Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Which are your favourite records from your younger years?

(115 Posts)
Dinahmo Sun 10-Nov-19 15:01:34

Last night we watched a documentary about Carol King. Quite a lot of time was spent talking about "Tapestry" and I remembered that every flat we visited had a copy of that, also "Sweet Baby James", "Music from Big Pink", "The Velvet Underground and Nico" and of course "Sergeant Pepper"

I love all the above and many many more and find it impossible to chose my top 5.

A bit of light relief from the politics forum.

giulia Sun 17-Nov-19 13:19:51

All of the above but does nobody remember Wimoweh?...

...In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight...

A political talk show over here in Italy is using it as its theme (can't think why). Oh, and another one plays Sixteen Tons as its theme.

Calendargirl Sun 17-Nov-19 11:47:18

‘Young Girl’ seems to be one of the best remembered and most popular songs with many of us.
Makes you realise that 50 odd years ago we just loved the tune and the lyrics had no nasty connotations.
Simpler times.

suzette1613 Sun 17-Nov-19 11:11:38

A few more:-

A Whiter Shade of Pale, Procul Harum,
Wishing Well, Free,
Only One Woman, The Marbles (I think),
Dancing Queen, Abba,
One Brown Mouse, Jethro Tull,
To Love Somebody, Bee Gees,
Gaudete, Steeleye Span,
Little Brown Bull, Tommy Steele, (I always thought it was `Little Brown Foal`, horse mad!)
Won`t Get Fooled Again, the Who,
At Seventeen, (can`t remember, Janis Ian?),
Downtown, Petula Clark,
Anything by the Moody Blues,
Annie`s Song, John Denver,

I could go on and on...

annep1 Sat 16-Nov-19 23:30:49

Sharon103 thank you. I'll give it a try.

sharon103 Sat 16-Nov-19 22:01:52

So many classics already mentioned. Young Girl is an all time favourite.
Everlasting Love by Love Affair
Abraham, Martin & John, Marvin Gaye
Farewell is a Lonely Sound, Jimmy Ruffin
Dock of the Bay, Ottis Reading,
Make it With You, Bread
Here I go Again, Archie Bell and The Drells
The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore. Walker Brothers
Without you, Nilsson
Baker Street. Gerry Rafferty
River Deep - Mountain High, Ike &Tina Turner
God Only Knows, The Beach Boys
Honey Come Back, Glen Campbell
and loads more

Grannmarie Sat 16-Nov-19 21:31:35

Sorry, Dinahmo, I now realize that you started this great thread, thank you.

Oopsminty Sat 16-Nov-19 21:20:15

The End of the World is so sad!

Brilliant but sad

Oopsminty Sat 16-Nov-19 21:19:33

I loved that song, sharon103!

sharon103 Sat 16-Nov-19 21:15:20

Yes Calendargirl ‘The End Of The World’ by Skeeter Davies?
I bought it. smile

sharon103 Sat 16-Nov-19 21:05:56

annep1
Go onto YouTube and type in : Excerpt from a Teenage Opera.
That's the title, not Grocer Jack although that's in the lyrics. I remember it too. Singer: Keith West. (1967 and the children) I've just watched it.
I hope you see this. I tried to PM you.
Enjoy xx

Grannmarie Sat 16-Nov-19 21:04:01

Great thread Jennifer Eccles, thank you ?

Grannmarie Sat 16-Nov-19 21:02:22

My dad was a great fan of the wireless, we didn't have TV till mid sixties. I remember as a very young child listening to Little White Bull by Tommy Steele, What did Della Wear by Perry Como, 76 Trombones led the big Parade, Lay down your head Tom Dooley, Pretty Little Black Eyed Susie, She wears Red Feathers, Guy Mitchell, I think.. I loved The Runaway Train and Starry Eyed by Michael Holliday. I remember being upset when he died because I thought I would never hear his songs again... we didn't have a record player then.. but my daddy explained that we could still hear the songs. Lots of happy childhood memories associated with listening to the wireless!!

Oopsminty Sat 16-Nov-19 20:57:06

I've just heard I Feel Love on the X Factor

I loved Donna Summer

harrigran Sat 16-Nov-19 20:51:52

Tell Laura I love her and It might as well rain until September but my real favourite Del Shannon's Runaway.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 16-Nov-19 20:29:29

Yes I remember Peter and Gordon, loved them for a short time before someone else took over. Mini shift dresses and white boots, remember making a dress from an old bed throw. Velvet Underground reminds me of booze/drug filled parties, lying around listening to the songs and smoking.

There were so many, I use to practice my shorthand by writing down the words of the songs. Happy days.

lemongrove Sat 16-Nov-19 20:29:02

Yes, Peter I think. The Scaffold (Lily the Pink) had Paul McCartney’s brother in the band.

Bellanonna Sat 16-Nov-19 20:25:13

Oh yes. Wasn’t one of them Jane Asher’s brother?

lemongrove Sat 16-Nov-19 20:20:18

Anyone remember the rather doleful Peter and Gordon?

lemongrove Sat 16-Nov-19 20:19:18

Oooohhhh, let’s drink let’s drink let’s drink to Lily the Pink the pink the pink, the saviour of the human raaaaace, for she invented, medicinal compound etc.? strange record wasn’t it,but such an ear worm.

Bellanonna Sat 16-Nov-19 19:09:49

Loved Mary Quant. Loved and copied that hairstyle. Wore those shift dresses and white boots. Ahhhh....

craftyone Sat 16-Nov-19 19:01:16

crochet mini dresses and yes white boots and those Mary Quant shift dresses. Oh what happy times, all those lovely parties, no drugs in my circle and only enough drink to make the evening go with a swing. Celery sticks in jars, cubes of cheese and pineapple on sticks. We had the best of times, we really did.

I have asked alexa to play joan baez, I`d forgotten those. Nice too and like Ginny, I am remembering the words.

Jabberwok Sat 16-Nov-19 17:57:02

Oh, and My Boy Lollipop! popular when DH and I were first married! We called our Sheltie puppy after the singer - a girl (and puppy) called Millie!!

Jabberwok Sat 16-Nov-19 17:53:12

Jail House Rock! Last Train to San Fernando! ( am I showing my age?!!!) Little White Bull, Heartbreak Hotel, Half of Sixpence, A Long Lonely Summer, and of course The Beetles! Years ago, but such happy days!

Ginny42 Sat 16-Nov-19 12:51:52

Mini skirts and white boots! Yes, those were the days glammanana. My DD found some of my 60's dresses in the loft and wears them occasionally. Remember Dolly Rockers and Mary Quant?

My first crush was Ricky Nelson with songs like 'Unchained Melody', 'Poor Little Fool.', 'There'll never be anyone else but you for me'

Followed by Adam Faith with 'Poor me.' and 'What do you want?' with his distinctive staccato delivery.

glammanana Fri 15-Nov-19 15:52:45

On Radio Merseyside every Sunday at Noon Frankie Conner plays all late 50s/60s music he was a regular at The Cavern with The Hideaways and other groups of the time the songs take you straight back to your youth.
I like all early Motown music and the dances that they did.
Everything to do with Merseysound as we all came to know them well going to Matthew Street to the club wearing our shortest mini skirts and white boots.