Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Will anybody miss the BBC red button service which stops at the end of January?

(36 Posts)
jacq10 Tue 07-Jan-20 21:00:05

I somehow think it will be missed but mainly by the older generation of non internet users. I only occasionally use it when I have bought a lottery ticket which isn't very often but late DH used it regularly for sports results, currency rates, etc.

tanith Tue 07-Jan-20 21:11:14

I don’t think I’ve ever used it but do use the green button occasionally.

Bathsheba Tue 07-Jan-20 21:12:31

What is the red button service? (haha, you can tell I won't miss it!)

jacq10 Tue 07-Jan-20 21:25:01

Bathsheba - If you press the red button on your TV you'll find out!!

Barmeyoldbat Tue 07-Jan-20 22:13:42

Never used it but I do use the green button a fair bit.

merlotgran Tue 07-Jan-20 22:14:46

I only use it during Glastonbury. grin

MissAdventure Tue 07-Jan-20 22:17:17

I only know how to use the on/off, and the up and down to scroll channels.
Even then I mess up sometimes and have to turn it off and back on again.

gulligranny Tue 07-Jan-20 22:17:26

Whilst I have a computer and am IT-literate, I use the text service to, for example, catch up with football scores on a Saturday afternoon, or to check on whether there are any delays on my local Tube line if I'm going into London. I also like to check news headlines etc. during the day when I don't actually want to have to go upstairs and sit down at my pc. So yes, I am going to miss it a lot.

aggie Tue 07-Jan-20 22:22:42

I will miss it a lot , I check the news headlines every morning and through the day check for updates on current stories.
I check for which flights are delayed and what roadworks are in my area

Bathsheba Tue 07-Jan-20 22:47:17

Bathsheba - If you press the red button on your TV you'll find out!!

I take it you mean the red button on my remote control hmmgrin

Fiachna50 Tue 07-Jan-20 22:57:39

I will miss it alot for the weather which I checked daily on it and occasional news. I really don't understand why it's being taken away.

ladymuck Wed 08-Jan-20 07:01:27

Yes, I will miss it. I use it a lot. The news bulletins don't mention everything, and many times they concentrate on sport or entertainment instead of the actual news.

I'm not sure what the alternative will be but I will not be coerced into using the internet!

BlueBelle Wed 08-Jan-20 07:09:20

Well well, never used a red button or any other button
I get all my news, weather etc (guessing that’s what it’s for by previous answers) on my iPad don’t most people ?

Beechnut Wed 08-Jan-20 07:12:29

I will miss it.

kittylester Wed 08-Jan-20 07:13:18

I do too, bluebell, but not everyone does.

BlueBelle Wed 08-Jan-20 07:26:47

kittylester I had no idea what any of the buttons on the remote are for except the normal ones never been curious but there are so many and varied news programmes and weather services (even local ones on my fb) that I probably wouldn’t have felt the need even if I did know or without an iPad
But it always sad to lose something you’re familiar with so I understand where the posters are coming from but I would imagine the thought behind losing it is what I quoted so many other alternatives

Doodledog Wed 08-Jan-20 07:36:35

I had to press the red button to find out what it did, so no - I won't miss it grin

Oldwoman70 Wed 08-Jan-20 07:59:22

I use it daily as a quick way to check news, weather and stock market. Anyone know why it is being stopped?

jacq10 Wed 08-Jan-20 09:39:09

From what I read the BBC explain it as using their resources in different ways and they want users to access them through podcasts, blogs, etc.

Septimia Wed 08-Jan-20 09:46:32

DH reads the news on his computer - working his way through various newspapers - but he's complaining about the loss of the red button because it supplies local and national news that isn't necessarily available elsewhere.

jacq10 Wed 08-Jan-20 09:51:22

Would just add that I get really annoyed at the assumption that everyone has access to a computer. A classic example was gillybob's experience at the doctors yesterdy when she was told she could not make an appointment at the desk and had to go on-line. Quite a few of my friends in their 70's are not.

kittylester Wed 08-Jan-20 10:17:16

I agree jacq10. I am quite technology savvy but I have a younger brother who is totally disinterested. My other brother and I are on a mission to get him on the internet as it is quite a disadvantage not to be, but it is not for everyone!

henetha Wed 08-Jan-20 10:24:11

I use the red button every day and will miss is a lot.
However, things change and so must we.

Charleygirl5 Wed 08-Jan-20 10:45:44

I have never managed to get mine to work so no.

Anniebach Wed 08-Jan-20 12:27:47

Yes, I still miss Cefax too !