Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Spiral

(25 Posts)
Eloethan Sun 01-Dec-19 23:43:07

I do miss Spiral - I'm not sure how it will work with two main characters seemingly no longer in the picture.

Given how many series of this there has been, it has remained believable and realistic. Everything about it - the plot, the dialogue, the acting, the locations - is so natural and the characters feel like real people.

That is compared to Line of Duty, which I love but which has become increasingly unrealistic. I hope the next series returns to form (I think I read it might be the last).

jo1book Sun 17-Nov-19 21:38:23

They are filming a series 8. The actress who plays Laure wants to leave but has been persuaded to do another series.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 17-Nov-19 21:33:36

I agree that despite being lost with the plot sometimes I really enjoyed Spiral. Much better than the American style cop stuff with actors with perfect teeth!

GagaJo Sun 17-Nov-19 20:42:17

I found Spiral on iplayer for the last series and loved it. I LOVE French tv, it's much more realistic that US and British stuff. No one is 'groomed' and they look like real people.

TerriBull Sun 17-Nov-19 20:39:50

We watched it from series 4 I think, and enjoyed that so much got hold of all of the earlier ones commencing right back in 2005, it was interesting to see the actors age over the entire period. I'm really going to miss Spiral I think it's one of the very best, the writing, acting and characterisations are excellent. I do hope there will be a series 8.

blossom14 Sun 17-Nov-19 20:03:18

Another vote here for Spiral, we have been watching since the beginning. Will also catch up with the final tomorrow.

Witzend Sun 17-Nov-19 19:39:14

We love Spiral.
I watched episode 11 last night, while dh watched the Prince Andrew interview which I couldn't be bothered with.

He's out tonight, so I shall watch the finale on my tod - he can catch up tomorrow.

grapefruitpip Sun 17-Nov-19 18:35:58

No drop in standards this series.

Gfplux Mon 04-Nov-19 21:01:49

We absolutely love Spirel and have followed every season.
Subtitles are not a problem as we have them on permanently for everything on TV, Netflix and Amazon Prime.
We don’t use catch up so no spoilers please.

Curlywhirly Mon 04-Nov-19 07:47:22

Absolutely love Spiral, have watched it from the first series. The stories are believable and love that it gives an insight into everyday French life.

anniezzz09 Mon 04-Nov-19 03:40:08

I absolutely love Spiral. We've watched it since day one. The Guardian runs a weekly blog which helps round up each episode. The comments to the blog are excellent with many knowledgeable people with good French who often comment on the translation and subtitles. Quite a good place for Francophones and mystery/crime lovers to conspire.

Eloethan Sun 03-Nov-19 23:23:18

I think I'll give it a go then. Thanks.

Flossieturner Sun 03-Nov-19 21:10:51

No only episode 1 is aired and you can watch it on Catch up.

Eloethan Sun 03-Nov-19 19:48:57

Flosseturner I haven't heard of this. Is it a long way into the series?

Flossieturner Sun 03-Nov-19 19:00:32

I like this too. Anyone who likes this should check out The Team on More 4.

Marilla Sun 03-Nov-19 08:53:51

I just love Spiral. I have watched it since Series 1.
It can be so unpredictable with well loved characters being moved on or even killed off.
I too like Judge Robin, but he is becoming more vulnerable in this series. Josephine is fascinating and you never know whose side she will be on.
It is a classy series and I will be sad when it finishes.

TerriBull Sun 03-Nov-19 08:41:32

soad soap

TerriBull Sun 03-Nov-19 08:40:32

I adore Spiral, imo it's the best of the foreign language BBC4 series by far. I love all the characters, especially Laure and Gilou, who inspite of looking quite crumpled and in need of a good wash, nevertheless excudes the gallic charm. Ali is a welcome addition not only handsome but at least appears to be acquainted with soad and water and less dishevelled in a clean white t shirt smile I do fall asleep in the 2nd episode sometimes but catch up on IPlayer

LullyDully Sun 03-Nov-19 07:30:32

Yes we enjoy Spiral but I can only manage one episode at a time as I get sleepy around 10. I do find the French hard as it's very quick and many words are unfamiliar.

DoraMarr Sun 03-Nov-19 06:39:45

Btw I think the difficulty in understanding the characters’ French is partly because they use a lot of slang and criminal argot. My French cousins say they sometimes struggle. Ali is the one I can understand best.

DoraMarr Sun 03-Nov-19 06:37:23

It’s gripping, isn’t it? I think it strikes a good balance between a police procedural and character-led drama. I miss Tintin, but the new cop, Ali, is promising. And Judge Roban is great! I wonder if Josephine will reciprocate Edelman’s love? I’m saving the latest two episodes to watch later in the week, so no spoilers please!

Gemini1789 Sun 03-Nov-19 00:00:49

Count me in. And I’m getting to like subtitles. Saves us asking each other , “ What did he say ? “ and I think it’s the fault of the mumblers because I can understand French . I’m the same when it’s in English. Can’t understand mumblers. It must be an age thing. But I am really enjoying the series.

grannydarkhair Sat 02-Nov-19 23:53:45

I love Spiral, have watched it from series one. I've often recommended it over the years and nearly everyone has liked it. Dissenter said "don't do sub-titles". Absolutely their loss.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Nov-19 20:33:33

Yes have watched them all. They were much more graphic and gory in the earlier series and I miss some of the characters, but it is good.

Eloethan Sat 02-Nov-19 20:31:23

Is anyone watching this. I've only seen the last two series but think this is a brilliant police drama with believable, flawed but likeable characters.