Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Dublin Murders

(78 Posts)
Jane43 Tue 22-Oct-19 10:26:49

Is anybody else watching this? I am three episodes in and finding it very difficult to understand the several story lines and identify the characters and their relevance to past events.

ninathenana Wed 30-Oct-19 09:20:52

I too thought he was having a heart attack Calendargirl but as you say he was in the trailer for next episode, so I'm now thinking panic attack.
Last nights episode was a little easier to watch though it didn't resolve any of the mysteries.

morethan2 Wed 30-Oct-19 12:47:16

I’m more confused than ever. I just want it to be over in the hope that all will be come clear confused

grannyticktock Wed 30-Oct-19 15:37:14

I followed some advice in this thread (can't find the post now, has it vanished? But thanks anyway) and downloaded free sample chapters of each of the two books on Kindle. What I seem to have figured out about Cassie/Lexie so far is:
1. Lexie was the name Cassie gave to her imaginary childhood friend (who appeared at the end of the last episode- but is she still imaginary, like the wolf?)
2. Later, when in the police, she was working for Frank and needed an undercover identity. She used the name of her imaginary friend Lexie and padded this out to create a backstory for this person. Frank knows all about this. ( It appears that Rob knows too, but how?)
3. When the project was over she forgot about Lexie and resumed life as Cassie.
4. There is another girl who is almost Cassie's double. She happens to want to change her ID (not sure why).
5. This is the dodgy bit: Cassie surmised that someone has come up to this girl and addressed her as Lexie Mangan, which has prompted her to take Lexie's name, seek out her birth cert, create a fake photo ID etc etc. (What is not explained is how this girl knew that the "real" Lexie was not alive and using her own ID herself.)
So the Lexie who was killed was living under a false identity that she'd only had for a few years. It is now looking as though Daniel has killed her, or at least ascertained that she was actually dead, which is why he knows that Cassie is a fake. (Wasn't this an obvious flaw in the plan, if any of the housemates are suspects in the murder case?)

So those are my musings on the Lexie stuff - please feel free to amend or contradict!

Jane43 Wed 30-Oct-19 18:29:04

Thanks for that Grannyticktock. It seems that Rob is suffering from a recurring disclocated shoulder. This suggests that when he was in the woods the day his friends disappeared somebody may have grabbed him by the arm, presumably an adult. I can’t take credit for this explanation I read it on another forum.

I do wish they hadn’t incorporated the Cassie/Lexie story, as find it distracting and unbelievable. I believe it was the subject of a separate book.

maddyone Wed 30-Oct-19 18:32:06

I’m enjoying it and not finding it too complicated although the jumping between past and present confused me in the beginning, but not now. My elderly mother, 92 years old is having trouble following it though.

BlueBelle Wed 30-Oct-19 18:42:30

I must be 92, gave up

maddyone Wed 30-Oct-19 19:01:19

Bluebell ?

Curlywhirly Wed 30-Oct-19 19:19:24

It's so far fetched! As if a person (Maddox) who just happens to look exactly like the murder victim (Lexie), could just pretend to be them and Lexie's friends be taken in!!! And, as if the police would pretend that a murder victim was still alive - crazy!

Curlywhirly Wed 30-Oct-19 19:22:05

Sorry should have said Cassie (think Maddox is her surname).

Farmor15 Wed 30-Oct-19 20:37:02

I’ve only got as far as episode 4 so far and like others, finding it a bit confusing. However, as an Irish person, I find some aspects don’t ring true for me. The wake and funeral in particular seemed wrong. In Ireland people are commonly “waked” at home, with open coffin and lots of neighbours calling, paying their respects and then being plied with tea and sandwiches. Even when someone dies under tragic circumstances, the coffin is usually open, with undertaker doing their best to make body presentable.
The family sitting around closed coffin on their own, discussing lining of coffin may have served the purpose of story in highlighting that Katy’s colour was blue, but was an unlikely scenario in Ireland.

Gfplux Fri 01-Nov-19 16:09:52

Still loving it. Very gripping.

