Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Aldi advert

(11 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 12-Nov-19 08:08:07

He is back, Kevin the carrot, this ad is so clever and one i enjoy watching. smile

Pantglas2 Tue 12-Nov-19 09:11:57

Me too travelsafar- caught it last night on C4 and it’s my first this year. I do enjoy them all but my favourite for the last few years has been the teddies at Heathrow Airport - I’m so soppy sometimes!

Witzend Tue 12-Nov-19 09:15:10

I hope it's not like last year's when (IIRC) they were very mean to the poor old unloved parsnip. We love parsnips!

glammanana Tue 12-Nov-19 10:06:44

I wonder if they are bringing Kevin and his family back into the stores to buy I haven't seen him as yet.
I love the advert.

MawB Tue 12-Nov-19 10:07:59

Both M&S and Aldi seem to be homing in on the consumerism/eating/drinking/feasting aspect of Christmas.
Yes I enjoy it, but in the light of sustainability and world events I will be very tired of that in 6 weeks time. sad

travelsafar Wed 13-Nov-19 07:47:15

Love the Asda one too with the children capturing Christmas in the jar. smile Pure magic.

M0nica Wed 13-Nov-19 08:02:52

Our house is in chaos as major work is being done to our CH system so last night I was reduced to huddling in the living room under a blanket and watching television.

I am not sure how many Christmas ads I saw, every ad break seemed to be nothing but Christmas ads. I have even less idea whose adverts I was watching. They were all so universally awful. They were all like some ghastly Disney film or the phoniness of White Christmas, gurning bright white teethed perfect families in the kind of Christmas scenes that were so cloyingly awful the sugar and glitter dripped through the tv screen and onto the carpet, while the subliminal message was so blatant that they might as well just have run a continuous banner across the screen saying 'spend, spend spend, it will make you happy'. (it won't)

I am not usually Scrooge-like at Christmas. In fact I love Christmas, and even, on occasion, enjoy a Christmas ad, but this years ads, and their wall to wall egregiousness more than six weeks before Christmas, was just such a turn-off, that I found myself fantasising about spending Christmas somewhere cold and miserable with nothing to eat or drink.

OK rant over, I feel so much better.

BlueBelle Wed 13-Nov-19 08:06:34

I personally didn’t like aldis new one they have made it manic to try and outdo last years and this is so often a mistake upping and upping the ante of something which was successful until it becomes a caricature of what it was
They don’t know when to stop ??

sodapop Wed 13-Nov-19 12:00:46

Yes I agree with you about the Aldi advert BlueBelle flogging a dead carrot in this case.

JackyB Wed 13-Nov-19 19:15:24

I've just watched it on Youtube. I love Robbe Williams!

The German Aldi Christmas advert is based on Love Actually. They are so different!

youtu.be/R_ektrFH7U8

Harris27 Wed 13-Nov-19 19:20:44

I did love it,! My hairdresser today even commented on it.