Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Happy Valley

(19 Posts)
inkcog Wed 11-Dec-19 12:36:15

I have watched this a second time. It is one of the best things I have ever seen.
The script, the acting all of it. The faces and features of all the actors match perfectly the character. The contrast between the various " worlds", the house softly lit against the dark exterior, the backdrop of the countryside.....all of it. Fantastic.

pinkquartz Wed 11-Dec-19 12:41:07

where did you watch please...it was one of the best dramas for a very long time.

inkcog Wed 11-Dec-19 13:07:36

Netflix. Stunning.

Jane10 Wed 11-Dec-19 13:26:17

Was that the one with Raquel from Corrie in it as a policewoman? If so I found I couldn't watch it. It was just too distressing and unpleasant. I watch TV for entertainment not to be made so uncomfortable

inkcog Wed 11-Dec-19 13:39:16

Yes Jane, that is the one. Personally I found the strong narrative and the humanity of the characters carried me through. There was violence but it was not the main feature of the programme. There was light and shade and a sense of fortitude.

I switched off Luther as I found it to be absolutely vile tbh.

Grannybags Wed 11-Dec-19 13:41:30

I loved it and could easily watch it all again. The title nearly put me off - thought it was going to be all lovey dovey!

whywhywhy Wed 11-Dec-19 13:41:57

Such a great drama, I just loved it and might watch it again as Hubby hasn't seen it yet. x

Greeneyedgirl Wed 11-Dec-19 13:41:58

I enjoy dramas such as this, which I found excellent, to escape from the often unpleasantness and reality of life as it is at the moment. I presume you can't watch the news or election coverage Jane10, which I find pretty unpleasant much of the time?

Namsnanny Wed 11-Dec-19 13:47:10

Couldn't agree more inkcog grin

Sussexborn Wed 11-Dec-19 13:58:49

I loved it but OH thought it was too grim! Partly possibly because all the storylines could well be going on around us?

We both enjoyed watching Luther. Gritty but not as ‘real’ somehow. At least I hope not. Ruth Wilson’s character was terrifying.

Jane10 Wed 11-Dec-19 14:24:29

greeneyedgirl- the news and election coverage is just boring, childish sniping. Thanks to the whole turgid mess that brexit turned the country into I no longer routinely watch the news at all.

pinkquartz Wed 11-Dec-19 15:14:41

Oh thanks. I have Netflix so that is one to watch again.
It is unpleasant but when the drama is so well produced it seems watchable.

The news is mostly avoided by me as far too stressful.

Maggiemaybe Wed 11-Dec-19 15:57:24

I loved Happy Valley. Some of it was filmed on DS and DDIL's street - Hayley from Corrie and her husband the corrupt police officer were "living" next door but one. DS got a bit of stick after it aired about the state of their front hedge. grin

I agree about Luther, inkcog. I used to love it, but had to give up on the latest series. Far too graphic.

Jane43 Wed 11-Dec-19 16:25:33

Sarah Lancashire at her best, hard to watch at times but an excellent drama. We need more of this quality.

inkcog Wed 11-Dec-19 17:39:13

Wow Maggie, super impressed.

Alima Wed 11-Dec-19 17:40:02

Brilliant series. (There is so much dross on TV now. Have yet to watch any Luther, keep meaning to).

Greeneyedgirl Wed 11-Dec-19 18:40:37

I liked the first series of Luther but thought it waned thereafter. I agree about Ruth Wilson Sussexborn. Problem is I can't see her as any other character now.
I thought Line of Duty was excellent, but that can be quite violent.
I also like some of the French series such as Spiral, and some Scandi stuff.
I agree about news ala Brexit Jane 10. ?sorry if this is a B*** free zone.

oldgimmer1 Thu 12-Dec-19 10:58:57

I was hoping for another series of this but it hasn't happened yet.

Excellent drama right up there with Line of Duty.

Pudding123 Thu 12-Dec-19 11:12:18

I watched Happy Valley and found it gripping but had to watch some of the more violent scenes with a cushion in front of my face,I know it is probably a reflection of real life and the script was so well written but I did find it harrowing in parts.Talking of Sarah Lacashire I believe Last Tango in Halifax is coming back for another series and that was really watchable.