Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Our Yorkshire Farm

(50 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 20-Nov-19 17:21:12

What a delightful program. Watched on catch up this afternoon and fell in love with the whole family. The children are soo lucky to have such great parents and such an awesome lifestyle. They are learning skills beyond their age and the whole thing reminds me of my childhood when Dad was a farm worker and us kids mucked in during the school holidays with the harvesting and helping to feed baby lambs and calves. Bought a tear to my ey.smile

Teetime Mon 23-Dec-19 09:35:00

I love something the father said ' as long as they are laughing, got full tummies and go to bed reasonably clean that's all I ask for'. DH and I are hooked and hoping to visit later in the year for a cream tea.

Pudding123 Mon 23-Dec-19 09:27:54

I think this is one of the best programmes on TV at the moment ,the children are a delight .I don't think much unnecessary housework ,ironing ect goes on but they all get on so well it is a refreshing change from all the dysfunctional families we see so much of.

travelsafar Mon 23-Dec-19 09:13:32

Has anyone watched the episode with the 'beast from the east' arriving. It showed the whole family pulling together to take care of both animals and each other. It depicted their Christmas day and some shots of Mother's day later in the program, a pure delight to watch and to be allowed too share this family's life style.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 11-Dec-19 22:29:45

I don't think Amanda has any domestic help, they are so isolated, who drive for about 2 to 3 hours to do the job.

AllotmentLil Wed 11-Dec-19 22:23:56

I love the programme but don’t think Amanda has anymore help than what we see - from the children. They’re a brilliant family and Amanda’s style of dress is just a bit eccentric - she is what she is.

sodapop Wed 11-Dec-19 22:06:04

It does seem to be an idyllic life for country lovers, good to see children enjoying the great outdoors without much restriction. I agree with Jabberwok I think Amanda must have some domestic help to keep everything running. Even so the two of them are doing a fantastic job running their farm and bringing up the children.

NotTooOld Wed 11-Dec-19 21:06:42

Amanda reminds me a lot of that Labour MP, is it Angela something? I think she is/was the Shadow Education Minister. Same build, same accent, same hair.

Calendargirl Wed 11-Dec-19 20:41:31

DH - Dear/Darling Husband
DS- Dear/Darling Son.

See Acronyms bottom of page.

Wren123 Wed 11-Dec-19 20:31:01

Can you tell me what DH and DS mean in the messages please ?

Barmeyoldbat Wed 11-Dec-19 20:20:53

Thanks for that Merlorgran, I knew I had read somewhere about modelling, didn't know it was her mum but as you said she had been spotted. Would have thought Knittynatter would have mentioned it. But never mind.

merlotgran Wed 11-Dec-19 20:13:42

Why did you feel the need to comment then Knittynatter?

Knittynatter Wed 11-Dec-19 19:43:38

I have nothing more to add to this conversation. I am not a fan, through personal experience. I don’t need to read any book.

overthehill Wed 11-Dec-19 18:34:01

Knittynatter please tell more as you knew her

Calendargirl Wed 11-Dec-19 18:01:05

The short skirts obviously help the viewing figures. Overheard my neighbour and his gardener discussing her short skirts. Neighbour said “well she’s still sexy even after having all those kids!”

merlotgran Wed 11-Dec-19 17:57:27

knittynatter. If you read any of her books you would know that Amanda's mother was a model and she would have followed in her footsteps had she not had an overwhelming love of farming and animals. She had the correct build and bone structure and had already been 'spotted.'

The reason she dresses like she does is because it's her style. Unusual for farming and at times impractical but she has said many times that she likes to make an effort with make-up etc.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 11-Dec-19 17:46:50

Yes Knitty you are probably right, I have just googled her life but I am sure that I read somewhere she was a model. More fake news it seems. Still the rest of may post still stands.

Knittynatter Wed 11-Dec-19 17:39:25

She never in a million years used to be a model. She obviously has ambition though, and I bet she wouldn’t let family get in the way.
I knew her in a past life.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 11-Dec-19 17:29:54

I don't believe they have any help, the children all seem to know abut cooking and preparing veg. I expect they all make their own beds or they just have to get into unmade beds. Probably no ironing, just washed, dried and folded Amanda use to be a model so she probably still likes a bit of makeup and wearing the odd skirt.

My two children were brought up in a semi rural position, both had to much in and help. My son's bedroom was like the garden shed as he was responsible for cleaning it. They changed their own beds and son did his own ironing from 13. It can be done but you need to be laid back and relaxed about housework.

Labaik Wed 11-Dec-19 17:04:38

I've wondered about that; I've never seen a farmer wearing short skirts before!

overthehill Wed 11-Dec-19 12:29:05

Yes love the programme and the rose tinted view of life on the farm. Something no one else has mentioned is Amanda is seen with full makeup and short skirts. Couldn't really believe this if farm attire. I guess they have more help than is shown

Jabberwok Fri 22-Nov-19 16:54:09

Get roped in?!! All the time? without a murmur?! Up to the age of about 10 children are helpful, but teenagers?!!!

Jabberwok Fri 22-Nov-19 16:50:53

It's the same on the Chateau, but I've a feeling that behind the scenes, Dick is quite firm with young Arthur,who lets face it does, like lots of little boys, (and big ones!) have a tendency to show off! Probably the same on the Farm! However good and helpful they are, they can't be totally perfect!!!!!

Floradora9 Fri 22-Nov-19 16:49:20

I do not believe for one minute they have extra help they just get their children roped in and get on with it . I wish my DIL could have seen the kids all drinking from one glass

merlotgran Fri 22-Nov-19 14:57:51

The one thing that comes across is the patient way both Clive and Amanda explain things to their children. No shouting, no exasperation, no refusals. This is then mirrored in the children's attitude towards each other.

The best way to teach is by example so those children are learning love and respect as well as life and farming skills.

I just hope they don't get stuck in a bog or fall off a gate. grin

storynanny Fri 22-Nov-19 12:15:47

I did wonder who was looking after the 2,3 and 5 year olds when they were both out on the hills with the motorbike son. Apparently the eldest daughter who presumably did some child care , is now at university.
Can’t decide how I feel about the obvious lack of individual attention the children get especially in school work. Is it a good thing or not I just can’t decide
I also have read that there is concern about the health and safety farm laws they are breaking
But I love the general idea of their lovely outdoor healthy lifestyle.