Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Accident Ch4

(61 Posts)
travelsafar Fri 25-Oct-19 07:36:00

Watched this last night but not sure if i will continue. I felt it was overly dramatic, especially when the whole town , or it appeared to be, walked up to the site of the accident in the dark. Didn't enjoy the part with the husband and wife were discussing the daughter in hospital, what is that all about??? NOt one i will rush to watch again.

Calendargirl Fri 01-Nov-19 15:16:31

grapefruitpip

Is there something wrong with being a ‘Northern’ actress, as opposed to a ‘Southern’ actress?

Gfplux Fri 01-Nov-19 16:05:46

In the end on reflection did not bother with episode two.

Alima Fri 01-Nov-19 16:17:45

I am glad someone else couldn’t hear it properly. I thought my ears were broken. That did mean I missed much of the dialogue in the “revolting scene” between SL and the husband. I find I am watching it transfixed wondering why I am watching it and will it get any better. I read a review after the first episode and the critic was raving about it, 5 stars no less. For those of you willing to give Sarah Lancashire the benefit of the doubt they are at this moment filming a new series of Last Tango in Halifax. I am beyond ecstatic, just hope all the older actors manage to get through till the end of filming.

glammanana Fri 01-Nov-19 16:34:53

Where has the "girl code" gone with regard to SLs weight it would be a sad world if we where all the same size,lets have no more fat shaming on GN.

grapefruitpip Fri 01-Nov-19 17:04:39

OK here we go, let's pick a fight about a throw away comment.

SL in my mind excels as a northern actress. I love the breed, Siobhon Finneran, Sally Lindsay, Katherine Kelly and many more.
Of course they can play other parts and other accents.

Calendargirl Fri 01-Nov-19 18:13:13

Not picking a fight! Yes, she often plays Northern parts, but sounded very different in Last Tango.

Katyj Fri 01-Nov-19 18:50:08

Turned off after 10 minutes, couldn't hear a word Sarah Lancashire was saying.

lemongrove Fri 01-Nov-19 18:51:42

Thought it was total rubbish!

Eloethan Fri 01-Nov-19 23:14:17

Sarah Lancashire doesn't always do "Northern" parts and anyway we don't make such comments about southern actors.

In think she's done some great parts but The Accident is, in my view, badly written and unbelievable.

grapefruitpip Sat 02-Nov-19 08:55:57

So my idea is Regionalist?

Thora Hird anyone?

Eloethan Sat 02-Nov-19 20:22:37

I've just been reading the many comments on Mumsnet about The Accident. The overwhelming feeling is that it's "shite".

It's been pointed out that the majority of newspapers have given it glowing reviews. Very strange. It makes you wonder whether they actually properly watch all the programmes they review or just look at the actors and screen play writer involved and only give it a cursory glance, assuming it will be good.

Apparently, Jack Thorne, wrote the screen play National Treasure, which I thought was really excellent.

Calendargirl Sat 02-Nov-19 21:09:14

Girl/Haji received a rubbish review from one paper, could have been the Telegraph, after one episode, but I think it’s good, and so do other GN’ers judging by your comments.

sodapop Sat 02-Nov-19 21:58:13

Why is it that people find it necessary to patronise Northerners, comments are never made about 'southerners' . Really bugs me.

grapefruitpip Sat 02-Nov-19 22:10:15

I am from the North, I like Northern actresses, I like SL playing a Northerner. How is that patronising?

It is a simple preference.

Callistemon Sat 02-Nov-19 22:53:10

Sarah Lancashire has no accent in RL, so any 'Northern' accents are due to her acting skills.

I didn't see this - was she portraying a Welsh woman?

Jane10 Sun 03-Nov-19 06:26:31

I felt very comforted by SL's body shape. I've liked her since she was Raquel in Corrie and was happy to find that she's eased into a larger body shape over time. I'm obviously in good company. I didn't think that comment was 'body shaming' just an observation btw.

Chestnut Wed 06-Nov-19 16:01:05

I have given up on this. My benchmark is whether I empathise with any of the characters. Do I like them? The answer is no. The sickening scene with SL and her husband was a turn-off, then I switched off for good when I saw the other woman lying on the floor with her wrists slashed. Why do they think we want endless gloom and doom. This dark depressing stuff is not for me. I will end up watching old movies on Talking Pictures if they can't come up with something more entertaining.

AllotmentLil Wed 06-Nov-19 22:52:17

I have persevered through both episodes and it really hasn’t improved at all. Sarah Lancashire is a great actor so this is disappointing. I think grapefruitpip was just commenting that she preferred her in Northern parts not that there was anything wrong with being a Northern actor.

BlueBelle Fri 08-Nov-19 08:13:03

Well I didn’t enjoy episode 3 any more than 1 and 2
Very very underwhelmed with the story The ‘darkness’ didn’t really bother me I ve seen a lot worse but the story seems banal
I think there’s only 4 episodes isn’t there? So will watch the last one just because .....

sodapop Fri 08-Nov-19 08:33:46

Much the same for me BlueBelle I continue to have problems hearing the dialogue even with the sound turned up.

BlueBelle Sat 09-Nov-19 06:44:52

sodapop I use the subtitles for all dramas I used to think I was going deaf until I saw so many complaints from others The sound up doesn’t help it’s the clarity of speech somehow gets lost i don’t find it in other programmes, quizzes, news etc just dramas

Grannyknot Sat 09-Nov-19 07:10:08

The bus stop poster adverts for this series with three gloomy looking women staring at me, has "depressing" stamped all over it, and I decided to give it a complete miss. The bus couldn't come fast enough! smile
Now reading this thread, that was the right decision. Life's too short to wallow in depressing stuff.

Oopsminty Sat 09-Nov-19 07:16:31

It's dreadful

shysal Sat 09-Nov-19 09:50:35

I am another who can't work out what is being said, in fact the deaf woman in it couldn't possibly lipread Sarah's character, as she barely moves her lips!
I am pleased to read the there are only 4 episodes, so I shall probably see it through to its conclusion.

Jane43 Sat 09-Nov-19 10:42:29

I agree about the unrealistic portrayal of the deaf woman, she seems able to understand everything everybody says even if they are not facing her. She is the only character I really care about. I will watch the last one to see the outcome but it has been a wasted opportunity to tell an important story. The scene between the businesswoman and her toyboy lover seemed to serve no purpose other than to include a sex scene. It is a big drop in standards from the writer of National Treasure which was gritty but excellent.