Calendargirl Fri 01-Nov-19 16:22:20

gfplux

You are obviously looking at the tv forum!

??

Gfplux Fri 01-Nov-19 16:40:43

Calendargirl

Yes just catching up.

katie1 Sat 02-Nov-19 11:10:31

I wonder if Cassie and Lexie are twins ?

Hetty58 Sat 02-Nov-19 11:14:30

I wonder too, katie! I'm finding it fascinating as the memories come back and puzzles are solved. This week I had to catch up on iPlayer due to half term little house guests who are still awake at 9pm!

grannyticktock Sat 02-Nov-19 13:42:32

If Cassie and Lexie are twins, then this information was deliberately withheld in the opening chapters of the book (which I read on Kindle as a free sample). This definitely said Cassie had invented both the "imaginary friend" child Lexie and the alter-ego adult Lexie.

I suppose it is still possible that Cassie had a twin she didn't know about (given away at birth?), and that this person seized on the chance of taking the identity of someone who seemed to be her double, but that seems highly unlikely. Mind you, I think we're going to be asked to swallow some highly unlikely explanation anyway, whatever happens. It's still quite fascinating stuff.

Flossieturner Sun 03-Nov-19 10:18:31

I am enjoying this but agree the story lines are confusing. I think Lexie was an imaginary friend. She first came into Cassie’s life to help the trauma of losing her parents. In the scene where all the wallpaper is ripped off, she tells her Aunt that ‘Lexie did it’.

I expect she invented such a detailed life for Lexie that, when she went undercover, it was easy to use her. Later I think that the girl who was murdered in the forest was an identity their.

My guess is that she was working with the Motorway builders to try and persuade the housemates to sell the house.

Calendargirl Tue 05-Nov-19 12:53:56

I watched last night’s episode, and trust the finale tonight will solve everything!
So we now know who murdered Katy, but that seems to have lost importance compared to the strange flat mates, and Adam’s/Rob’s search for answers about the missing children.
As for Cassie/Lexie meeting that chap on the bus when undercover, got a bit lost TBH.

Flossieturner Tue 05-Nov-19 17:48:21

Cassie met him at university while she was under cover. Using the name Lexie. When he met the other girl he thought she was Lexie and then she went to University in Lexie’/Cassies’s place. I dont think we will ever know.her back story.

grannyticktock Tue 05-Nov-19 20:23:19

Yes, the girl that the guy on the bus had met previously was actually Cassie undercover as "Lexie". Then when he saw the other person on the bus who looked just like her (real name not yet revealed) and started addressing her as Lexie, she seized the opportunity to pass herself off as Lexie and enrol at Trinity. (Why? No idea).

ninathenana Tue 05-Nov-19 22:02:14

Can anyone explain why when they found out Riley was Adam he was suspended and told his previous convictions were under threat.

Calendargirl Tue 05-Nov-19 22:11:03

I suppose he certainly shouldn’t have been involved with the investigation into Katy’s murder as there seemed connections with the disappearances years ago.
Also he probably should have revealed when he joined the police force about his past which involved a major unsolved case, change of name, new identity?

Although we still don’t know what happened to the missing children? At least a few ends were tied up.

gulligranny Tue 05-Nov-19 22:23:19

I've enjoyed this, great acting and very atmospheric. But they have combined two of Tana French's brilliant books into the one drama, so it hasn't really worked because so much of the stories has been left out.

grannyticktock Tue 05-Nov-19 22:29:21

Yes, they seem to have run the two stories in parallel and linked them only by the relationship between Rob and Cassie, and the fact that they had both broken the rules in a way that entailed changing their identity. I was annoyed by the failure to explain what happened to the missing children, and the vague suggestion that there were supernatural forces at work, which I always think is a bit of a cop-out.

Auntieflo Wed 06-Nov-19 19:03:26

Well we watched it and are none the wiser confused?
but, did anyone think that the actress who played Cassie/Lexi, looked like the actress who used to play Stacy in Eastenders?