Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Which are your favourite records from your younger years?

(115 Posts)
Dinahmo Sun 10-Nov-19 15:01:34

Last night we watched a documentary about Carol King. Quite a lot of time was spent talking about "Tapestry" and I remembered that every flat we visited had a copy of that, also "Sweet Baby James", "Music from Big Pink", "The Velvet Underground and Nico" and of course "Sergeant Pepper"

I love all the above and many many more and find it impossible to chose my top 5.

A bit of light relief from the politics forum.

timetogo2016 Mon 11-Nov-19 15:25:20

Puppy love Donny Osmond.
Let me in The Osmonds.
Bohemium Rhapsody Queen.
Merry Christmas everybody Slade.
Mother of mine Neil Reid.

gt66 Mon 11-Nov-19 16:06:16

We always had the radio on when I was younger and I grew up listening to the Beatles et al; was a fan of Marc Bolan/ T. Rex as a teenager, but my first music purchase was 'Come up and see me (make me smile) by Steve Harley. Still gives me goosebumps when I hear it!

Fennel Mon 11-Nov-19 22:05:39

I'm a lot older than most of you so grew up on radio - mostly American big bands. a subject in itself.
And the Inkspots.
I got caught up on youtube in the last few years and agree with many about the Beachboys. The Beatles were good, and they were ours, but I bet they learned a lot from the Beachboys.

Fennel Mon 11-Nov-19 22:13:35

ps and talking about Carol King, this one always brings tears to my eyes:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdPAjKkU8u0

annep1 Mon 11-Nov-19 22:16:34

I couldn't possibly choose a favourite or even a few favourites. 1964-1970 were fantastic years. I am so glad I was a teenager in the 60s.(born 1951)
Still love listening and watching on YouTube. Unfortunately can't find a video of Grocer Jack on it with the little girl singing "Is it true what mummy says you won't come back"

dreamqueen Mon 11-Nov-19 22:26:03

Everlasting Love. Love Affair
Rainbow Valley. Love Affair
Young Girl. Gary Puckett
Lady Willpower. Gary Puckett
Walk Away Renee. Four Tops.
Pictures of Matchstick Men. Status Quo
Daydream Believer. The Monkees
All or Nothing. Small Faces.
Yesterday has Gone. Cupid’s Inspiration.
Can’t Help Myself. Four Tops
This Old Heart of Mine. Isley Brothers........Just to name a few.

SpringyChicken Mon 11-Nov-19 22:46:19

Have I the Right / The Honeycombs
Runaround Sue / Dion DiMucci
American Pie / Don McLean
Oh Carol / Neil Sedaka

Jane43 Tue 12-Nov-19 10:48:14

Thank you for this thread Dynamo, it’s lovely to escape from the present for a while and indulge memories of my youth. Since your viewing of a Carol King programme started the thread you may be interested to know that there is a wonderful video on You Tube from a show where Carol King is receiving an award and Aretha Franklin comes on stage and starts singing You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman. Not only is it a wonderful performance, the joy on Carol King’s face is wonderful to watch, she is beside herself with happiness. I watch it a lot, if you can’t find it and want to see it send me a message and I will send you the link.

I should have included Carol and Aretha in my favourites but there are so many. I love Oh Carol by Neil Sedaka too.

Jane43 Tue 12-Nov-19 10:52:21

How could I have forgotten Dion’s ‘Runaround Sue’. There is a video On Y T of him singing it on a Jools Holland show relatively recently and it is a very different performance but great in its own way. Dion married in 1963 and stayed married, quite an achievement.

Oopsminty Tue 12-Nov-19 10:57:05

How could I have forgotten Dion’s ‘Runaround Sue’.

Oh wow. Now that is a memory

I was in New York. It was so humid. Watching some amazing street performers who had massive pink bird puppets on their arms

One of them approached me and dragged me into the circle where I danced away with this bird wrapped round my neck/waist.

I was much younger then

Thanks for the reminder!

Jane43 Tue 12-Nov-19 10:57:37

Annepl. Is this the video you were thinking of?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ENblHOxi1c4

Dinahmo Tue 12-Nov-19 11:26:17

Fennel Thank you for posting that link. Brought tears to my eyes too.

