Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Latest film you've seen at Cinema, and would you recommend?

(53 Posts)
jura2 Tue 19-Nov-19 12:20:45

Went to see 'Sorry we missed you' the latest film by Ken Loach, on Sunday. So harrowing- but one we should all see if we order stuff on-line, via Amazon- etc.

About a young family in Newcastle- working so hard, and yet constantly falling further behind. She working all hours for an Agency, looking after the elderly in their own home. And he, after many disastrous job losses- wanting to be his own boss, and fallinf for the dreaded 'franchise' - as a delivery man. The inhumanity of many jobs today for those in precarious situations. I wanted to scream and cry at the same time.

Chewbacca Thu 05-Dec-19 22:34:50

I saw The Good Liar with Ian McKellan and Helen Mirren, earlier this week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Brilliant cast and a very strong story line that holds you to the very end. Recommended.

LadyGracie Thu 05-Dec-19 15:14:12

The last film I saw was Avatar, we now watch everything on DVD. I love going to the cinema but it’s so loud it plays havoc with my tinnitus.

Thanks everyone though, I’m taking note of all the recommendations.

Chestnut Thu 05-Dec-19 14:42:35

Does anyone else find cinemas so terribly loud these days?
YES! I'm sure they are much louder than in the past. We are not deaf......although we soon will be if we keep going to the cinema. I have bought a pair of ear plugs for rock concerts which reduce the sound level, work really well.

jacq10 Thu 05-Dec-19 12:13:36

I really wanted to see "Sorry we missed you" but for some reason it wasn't shown in our local cinema. I don't suppose it will be that long before it comes to TV. I much prefer the big screen and sound (apart from the trailers and adverts!) and a friend and I take advantage of the Meerkat 2 for 1 offer frequently. Saw "The Good Liar" yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it - only sorry I didn't read the book first.

JenniferEccles Thu 05-Dec-19 11:22:46

Does anyone else find cinemas so terribly loud these days?

I know they have to cater for the deaf but I often have to sit with my hands over my ears as the volume actually hurts my ears.

We tend to wait until films appear on tv which actually seems to happen within a few months.

Moocow Tue 03-Dec-19 19:31:18

I agree matson!

Floradora9 Tue 03-Dec-19 19:27:23

I agree thought Knives out was a great film. Our local Odeon has been updated so we get lots of room with foot rests to put up and really comfortable, If we go at the weekend or Monday we get half price with the Times Tuesday and wednesday two for one with Meercat movies. If you have not got the latter look at Money Savings Expert site . Ond day's travel insurance for a pound and you get it for a year. Lie about health and age to get the best price as you will not be using it .

Namsnanny Tue 03-Dec-19 01:49:54

Sorry for those who are in favour or going to see it but I found Knives Out thoroughly boring.
In fact I fell asleep then woke and couldn't wait for it to end.
I did stay but it didn't improve for me.
Very disappointed as I was looking forward to it.

52bright Tue 03-Dec-19 00:39:07

Thank you for the info on Knives Out Silly Grandma. Think I will give it a go smile

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 02-Dec-19 23:45:32

Paddington 2 grin

BlueBelle Mon 02-Dec-19 22:53:18

I was so disappointed not to see Sorry I missed you but it hasn’t been shown in my area i m still hopeful it might come at some point

BlueBelle Mon 02-Dec-19 22:51:51

Not a film but just got back from a live screening of Les Mis in concert with Michael Ball and Alfie Boe
Oh what a show albeit on the screen

Barmeyoldbat Mon 02-Dec-19 21:06:52

I saw the Sorry We Missed You, it was just so sad and the worst thing it is actually happening to goodness knows how many families. Everyone should see this.

Harris27 Mon 02-Dec-19 19:53:22

Going to see knives out on Wednesday can’t wait!

Harris27 Mon 02-Dec-19 19:52:38

The good liar thoroughly enjoyed it and loved the twists!

Sillygrandma5GK Mon 02-Dec-19 19:50:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GrandmaKT Mon 02-Dec-19 19:34:55

The Good Liar - highly recommended! Both Mirren and McKellen were excellent.

Nortsat46 Mon 02-Dec-19 17:46:25

Greenbook - very good.
Yesterday - very good...

52bright Mon 02-Dec-19 17:39:37

Last two films I have seem were:
Sorry we missed you ...traumatising and realistic regarding people struggling on zero hours contracts. Very thought provoking.

The good Liar ...probably the best film I've seen in quite a while. Well thought out with a twist in the plot. Some short violent scenes which I blocked out as can't cope with what's considered quite mild violence these days. It's rated a 15.

Can anyone please tell me if there's any/much violence in Knives Out as I quite fancy seeing that? Thank you in advance.

Gfplux Mon 02-Dec-19 17:26:49

I also would recommend The Good Liar

Dee1012 Mon 02-Dec-19 16:46:03

I'd also recommend The Joker...excellent acting and direction.
I also liked Once upon a time in Hollywood, I'm not a fan of Tarantino but found this oddly moving.

threexnanny Mon 02-Dec-19 16:16:13

I've booked to see 'Knives Out' soon,but just been to 'A Good Liar'. Brilliantly acted. Without wishing to spoil things for anyone going to see it there is a scene at a tube station which is so cleverly done it's VERY startling.

Gfplux Mon 02-Dec-19 15:19:17

You MUST see
KNIVES OUT
A who done it like Agatha Christy would write. A Poirot and Miss Marple all wrapped up with laugh out loud fun and entertainment.
Yes a MUST SEE.

Chestnut Tue 26-Nov-19 13:59:21

This year I've seen:
A Star is Born - very good, Lady Gaga very talented.
Bohemian Rhapsody - brilliant but I love Queen.
Yesterday - nicely nostalgic and feel good but no romantic chemistry between the two leads.
Downton Abbey - sweet and comforting like a bowl of apple crumble and custard.

NotAGran55 Tue 26-Nov-19 13:53:06

I loved a Yesteday . Downton Abbey Abbey was OK for a catch up. Bait I agree was interesting , watched in a small cinema in Wimbledon .