Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

His dark materials

(167 Posts)
travelsafar Sun 03-Nov-19 20:41:51

Ayone else watching this new drama on BBC1??

I can't make head nor tail of it at the moment!!!

Reminds me of Harry Potter, Beautiful Beasts the film, and the introduction music and scenes reminded me of Game of Thrones.

Resurgam123 Mon 04-Nov-19 07:35:23

Somthing has gone wrong here.

ninathenana Mon 04-Nov-19 07:51:37

Haven't read the books but love this type of fantasy fiction.
I couldn't agree more about the long trailer GrandmaKT I said to DH no need to watch next weeks now but then wondered if the trailer was for the whole series not just the next episode.

Lins1066 Mon 04-Nov-19 08:31:18

I enjoy Philip Pullman's books and so enjoyed last night's programme very much.
I couldn't agree more ninathenana and GrandmaKT, it seems it is becoming common practice. We said exactly the the same thing when we saw the trailer for next week's Dublin Murders and the recently ended Sandition. Most channels are doing it, another bugbear is the BBC advertising their television programmes on the radio.

BlueSapphire Mon 04-Nov-19 08:40:23

Have recorded it to see what all the fuss is about as DS and DD loved the books. Will watch it on a quiet TV night.

I watched 'Britain's Greatest Warship' instead, which was excellent.

Loislovesstewie Mon 04-Nov-19 08:51:04

I love these books; I have read them, re-read them and destroyed 3 copies of each in the process. If the dramatisation is as good as the books be prepared to cry!

Pittcity Mon 04-Nov-19 08:55:57

Better adaptation than the film already.

Daisymae Mon 04-Nov-19 09:07:08

I watched last night, new to Philip Pullman. I thought it was very dark. I also watched Stranger Things for the first time, which is also very hyped. Ok, it's me but I do have a concern that children are targeted with these dark and disturbing tales which both feature child abduction. I have only watched the first episode of ST. I wonder about the impact on impressionable minds. But it's probably just me.

Americanpie Mon 04-Nov-19 09:18:53

I was bored watching it. The references to a special child and it being left during flood waters did remind me a certain other stories that appear in the bible. Helicopters, airships and then ancient kitchens and the old fashioned laundry made me want to laugh and yawn at the same time. Still my husband loved it and so I shall keep quiet and continue watching. I just wish the BBC hasn't spent so much on it.

Iam64 Mon 04-Nov-19 09:42:04

The books were recommended years ago by a friend's son who was then about 15, so I wasn't sure but read and loved them.

I watched last night's and thought it excellent. As for the cost to the BBC, it's a relief to see them spending proper money on a proper series. No doubt they can sell it abroad and on dvd's/on line and repeat it several times, so it will pay for itself.

Bring on more good tv.

Joelsnan Mon 04-Nov-19 10:01:22

Americanpie
The story does have strong but veiled references to religion

Davida1968 Mon 04-Nov-19 10:33:58

Loved it! (But I do watch with the subtitles on - find this much easier, for following the plot!)

Alexa Mon 04-Nov-19 11:06:16

His Dark Materials is about a frail but rebellious and courageous girl pitted against the forces of evil. In this first episode we begin to understand evil is when children are separated from their freedom as human beings.

Freedom to be oneself is portrayed by daemons. We are told these vanish when the person dies.

Pullman's ethic is people's need to be free of ideologies that enslave and corrupt. The child |Lyra is becoming an adult whose business in life is appearing to be defying such established forces of destruction and enslavement of the free human.

glammanana Mon 04-Nov-19 11:19:19

I just like simple easy viewing on a Sunday evening this kind of programme gives me a headache so many similar programmes at the minute.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 04-Nov-19 11:31:07

This isn't really my type of thing, not being into fantasy but I gave it a go. I was reading the paper at the same time so not giving it the attention it really deserved, I guess.
I'll put the next episode on next week and see if I can get into it better but I feel it'll wash over me.
Fantasy/science fiction is either your thing or it isn't and it's not really my cup of tea.

Brunette10 Mon 04-Nov-19 11:31:43

Not for me, switched off half way through. Not an ideal Sunday evening programme.

Blinko Mon 04-Nov-19 11:42:50

I'm not a fan of fantasy fiction, but did enjoy The Golden Compass. I thought I'd give this a go, but it did remind me of Harry Potter....

Probably won't watch future episodes.

MawB Mon 04-Nov-19 11:44:12

Is that straight out of Wikipedia Alexa ?

Alexa Mon 04-Nov-19 11:55:55

MawB I am sorry so many grans don't appreciate good stories, but there is little I can do about it.
When I quote from a publication I name the author or source unless the quotation is common knowledge. That post was my own work based on much thinking about HDM and related texts such as William Blake, and theology of human freedoms.

Gonegirl Mon 04-Nov-19 12:08:19

I couldn't get on with the books. Same with Harry Potter. They were, after all, written for children.

The tv serial might be watchable. Will have to wait and see.

Gonegirl Mon 04-Nov-19 12:09:32

Suppose I should have said teenagers there.

Callistemon Mon 04-Nov-19 12:23:23

Message deleted at user's request

mcem Mon 04-Nov-19 12:46:20

With allusions to Blake and to Paradise Lost, HDM is not simply a fantasy tale for children!
Stay with it, think about the references and liberate your inner theologist!
This production is far better than the Golden Compass film.
Several years ago, when voting in what I think was a R4 poll for the nation's favourite book, it took some time to decide between HDM and Wuthering Heights. I surprised myself by voting for Pullman.

Callistemon Mon 04-Nov-19 12:54:14

Quite often I think that it is better not to have read a book or series before watching it translated on to the screen, but in this case it would seem that reading the series first would have been an advantage.

Callistemon Mon 04-Nov-19 12:57:07

I'll reserve judgement!

I am not a Harry Potter fan; I remember a young relative devouring them at the age of six and thought 'perhaps not'!

Although perhaps these books can be interpreted on different levels like the Narnia series?

mcem Mon 04-Nov-19 12:59:32

Callistemon I do prefer to read first and see later!
I'd have hated to miss the opportunity to exercise my own imagination before sitting back to watch the bbc's excellent production!
Cgi proving invaluable with the daemons.
Bring on the bears!