Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Proms - the BBC variety!

(33 Posts)
Luckygirl Sun 11-Aug-19 21:16:56

The BBC National Chorus of Wales singing the Mozart Requiem from memory - wow!!!

merlotgran Sun 11-Aug-19 22:25:14

I'm looking forward to watching it on iPlayer.

Luckygirl Mon 12-Aug-19 08:23:47

Enjoy!

merlotgran Thu 15-Aug-19 20:27:09

I've watched it twice, Luckygirl. It's magnificent.

When DG1 was about five and staying with us for a week she would listen to whichever CD I was playing while getting tea ready and the Offortorium was always her favourite bit because 'they were singing about Holby City' confused

Promisisti. grin grin

And there was I thinking it was the beautiful harmonies that had captured her interest. grin

It really does sound like Holby City BTW

Happiyogi Thu 15-Aug-19 22:20:30

It was wonderful! Have been recording many of the tv broadcasts this year to enjoy them again.

I was SO disappointed though that the Argerich/Barenboim concert on Monday evening was only on the radio. I kept staring at the blank screen while I listened, willing the pictures to appear! I'm hoping that it was filmed and will appear somewhere in the future.

Am looking forward to Stephen Hough playing Queen Victoria's golden piano on Sunday!

MiniMoon Thu 15-Aug-19 22:29:11

I really enjoyed the Warner Brothers story, with the John Wilson orchestra. My husband was working, so I had the television all to myself.

Marilla Thu 15-Aug-19 22:33:01

Mini moon, wasn’t it a fabulous performance by the John Wilson Orchestra? Fantastic choice of music, musicians at the top of their craft, all lead by the wonderful and passionate John Wilson.

Luckygirl Fri 16-Aug-19 09:13:52

I am so cross that the Lost Words prom is not going to be televised. The Lost Words group section of it was my DD's brainchild and it has had a sell-out around the country, including QE Hall, Snape Maltings - we feel very proud of her. But it is madness not to televise it, as during the singing Jackie Morris, the artist, is creating paintings onstage - they appear behind the musicians as she paints.

The Proms have added extra stuff around the theme and the original project.

Luckygirl Fri 16-Aug-19 21:35:17

Tonight's prom with the American youth orchestra was brilliantly played - I had already heard it on the radio and looked forward greatly to seeing it "live."

But why oh why were these poor young people dressed in such a distracting and unattractive way?! Boys: white shirts, black ties and black jacket with shiny lapels. Girls: white T-shirts, black narrow bit of material tied round necks and black jacket with shiny lapels.
Both sexes: bright red trousers with black and white trainers and no socks!!!

In a way I felt it detracted from the serious brilliance and interpretation of the music which was stunning.

MiniMoon Fri 16-Aug-19 22:22:24

I thought they looked smart. They are the National Youth Orchestra of America, and Americans like their uniforms. Look at all the matching bands, cheerleaders etc. It didn't detract from the wonderful music as far as I was concerned.

Happiyogi Sat 17-Aug-19 01:35:17

Luckygirl, that must be very disappointing for you, but well done to your daughter!

I'm finding the coverage frustrating too. I keep wishing they'd show the current day's concert in real time, rather than a recording from the previous weekend. I'm sure they could drop some of the summer repeats schedule to make space on the BBC for more of the BBC Proms!

Grandma70s Sat 17-Aug-19 08:16:53

I’m looking forward to seeing Stephen Hough play the gold piano, too. There was a snippet on BBC breakfast yesterday. Stephen Hough is such a complex man, author of both fiction and non-fiction, exhibited painter, deep thinker, that I was amazed how laid back and relaxed he seemed.

I’ve sung in a few proms. Unless it’s improved, the RAH is a most uncomfortable place to sing in. It’s very hot, and too big to make a good concert hall. Spectacular, though, and when you’re on the platform the whole auditorium is visible.

I thought the outfits of the USA youth orchestra were awful, especially the matching sneakers. Good playing on the whole. At least some of the brass players were actually from the GB National Youth Orchestra, which has been going since 1948. The USA one wasn’t founded until 2012!

