Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Confession ITV Mondays 9pm 6 episodes

(21 Posts)
seacliff Tue 03-Sep-19 21:52:29

I've just caught up with the first episode. Very good and tense. Has Martin Freeman as the main detective, and Siobhan Finneran.

Apparently based on a true story of a murder investigation. I'm not going to read any more as I want to just watch the programme.

Doodledog Tue 03-Sep-19 23:16:46

I'm enjoying it too (if 'enjoying' is the right word). It is well-acted and not sensationalised.

I am a bit out of the habit of waiting all week for the next episode of something (The Handmaid's Tale is the only other series I've been following like that); but I don't want to wait six weeks to binge it all.

Lilypops Tue 03-Sep-19 23:21:22

We have just watched the first episode of The Capture tonight , about a soldier accused of kidnapping and murdering his barrister who got him off a previous charge, Looks like a good series, Anyone else watch it?

Doodledog Tue 03-Sep-19 23:30:58

Not yet, but I have it recorded. It looks good, but after all the excitement in parliament, I don't think I could concentrate.

Grandma2213 Wed 04-Sep-19 00:40:06

I quite enjoyed it though wasn't totally engaged. I kept looking at Martin Freeman and seeing Bilbo Baggins. I'm sure that will pass as the series goes on. There is something about 'true stories' that is compelling.

Pantglas1 Thu 05-Sep-19 15:29:15

Just watched first episode and will carry as I don’t remember the actual event on which it’s based.

lemongrove Thu 05-Sep-19 21:41:09

I remember the case well, as only 20 miles from where we are and it was in all the papers and local news at the time, just awful.
I have recorded it to watch anyway, as Martin Freeman is usually good, but yes, there is always the Bilbo thing.?

Harris27 Thu 05-Sep-19 21:46:19

Have it on my planner will have a look.

travelsafar Tue 10-Sep-19 08:12:38

Throughly enjoying this drama.

BlueBelle Tue 10-Sep-19 08:21:32

I do remember the case but only because there was one of those real life programmes looking at past cases
I not spell bound with it but it’s certainly watchable

Auntieflo Tue 10-Sep-19 11:25:04

I am enjoying this, but it is a bit confusing, jumping between the two neighbouring families.
I suppose all the ends will tie up eventually

humptydumpty Tue 10-Sep-19 11:27:10

I never associate MF with Bilbo - instead Tim from The Office and, of course, Watson!

eazybee Tue 10-Sep-19 11:48:22

I watched episodes 1 and 2 back to back last night and thought it was excellent, also The Capture last week, likewise.

travelsafar Wed 18-Sep-19 06:49:39

Cant wait to see the outcome of this series, great acting by all.
Tears in my eyes when they told the mother about her daughter.

vena11 Wed 18-Sep-19 06:54:21

I have been watching it all, I live in Bristol about 40 miles away. My daughter lived just along the road from the high street in Swindon and had been out that night that girl went missing . So sad ,

seacliff Wed 18-Sep-19 13:41:58

I just caught up with the latest episode. I know it is based on the truth, but somehow as they were driving around, I was still hoping they'd find the girl alive, mad I know.

I haven't read up about it on purpose, but it was such an awful thing to happen. Especially when the 2nd mother just knew it was her daughter, after all those years. Heartbreaking.

travelsafar Tue 24-Sep-19 09:36:30

Watching the pre trial in last night's episode really showed how 'the law can be an ass' at times.

The actress who plays the mother of Becky the girl who was a drug addict is brilliant, her reaction to the photos shown was heartbreaking as was her reaction last week when told the awful news. Can't wait to see next weeks episode.

Jane43 Tue 24-Sep-19 14:50:58

Martin Freeman speaks his lines interspersed with unnatural pauses which I find really distracting. Nicola Walker does the same thing which I also find distracting.

Travelsafar I agree, Imelda Staunton’s performance as Becky’s mother is outstanding.

Eloethan Tue 24-Sep-19 16:00:41

I haven't seen last night's episode yet. I enjoyed the first episode but thought last week's was rather slow and not particularly engaging.

NanKate Tue 08-Oct-19 08:16:45

What a fascinating and thought provoking series. Well worth watching.

JanaNana Tue 08-Oct-19 09:07:01

Excellent series. Watched the final part last night then at 10.45 watched an hour's interview and reconstruction of it with him and Trevor McDonald. We were living in Swindon at that time and it felt very unsettling and scary.