Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

BBC iPlayer from Samsung smart tv

(20 Posts)
grannyticktock Tue 17-Dec-19 22:29:43

My Samsung TV has started working with iPlayer again, but I have discovered what to do if it fails. I don't need any extra gadgets, I can get iPlayer on my tablet, and then use Screen Mirroring to share the image and view it on the TV screen. I know this can be done with Kindle tablets and Samsung tablets, and it probably works with other brands too.

Jane43 Sun 15-Dec-19 13:45:39

That’s good news for those without an Amazon Firestick. I will try it but at the moment I can’t access my Smart Hub at all so thank goodness for my Amazon Firestick and my DH who suggested it as a solution as I watch less live tv every day.

Sillygrandma5GK Sun 15-Dec-19 10:24:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ayse Thu 12-Dec-19 07:57:50

I’ve been watching the iPad since this happened, most of the time. Thank goodness my lovely family in NZ bought me an iPad otherwise I’d be without catch up.

I did try turning the TV off, unplugging it and leaving it, but no joy. I haven’t braved the Amazon stick yet as I get very nervous about making a mistake. Very silly I know.

Catch-up is so useful when I have the grandchildren. They like CBeebies and want to watch the same thing several times.

Thank you Nankate for the suggestion about watching via iPad. It does work very well. I much prefer the App on iPad, it’s so much easier to use than the one on the TV.

NanKate Thu 12-Dec-19 07:44:26

I know many people don’t want to watch tv on their IPads but it suits me. I have downloaded FREE BBC IPlayer, ITV, All 4, Ch5, Freeview. This could be very useful to keep watching whilst you sort out your TVs. Hope that helps.

Willow500 Thu 12-Dec-19 07:01:47

Strange coincidence to read this as yesterday I wanted to watch something on iPlayer and had some issues installing it on our Samsung tv - mainly due to the fact I'd forgotten the password as I've only had it on my pc before. It did work eventually though - our tv is about 3 years old. I'll keep an eye out for any issues with it now.

crystaltipps Thu 12-Dec-19 03:26:17

Funnily this happened to us yesterday- no iPlayer. I did the update - still no difference. Followed the advice in one of the links above- switch everything off for 10 minutes. When I switched on again got another reminder to update- did this - magic! IPlayer is back! Thanks for this thread as otherwise I wouldn’t have known this was a common problem.

Fiachna50 Thu 12-Dec-19 01:40:11

I have a Panasonic TV that is not a Smart TV. I am really puzzled as when I press the red button a message has come up saying we will not get red button services or iplayer from 31 Jan 2020. If this is the case I will be writing and asking the BBC what exactly am I paying a licence fee for? I just don't understand it as my TV is not a Smart, so why are we losing this service?

grannyticktock Wed 11-Dec-19 23:18:14

I had the same problem yesterday. I got a message on iPlayer telling me to update my Samsung TV software, yet when I tried to to an update it said there were no updates available (I had last attempted this in March). Anyway, I set it to Auto Update at midnight, and today iPlayer is working again. I am still concerned, though, because my TV model (2012 or 2013) is not listed by iPlayer as an approved model, so I don't know how much longer it will work for.
So it may worth trying Auto Update. Failing that, my next resort would be to call Samsung Support.

Sillygrandma5GK Tue 10-Dec-19 20:58:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ayse Tue 10-Dec-19 16:17:29

Some time ago I think there was something on Watchdog about Smart TVs not supporting a variety of apps, so it may be there are other makers that follow this path as well. Next time I have to buy one it will be a very basic model. I didn’t want to buy another piece of technology as it has Alexa attached and I’m not talking to computers. Rather disturbingly, the Guardian reported that all these clever devices can listen in to private conversations. It’s 1984 and Big Brother is watching us and I find it rather scary and feel I’m being invaded.

Another thing, apparently many NHS records have been sold to Amazon with no safeguards at all.

Jane43 Tue 10-Dec-19 16:03:56

I think it’s mainly Samsung models Tanith but I have seen a couple of complaints about iPlayer not working on Panasonic and LG tv’s, I can’t verify this as both our tv’s are Samsungs.

tanith Tue 10-Dec-19 14:40:23

But does it happen with other makes too?

ayse Tue 10-Dec-19 14:35:10

Ok, so I called technical support and they said my not 2 year model no longer supports BBC IPlayer. I won’t be buying a Samsung TV again.

It’s not the BBC at fault!

The only fix is to buy a Firestick and watch it through that, so I have. No more Samsung for me!

Jane43 Mon 09-Dec-19 18:24:53

That’s useful information tanith. I really was very taken aback when I found I couldn’t access the iPlayer, thankfully my DH is better with technology than me. I did wonder if it was the BBC trying to find a way of making people pay for their new Britbox app.

tanith Mon 09-Dec-19 17:40:33

I just found this it’s worth a try

www.which.co.uk/news/2019/03/what-to-do-if-your-samsung-tv-has-lost-access-to-iplayer/

ayse Mon 09-Dec-19 17:33:03

Mine doesn’t work either and the TV is not 2 years old yet!

Thank you for posting. I’m so pleased I’m not alone but absolutely furious that this should happen. For me it’s the app that doesn’t work properly. I can’t watch catch-up but can link in to watch a currently playing programme.

I’m going to call PC World tomorrow and see if it can be fixed. It really isn’t good enough! The more complicated technology becomes the more difficult and costly it is to keep up.

So I now can’t get all the ITV channels and HD on my tv because the local mast has been changed and we are on a communal aerial so that has to be watched via an app. I can’t get catch up on IPlayer as already described. I’m truly and utterly p****d off. I just don’t have the financial resources to keep up with all this

Namsnanny Mon 09-Dec-19 15:40:57

Very thoughtful of you Jane43.

Isnt technology frustrating nowadays?!

Thank goodness your h found a way around the problem smile

tanith Mon 09-Dec-19 15:34:35

Thank goodness mine still works ok.

Jane43 Mon 09-Dec-19 15:29:11

From last Friday some Samsung smart televisions won’t now allow you to access BBC iPlayer. This was a huge blow to me as I watch so much through the BBC iPlayer. We have just spent a frustrating hour trying to sort out what to do and DH has worked out that it will work through my Amazon Firestick. I thoughtI would post this on here in case anybody else is having a similar problem.