Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Sanditon

(86 Posts)
Sparklefizz Mon 26-Aug-19 09:43:37

Any views on Sanditon, the new sexed-up version of the book Jane Austen started but never finished? First episode was last night.

Lisagran Mon 26-Aug-19 21:53:50

inews.co.uk/culture/television/sanditon-where-filmed-filming-locations-jane-austen-series-itv/

Filmed in North Somerset apparently

Sparklefizz Tue 27-Aug-19 10:31:43

And in South Gloucestershire for Dyrham Park.

seacliff Fri 30-Aug-19 21:17:47

I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it as a bit of light hearted fun, with some gorgeous scenery, that is the Somerset coastline. Well Theo James is a bit of alright too grin

Anne Reid was great. I thought Rose Williams was beautiful, hadn't come across her before. I enjoyed the dancing, probably because I also loved the music on Gentleman Jack.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 30-Aug-19 21:21:43

The sea bit was filmed near where I live, but haven't watched it yet but will do one evening on catchup

seacliff Fri 30-Aug-19 21:39:35

I envy you being near those cliffs Barmeyoldbat, looks stunning. The Suffolk "cliffs" are not in the same league at all.

Eloethan Fri 30-Aug-19 23:12:00

I started watching it but didn 't like it. The young woman playing the lead part didn't convince me at all and most of the other characters felt to me like they were over acting.

I'm not keen on Jane Austen but have seen some TV and film adaptations that I've enjoyed.

M0nica Sat 31-Aug-19 08:12:29

Eloethan what you are watching is an Andrew Davis production. The link with Jane Austen is tenuous in the extreme. She left 11 chapters of a first draft of a book going nowhere when she gave up on it. Like any first draft it is not well written and if she had ever returned to it, she would probably have ditched most of it and started again.

I enjoy a well produced and accurate dramatisation of a historic novel and appreciate that changes are often necessary when moving a story from one medium to another. But I cannot be bothered with the adaptations where the adapter puts themself on a higher level than the original author and dramatises the version of the novel he/she thinks the author should have written.

Anja Sat 31-Aug-19 08:15:09

Not very authentic

Greenfinch Sat 31-Aug-19 09:03:29

Agreed Anja.A young girl of that age would never be allowed to visit such a household even in those days.

Anja Sat 31-Aug-19 13:54:58

Absolutely.

SueDonim Sun 01-Sep-19 13:32:06

I watched this last night and enjoyed it as a Regency Romp. I agree about the Gentleman Jack-style music. I'm partway through GJ, and enjoying that, too.

The sex scene passed me by completely. I was astonished to read about it in the reviews, thinking 'What sex scene?' confused I'll watch the next episode with my glasses on. grin

DanniRae Sun 01-Sep-19 13:59:43

The jury is out for me? hmm

EllanVannin Sun 01-Sep-19 16:22:07

Sex scene my eye. A couple in the woods as seen from behind a tree at a distance ?

grumppa Sun 01-Sep-19 17:27:12

If it hadn't been given so much pre-publicity the sex scene would have gone pretty much unnoticed.

ginny Sun 01-Sep-19 20:32:03

I need glasses too then. Sex scene ? Never entered my mind that anything other than a clandestine meeting was taking place.
I not even thinking about it being Jane Austen . I’ll just enjoy it ( or not) as a entertainment ( or not).

seacliff Sun 01-Sep-19 22:28:05

I too have ignored the Jane Austen aspect. Just a jolly romp with (in my opinion) great music. I enjoyed it tonight.

EllanVannin Sun 01-Sep-19 22:39:06

I won't be buying a fresh pineapple !

SueDonim Mon 02-Sep-19 02:04:27

Oh, I say! There's a lot of skinny-dipping going on! grin

Jane10 Mon 02-Sep-19 16:41:23

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Oooh you can forget Mr D'Arcy emerging from the lake after seeing last night's episode!! No shirt or anything else either. Phoar- not a word I've ever used before! blush

Elrel Fri 20-Sep-19 19:16:13

I’m rereading Sanditon, quite enjoying it.

lemongrove Sat 28-Sep-19 21:46:11

Just off to watch the latest episode that I recorded, am quite enjoying it, not Jane Austen it’s true but still watchable.

MawB Sun 29-Sep-19 21:46:25

Oh goodness this is tedious!
I have never felt this watching any adaptations of Jane Austen, but sadly frocks, bonnets, dastardly villains and dashing gentlemen do not make an Austen classic!

travelsafar Mon 30-Sep-19 09:44:04

I agree, we all know that the grumpy young man and the outspoken young lady will probably end up together, the seaside town will be a success, but I am not sure what will happen to the three who are after the aunt's money, that is what keeps me watching, Will the aunt surprise us all in the end???? smile

MawB Mon 30-Sep-19 09:46:19

Oh I do hope she does Travelsafar !

Jane10 Mon 30-Sep-19 11:17:15

A bit racy last night! I had to loosen my stays slightly and my bonnet nearly fell off at one point. Thank goodness dear MrJane10 was in his study.