Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Binge watching

(44 Posts)
fizzers Sat 17-Aug-19 15:04:22

Does anyone else binge watch programmes?

My friend tells me the second series of MINDHUNTERS is now available on Netflix, I shall binge watch as many episodes as I can.

I must admit that the ability to to download and watch a whole series on Sky and on Netflix has gotten me into this habit - Sky Atlantic and Sky Witness have had some pretty good series on recently

NanKate Wed 25-Sep-19 18:31:14

Just watched the first episode of Criminal Minds on Netflix excellent.

Labaik Wed 25-Sep-19 17:17:46

Realised I'd watched the last Game of Thrones series at my daughters then, when I bought the DVD gave it to my son to watch. So, having started to rewatch it before the final series comes out on DVD I realised I didn't remember most of it, so I'm binge watching that. Thank goodness the last ever series is being released quite early this time. Have already seen far too many spoilers....

dragonfly46 Wed 25-Sep-19 07:58:25

When we don’t know what to watch we watch Madame Secretary - she solves all the world problems. Also binge watched Unbelievable. Found The Staircase too creepy.

Nortsat46 Wed 25-Sep-19 07:37:11

Yes, re-watched Peaky Blinders, re-watched Downton Abbey.
Loved Vikings, the Good Wife and the Good Fight, mostly whilst in bed unwell over the last nine months.
We don't watch much television on a day to day basis, except the News...
Binge watching helps with the boredom of lengthy periods of illness.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 25-Sep-19 07:19:59

Espee, me too! Works for books as well. We might as well take any advantage of getting older that we can get!

grannydarkhair Tue 24-Sep-19 22:40:16

My favourite "binges" include The West Wing, The Sopranos, Mad Men, Oz, Rome, Breaking Bad, Frasier, Spiral (French). The West Wing and The Sopranos are my top two TV programmes ever. Incredible acting, directing, production values.
I'm a long time Outlander books fan (read Cross Stitch in 1991 when it was first published in the UK), I have watched the Starz series but do not think it does justice to the books. I appreciate most of the casting and definitely the acting, it's the writing/deviation from the books I dislike, although I do appreciate they are lengthy and difficult to condense.

NanKate Mon 23-Sep-19 19:48:48

Do try Unbelievable on Netflix episode 1 rather repetitive but then the rest of the series gains momentum.

Delila Mon 23-Sep-19 17:01:36

Came very late to Madmen, then binge watched the lot. Loved it!

Esspee Wed 28-Aug-19 15:46:05

One of the advantages of getting older for me is that I can re watch programmes I enjoyed..............with absolutely no idea of the ending. grin

craftyone Wed 28-Aug-19 15:09:28

Oh yes I binge watch when I find something that grips me, outlander and recently the crown, so nice when this happens, something enjoyable to watch

humptydumpty Tue 27-Aug-19 12:08:59

Just binge-watched Keeping Faith too, didn't wanbt to wait to find out what happened next! I agree though, it is nice to have weekly epiusodes to look forward too, but being able to watch whole series is great if you've come to them late smile

whywhywhy Tue 27-Aug-19 11:38:25

We binge watched Line of Duty, Luther and Scott and Bailey and it is great! I love getting all settled and watching them like this. Really brightens up a boring sunday!

Labaik Tue 27-Aug-19 11:35:22

Just made up, NanKate ! I'm not all that keen on Outlander but binge watched series 2 at my daughters whilst dog/house sitting [I seem to do that a lot since they got the dog !] which I wasn't really enjoying but the ending was so annoyingly bloomin' great that I immediately needed to watch series 3. Same thing has happened with Vikings. Just as I resolve to stop watching it King Rollo [swoon] appears on the horizon, back from France to save everyone.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 27-Aug-19 09:14:06

Longest binge watch was all of MASH

NanKate Tue 27-Aug-19 08:24:28

I have watched all the Outlander series and I suspect will rewatch them from the beginning again, I’ve read most of the books too. ?

Labaik what an unusual name is it a place ?

Labaik Tue 27-Aug-19 00:08:50

The tv in my kitchen no longer works but I can play dvd's on it. As I get bored tidying up etc without a tv on I've started catching up on series that I have on dvd. Just finished watching The White Princess; have to decide on Breaking Bad series 2 or Outlander series 3 next. At least, in the kitchen, I can't fall asleep which I do when binge watching in the living room;I then have to rewatch it all. Took me ages to watch Years and Years properly...so wish Stranger Things was on dvd as I don't have Netflix. Binge watched series 1 at my daughters last weekend whilst house sitting....

NanKate Sun 18-Aug-19 17:39:22

I too binge watch. Usually one and a half episodes at a time so if it ends on a climax I can see what happens immediately, none of this waiting lark. I no longer watch live programmes, well rarely.

I prefer series to films.

Went crossed eyed watching The Staircase on Netflix and The Keepers. ?both excellent.

RosieLeah Sun 18-Aug-19 17:31:18

I have bought the full DVD sets of Cadfael, Lost and Family at War, and sit and watch them one after another. Never get tired of them.
On Saturday afternoons, the drama channel shows several episodes of old series all afternoon.
You just need to get yourself organised as regards meals etc., then park yourself and enjoy!

GagaJo Sun 18-Aug-19 15:55:58

Yes, crystaltips I've binged all 3 series of Swingers. Hope you enjoy series 3!

crystaltipps Sun 18-Aug-19 12:30:20

Has anyone watched Swingers on Walter Presents All4? It’s about a couple who move in next door to another couple and...it’s Dutch - now there’s a 3rd series which I’m really looking forward to watching. Also can’t wait for series 3 of the Crown on Netflix, currently engrossed in Orange is the New Black last series with all of the old characters in it. Too much to watch!

Eloethan Sun 18-Aug-19 12:16:03

We have recently binge watched a few series, sometimes staying up until the early hours of the morning to "just see the next one". Some have been very good and well worth the effort but others have left us feeling "why have we wasted so much time and gone to bed so late just to watch this rather disappointing series".

Now, if I start to watch something I'm not particularly enjoying I don't invest any more time in it. But, on the whole, I think I prefer watching a series week by week rather than binge watching.

KatyK Sun 18-Aug-19 11:50:35

Gagajo My DH has watched Breaking Bad before and is watching it again with me. He got obsessed with it first time and had a couple of t shirts. It's not everyone's cup of tea but I like it.

paddyann Sat 17-Aug-19 23:35:28

currently binge watching Manifest and The Blacklist ,Blacklist is quite violent so Manifest to break it up a bit

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 17-Aug-19 23:23:46

willa45
So agree. The times I look back and think sugar !

Admin - please lets have an edit button. `please

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 17-Aug-19 23:21:09

Charleygirl5

Have another go with Line of Duty. I've recently binged watched Series 1 - Series 4. Brilliant. Love Series 3. Keely Hawes - amazing.

Please stick with it.