Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

His dark materials

(167 Posts)
travelsafar Sun 03-Nov-19 20:41:51

Ayone else watching this new drama on BBC1??

I can't make head nor tail of it at the moment!!!

Reminds me of Harry Potter, Beautiful Beasts the film, and the introduction music and scenes reminded me of Game of Thrones.

Alexa Tue 05-Nov-19 10:23:22

BlueSapphire, I have meditated seriously on what my own daemon would be. I thought possibly a dung beetle as I like cleanliness and order. grin

Saggi Tue 05-Nov-19 10:47:54

Not into it myself... all fantasy stuff leaves me cold. But I have a permanent reminder that my son-in-law definitely is! Hence my granddaughter Lyra. And she has a ‘ silvertongue’

Iam64 Sun 24-Nov-19 21:37:38

Great episode this evening. Enter the Armoured Bear and Lee the flier - brilliant characters. Also, the witches daemon. Great books and such a good series. I'm relieved the BBC is making good drama because its news coverage this week has been shameful . (ie removing the booing when Mr Johnson spoke and I read, the clapping when Mr Corbyn spoke. I expect they did this to make it balanced don't you)

Gonegirl Sun 24-Nov-19 21:38:47

So boring.

And now the War of the Worlds.

Who dreams these schedules up?

Callistemon Sun 24-Nov-19 21:41:09

Media types straight from university who think that H G Wells' book wasn't exciting enough so they change things.

BlueSapphire Sun 24-Nov-19 22:22:07

Didn't have clue what tonight's episode was about, but I loved it, especially the bear. I want Lyra and the bear to win and for the horrid woman to be given her just desserts.

BBbevan Mon 25-Nov-19 07:42:15

DH wants to know
1) Who's dark materials ?
2) and what sort of material are we talking about?
Can't answer any of those, so we will just have to wait and see !

LullyDully Mon 25-Nov-19 08:04:24

I am enjoying it so much, especially now the gang are more or less together. It reminds me of the books. Very exciting. They however can't possibly do all 3 Dark Materials books, maybe just The Northern Lights.

I like than Lyra's daemon has turned to an arctic fox, very wise.

However maybe 8.00 on Sunday BBC is an odd choice of timing.

Iam64 Mon 25-Nov-19 08:37:57

LullyDully, I think 8 pm on Sunday is a good choice of timing. It's one of those series that families can watch together, after the smaller children have gone to bed.

It's faithful to the books and maybe will encourage some new readers.

Franbern Mon 25-Nov-19 09:18:37

I am so enjoying this. Keeping pretty close to the actual book, lovely to see an 'armoured bear'. Always think of Lee as Dark Materials version of Hans Solo.
LulyDully, I understand that this is just Northern Lights, but filming ha already commence on Book 2.
So good to see a wonderful story spring to life on the little screen, shame the same cannot be said for War of the Worlds!!!

annodomini Mon 25-Nov-19 10:42:42

It's a great dramatisation of a gripping read. The casting is brilliant. Ruth Wilson as Mrs Coulter does make my blood run cold! I love James Cosmo as Farder Coram.

travelsafar Mon 25-Nov-19 19:53:25

Several of my friends and family are raving about this series so i thought, i will have to try it again. So i have binge watched the episodes on Iplayer and am throughly enjoying it. Sometimes waiting until you can watch several episodes makes it easier to understand the plot. When i watched the first episode initially i couldn't work it out at all now i get it and can't wait for the next episode on Sunday. smile

LullyDully Tue 26-Nov-19 09:30:26

Yes, well done the BBC . Wonderful casting. Lyra is so feisty. Glad to hear they are going to do the next two DM books. (I hope to get the second new Dust book for Christmas.)

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 26-Nov-19 09:39:17

BBbevan

This won't give you the answers you ask but :

The title of the series, His Dark Materials, comes from seventeenth century poet John Milton's Paradise Lost, Book 2:

Into this wilde Abyss,
The Womb of nature and perhaps her Grave,
Of neither Sea, nor Shore, nor Air, nor Fire,
But all these in their pregnant causes mixt
Confus'dly, and which thus must ever fight,
Unless th' Almighty Maker them ordain
His dark materials to create more Worlds,
Into this wilde Abyss the warie fiend
Stood on the brink of Hell and look'd a while,
Pondering his Voyage; for no narrow frith
He had to cross.
— Book 2, lines 910–920

Grandma2213 Sat 30-Nov-19 05:28:07

Thank you mcem if you were one that voted for 'His Dark Materials'. I think that was the programme I saw that introduced the books to me. I immediately went out and bought them and have been hooked ever since, as has the rest of my family. After I had read them I reread the whole series as I think many who are watching now might need to do. I have now started reading yet again.
The film I saw a while ago was rubbish but I am enjoying this series. Well done BBC. I love the Gyptians but think Mrs Coulter is extremely well cast. Sometimes we need to open our minds to other possibilities,

BBbevan Sat 30-Nov-19 07:13:01

Thank you so much WOODMOUSe . I should have known that quotation as I did Paradise Lost in my degree studies. A long time ago though.
We are really enjoying this dramatization, and are glad to see there will be another. Just downloaded War of the Worlds to my kindle. I read that as a young adult. The tv program is not at all like the book.

Iam64 Sun 01-Dec-19 21:11:32

What a brilliant episode this evening. The cast, the settings, the story all top notch

LullyDully Sun 01-Dec-19 21:15:45

Great and now we have Will too. It is very strong and unsettling.

annodomini Sun 01-Dec-19 22:53:21

Even having read the book and knowing what is going to happen, the suspense is skilfully maintained by excellent acting and direction. This series should be destined for a BAFTA award.

Franbern Mon 02-Dec-19 15:51:04

So agree annodomini, I have read these books several times in the past and, currently, am reading the prequel series. So enjoying this - highpoint of my weekends. Brilliantly done and acted - cannot praise it highly enough.

Labaik Tue 03-Dec-19 00:12:32

Love the music; very Game of Thrones'ish; always think a good theme tune sets the tone...

travelsafar Mon 16-Dec-19 07:58:04

Starting to get bored with this now, just want to get to the end.

Labaik Mon 23-Dec-19 02:06:17

Well it's finished. I did read the book a long time ago and must have understood it then. But it didn't inspire me to read the next book. I found it very sad and depressing for young people to watch and quite honestly didn't understand any of it. Maybe it made more sense in the book.

tanith Mon 23-Dec-19 07:41:01

Totally confused but my concentration was wavering throughout the last episode maybe I should watch it again. Or maybe not ?

boheminan Mon 23-Dec-19 07:50:25

I read the books and have a vision in my head of the characters, so watching the series wasn't a good idea. The special effects are brilliant, but to me the casting was appalling. I couldn't believe in any of the characters - particularly Ma Costa - I somehow never visualised her as resembling a dishevelled Twiggyhmm