Darling Be Home Soon / Lovin Spoonful
Nutbush City Limits / Ike & Tina Turner
God Only Knows/Beach Boys
Lola/Kinks
Dance Me to the End of Love/Leonard Cohen

annep1 Tue 12-Nov-19 15:44:14

Jane43 thanks. That video is lovely, however the one I can't find is the choir singing with him. But thank you for posting. Very thoughtful.

BlueSapphire Tue 12-Nov-19 18:01:23

Any mid-late 60s music, particularly the Beatles, brings it all back to me.

Chestnut Tue 12-Nov-19 23:23:44

annepl I'm sure I've seen that video with the choir on TOTP2 on BBC4 at some time. It must be in their archive, though they don't have much left from the 60s as they re-used all the tapes! You'll need to keep a careful eye on their programmes for that to come on again, although they're mostly running the TOTP from the 1980s at the moment.

annep1 Wed 13-Nov-19 02:37:37

Thanks Chestnut I'll keep a lookout.

Franbern Wed 13-Nov-19 08:55:43

I have never really been into the music scene. As a teenager my crushes were all on film stars.
However, at the wonderful age of just 16 years old, I fell in love whilst on holiday in 1957 (with my parents in the IoW). There was a juke box there, and it played (incessantly) Last Train to San Fernando - no idea by whom!!
When I got home, I purchased this as 78 rpm record (remember those), and on the flip side there was Sal Mineo (film star) talking (not singing) to a song called 'They tried to tell us we're too young'. Cried each time I played that - my holiday romance only lasted less than a month back in London.
Many years later, one of my children accidently trod on this record whilst I was doing some tidying around, I sobbed at first, but then realised that this was probably symbolic of the end of that wonderful (yet very painful) teenage time.,

Jane43 Wed 13-Nov-19 13:08:38

Franbern I think Last Train To San Fernando was by Lonnie Donegan. I remember Sal Mineo, he was such a handsome young man. Although he was a film star he did have a hit record Start Movin’ which I used to own on a 78. I believe he was murdered at a very young age. I had a few holiday romances too, like yours very short lived. What wonderful memories this thread has brought me and I love to hear other people’s memories too,

sneazzy95 Wed 13-Nov-19 14:42:24

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Calendargirl Wed 13-Nov-19 15:08:46

Anyone remember ‘The End Of The World’ by Skeeter Davies? I could only have been about 6 or 7 when this was in the charts, but even then the sadness and yearning for lost love came through to me.

Anniebach Wed 13-Nov-19 16:37:26

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes / The Platters

Whose Sorry Now. / Connie Francis

God Only Know. / Beach Boys

True Love Ways. / Buddy Holly

Always On My Mind / Willie Nelson .

Yes much later but can’t leave him out

craftyone Wed 13-Nov-19 18:48:45

Many of these songs above are so evocative. I can immediately think of the tune and words and what I was doing. Bob Dylon and Joan Baez, we were hitching to college in newcastle from liverpool, me and my younger sister. The night has a thousand eyes, I was sowing onion seeds in my first ever tiny soil patch. Jim Reeves, Roger Millar. The 60s was an incredible happy time to be a teenager and young adult. I still love 60s music, it brings back very happy memories, all those parties, the friends

Oldandverygrey Wed 13-Nov-19 18:51:49

Frankie Vaughan - The Green Door, my fav.

JenniferEccles Thu 14-Nov-19 13:01:08

We were all young. We were all falling in love and so many songs already mentioned seemed to speak to us didn’t they?

I used to listen secretly in bed to Radio Caroline until the spoilsports shut it down! I was madly in love with Tony Blackburn. I think it was his voice I loved.

JenniferEccles Thu 14-Nov-19 13:10:49

Far too many favourites to list but Ben by Michael Jackson stands out.

He was only a small boy when it was recorded but I remember being stunned by the purity and clarity of his voice.

I had a strong feeling even then that he would go far but I could never have imagined just how huge a star he would become.