Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie

(163 Posts)
Fiachna50 Sat 25-Jan-20 12:53:24

Hi everyone, if like me you are an Agatha Christie fan. The above-named drama begins Sunday 9th February BBC1 at 9pm.

grannyticktock Tue 18-Feb-20 22:47:36

Another bewildered viewer here. I enjoyed the first part, but was totally confused by the second. When so many of us are left perplexed, wondering what was real and what was fantasy, who died and who survived, etc, it's the production that's at fault, not the viewers.

Sara65 Wed 19-Feb-20 06:49:39

Caught up with episode two last night, I too am confused!

Definitely didn’t enjoy it.

shysal Wed 19-Feb-20 10:00:46

I am so pleased that I am not the only confused viewer! Here is an explanation.
finance.yahoo.com/news/pale-horse-ending-explained-happened-093300373.html

Beswitched Wed 19-Feb-20 10:22:25

This fashion for clever clever endings to TV dramas that leave viewers scratching their head and rushing to the Internet for explanations is really becoming tiresome.

Parsley3 Wed 19-Feb-20 10:41:37

Another one here who had to look for an explanation on the internet and I am still not clear. I watched to the end because of Rufus Sewell, but I didn’t enjoy it. I won’t bother with any more of these adaptations.

FarNorth Fri 21-Feb-20 21:55:28

Thanks for that explanation, shysal.
I was going to watch the 2nd part on catch up but I won't bother now.
It sounds ghastly.

Eloethan Mon 24-Feb-20 11:09:44

I'd recorded this and watched it over the weekend. What a waste of time. I couldn't make head nor tail of it and the supposed resolution was just nonsense. Agatha Christie's stories were usually very cleverly plotted but this just made no sense at all.

M0nica Mon 24-Feb-20 21:19:44

Eloethan Agatha Christie's stories were usually very cleverly plotted but this just made no sense at all. That is because any connection between Agatha Christie's book The Pale Horse and this drama, title and the names of a few characters apart, was purely coincidental.

Eloethan Mon 24-Feb-20 23:30:01

Oh, I see - that explains it then. I don't think Agatha Christie was a great "literary" writer but she knew how to plot a mystery so that everything added up, unlike some modern authors.

SueDonim Tue 25-Feb-20 01:09:15

First off, I’d like to point out that I have first dibs on Rufus Sewell! He has an air of mystery about him, to me. And I like tall, dark handsome men. grin. I’d also nab him simply for that gorgeous car he was driving, although the back-to-front door disturbed me a little.

We enjoyed it as a way to pass a snowy winter’s evening. I’ve never read an Agatha Christie so maybe my expectations were low. Loved the fashions and the apartment Mark & Delphine/Hermia lived in. I also noticed the handkerchief on the wrong side of Mark’s suit but I didn’t notice the hay bales. It was lovely to see Rita Tushingham again, she still looks elfin-like!

As to the ending, I assumed it was a recurring nightmare he was doomed to suffer as the punishment he’d asked for in the hospital.

M0nica Tue 25-Feb-20 15:46:13

Glad I just stuck to the book, which is a ripping good yarn and is said to have inspired several real poisoners.

mrsgreenfingers56 Tue 25-Feb-20 15:54:19

Think Agatha Christie would turn in her grave with the swearing that was in it. Just not needed and totally unnecessary.