03:25

Thank you for that Auntieflo

I definitely don't work "too hard" (as I am on and off Gransnet all day) but I have to be here to take calls and respond to emails, do accounts, wages etc. It gets quite lonely when you have no-one to even pass the time of day with. I think the (recently depleted) workforce couldn't care less really as long as they are being paid.

My DH and I are such soft touches, neither of us are cut to run a business really . Sometimes it feels like its the other way around and the lads have all the control and we have very little, none even.

I don't think age really has anything much to do with how you feel as long as you are relatively fit and healthy and have a decent social life and stuff to look forward to.

I think maybe its just that Monday feeling that has got me all miserable.

Thank you for your kind words and the gentle kick smile

GabriellaG54 Mon 05-Aug-19 16:04:58

I never watch programmes which are fiction, not real life.
It's rubbish and why would anyone who has depressive moments, watch a programme such as the one mentioned here?

GabriellaG54 Mon 05-Aug-19 16:08:19

£50 a trick? Haha...more like £20.

Overthehills Mon 05-Aug-19 18:51:41

Like Spitting Image you mean Gab?
Despicable comments.

TwiceAsNice Mon 05-Aug-19 18:57:50

I really felt for her. I think a lot of women would do anything for their children even prostitute yourself , I’m sure it’s more common than we would like to think.

It wasn’t clear how long it took her to get the money, I liked the fact she gave it back at the school gates to make him feel uncomfortable disgusting man! I hoped she would go to the police as she was being blackmailed and harassed but she obviously felt she could not which is doubly sad. There for the grace of God....