BlueSapphire Sat 17-Aug-19 08:28:34

I too watched that last night and thought their uniform was dreadful; the red trousers were very distracting, I couldn't take my eyes off them. Didn't mind the sneakers though.

But nothing could distract from the brilliance of their playing, and the concentration on their faces.

Luckygirl Sat 17-Aug-19 08:54:26

I am glad that it is not just me being stuffy about the clothes!

Have a uniform by all means but make it a coherent one. They looked as though they were going to a wedding on the top and going to the beach from the waist down!

Happiyogi Sat 17-Aug-19 10:34:48

I agree about the distracting clothing and eventually decided that if they were determined to be "two tone" that black trousers with a red jacket might have been easier on the eye. Or maybe they'd just have ended up looking like holiday camp entertainers!

merlotgran Sat 17-Aug-19 10:44:03

Until DH commented on the trousers I hadn't taken any notice of their clothes.

Loved Joyce diDonato's hairstyle and her wonderful voice.

Happiyogi Sat 17-Aug-19 10:59:25

Grandma70s, how wonderful to have sung in the Albert Hall. I'm very interested to hear your experience that it's less glamorous than it looks!

I'm fascinated by the close up shots of orchestra and choir members and always wonder about all those individual lives temporarily on hold while everyone makes their personal contribution to something greater than the sum of its parts.

I'm a Stephen Hough fan too. Have been lucky enough to see him play twice. He must have had a busy day of interviews yesterday - I heard him on R3 and R4 and you saw him on television. He does have a very calm manner and is a very good communicator.

annodomini Sat 17-Aug-19 11:40:37

Last week I saw and heard the National Youth Orchestra of Scotland playing in Dundee and very impressive they were. I can't remember what they were wearing - not red trousers and I don't know if they worse socks or not and I really don't care. I think the boys all wore the same tie, but what really captured my attention was the superb music and I wouldn't have given too hoots if they had all been wearing red trousers and no socks!

merlotgran Sun 18-Aug-19 19:02:11

Really looking forward to tonight's concert.

Luckygirl Sun 18-Aug-19 21:07:43

Wow! - what a wonderful concert!

That piano was brilliant - such a beautiful tone - and such beautiful playing. And I loved the tenor songs - nothing like a bit of Victorian slop!

The conductor was so involved and excited and delighting in everything - he was a joy to watch.

I loved the slow movement of the piano concerto. Definitely one to listen to again on catch-up.

merlotgran Sun 18-Aug-19 21:14:54

The slow movement is so beautiful. I don't care how many times I hear it and the piano was the star of the night.

Agree about the songs.

Happiyogi Sun 18-Aug-19 22:13:02

Wasn't it just wonderful. More like that please!

MiniMoon Sun 18-Aug-19 23:26:30

Mendelssohn's Scottish symphony is one of my favourites. Prince Albert was quite a good musician judging by the songs.
I saw the piano in Buckingham Palace last summer when DH and I were in holiday. It was lovely to hear it being played.
I thoroughly enjoyed tonight's concert.

Grandma70s Mon 19-Aug-19 07:28:14

Loved it. Stephen Hough did a brilliant job dealing with a piano very different from the modern concert grands he is used to. I thought his hands looked rather too big for the keyboard, but it didn't seem to affect his playing.

Interesting to hear Prince Albert’s songs. Quite banal and unchallenging, but very well performed. For some reason songs always sound better to me in German. I suppose it’s the association with Schubert.

My brother thought the piano so ugly it was worthy of Trump. I don’t agree. I thought it was rather pretty when seen in its 19thC context. It had a very sweet tone.

MiniMoon Fri 23-Aug-19 22:49:46

Did anyone watch the Prom on BBC4 tonight.
I wasn't so interested in the first two pieces, but wow, Belshazzar's Feast was glorious.
I adore choral music, and wish I was near enough to a good choir, if they'd have me of course.