Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Gold Digger

(87 Posts)
Chestnut Tue 12-Nov-19 23:09:30

This drama series promises to be an interesting watch with a topical subject. Here a much younger man targets a wealthy 60 year old woman. She throws all caution to the wind and goes along with it. How her grown up children react and the consequences of this relationship will make fascinating viewing.

Magicmaggie Sun 17-Nov-19 17:21:07

I too binge watched it over the last two nights, and really found it addictive, I was also totally sympathetic to the vulnerability of the main character and wanted to
see her have a happy ending.
It’s been ages since I’ve enjoyed a series as much as this one.

FlexibleFriend Sun 17-Nov-19 14:20:22

I enjoyed it although thought it not very believable. I'm also rather pleased to see yet again I'm aging really well when compared to others.

Chestnut Sat 16-Nov-19 23:23:23

NotAGran55 that's a no-no! We don't want to know about the last episode.
Button it!

NotAGran55 Sat 16-Nov-19 22:54:23

I enjoyed the first 5 episodes but thought the last episode was beyond ridiculous.

seacliff Sat 16-Nov-19 21:27:13

Thanks to Chestnut for mentioning this. I started yesterday, and have just binge watched the rest today. I thoroughly enjoyed it, will not say more until you've all seen it. Also love the scenery, crashing wavs etc.

A pleasant change after The Accident!

Jennerdysphoria Sat 16-Nov-19 20:09:27

Hopefully it will deal with the fact that most people have mixed motives anyway.

blondenana Sat 16-Nov-19 19:39:34

Oh, and i wasn't and am not wealthy either

blondenana Sat 16-Nov-19 19:38:51

Watching this with interest, as been in a similiar situation, not at 60 though,and same sons and daughter s objections, which finished it
Not picked up in a museum though

oldgimmer1 Sat 16-Nov-19 19:27:59

Enjoyable bunkum. grin

grapefruitpip Sat 16-Nov-19 17:20:21

I loved The Syndicate, the Street, Ordinary Lies. Fabulous drama.

Atqui Sat 16-Nov-19 15:59:39

Her hair looked very smooth for the birthday dinner ( obv straightened). Glad she’s got quite a ‘normal’ figure otherwise we’d have body envy as well as house envy!!

sandelf Sat 16-Nov-19 15:22:51

Watching - But infuriated from the start. How could a woman be so daft as to accept this pick up in the British Museum. She has forgotten the first rule. - Has to be a few days wait for first date, then do not tell all about yourself just be nice and listen, and do not show him your place before you see his etc. Of course then she would not have put herself in this horrible, committed and vulnerable position. Still, waiting to see what the secrets are...

Sparklefizz Sat 16-Nov-19 14:06:57

Exactly gulligranny - except I don't have an "average husband" to snuggle with afterwards, but an extremely beautiful and above average cat grin

Coolgran65 Sat 16-Nov-19 12:53:57

If it was set in a run down estate it wouldn't have the issue of is he after her money.

gulligranny Sat 16-Nov-19 12:36:16

Sparklefizz, I'm with you! I watch tv for escapism and seeing that lovely house (actually, those lovely houses because the husband & best friend live in a beauty) and those lovely cars and those lovely clothes etc. takes me to somewhere ... lovely!
And I know that when it's over I can turn off the tv and snuggle down in my average house with my average husband and be very, very grateful that I don't have all those awful problems to confront.

Flossieturner Sat 16-Nov-19 10:58:23

@travelsafar, would you mind pm to me and tell me the end. I like to know the ending the watch the story unfold. I do the same with Poirot. I watch the last 15 minutes then go back to the beginning.

Sparklefizz Sat 16-Nov-19 09:09:47

I would have liked to see the same narrative set in run down part of an isolated housing scheme.

I wouldn't! I like a bit of escapism in these dreary times.

grapefruitpip Sat 16-Nov-19 08:48:52

mm style over substance. I would have liked to see the same narrative set in run down part of an isolated housing scheme.

MaggieTulliver Sat 16-Nov-19 08:46:23

Just finished binge-watching it last night. Worth sticking with. Her house is lovely! She’s only 54 though and looks quite a bit older, think they should have casted an older actress who looks younger than her years!

NotAGran55 Sat 16-Nov-19 07:41:05

Going to binge watch this tomorrow. Really looking forward to it.

travelsafar Sat 16-Nov-19 07:32:10

Finished watching series last night, i will refrain from a commenthmm until others have finished it too.

Calendargirl Sat 16-Nov-19 07:14:46

Lisagran

Oh, I shall definitely stick with it, it’s just my envious streak coming out, as I don’t seem to attract chat ups from Jamie Dornan look-alikes!

?

Lisagran Fri 15-Nov-19 22:19:55

If you stick with it, Calendargirl, later episodes (especially the last couple) show why they were both vulnerable and open to wanting to be with someone kind.......

Calendargirl Fri 15-Nov-19 22:08:51

Just watched first episode on IPlayer. Bit disappointed, found it a bit predictable as others have said. Also rather unrealistic, at least to my naive eyes. Would you really dash off for a drink with someone who had just entered into conversation with you in a museum, wander round London with them, treat them to an expensive watch, then let them take you back to your hotel room and have what I can only imagine was torrid sex? And he was half your age! And looked like Jamie Dornan?

Yeah, right!

?

Sparklefizz Fri 15-Nov-19 16:45:28

I wondered if the Make Up Dept had added wrinkles and lines Sparklefizz to age her?

....or maybe she's a smoker? Camilla (Duchess of Cornwall) is very lined from years of smoking.