Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Endeavour

(73 Posts)
Fiachna50 Sun 02-Feb-20 19:46:51

There is a new series of Endeavour beginning next Sunday. Unfortunately, this clashes with The Pale Horse if you are unable to record them, you will get Pale Horse on the BBC I-player and Endeavour on the STV player. (ITV player for those not in Scotland) I love Endeavour.

Kalu Mon 10-Feb-20 09:55:14

Thanks for letting us know Fiachna and NanKate?
Just the job to pass the time during dark winter nights. Looking forward to all three??

Welshwife Mon 10-Feb-20 10:49:44

Fred’s wife was enraged with him getting involved with gangsters and was leaving him - Morse distanced himself too and Fred saw the error of his ways and was forgiven - took up the ballroom dancing with his wife again too.
I feel sorry for Insp Bright with his wife so ill.

Calendargirl Mon 10-Feb-20 13:03:01

Didn’t they get back together end of last series after Fred had come to his senses getting in with the crooks etc? Did she get a job because he had lent their savings to his ne’er-do-well brother and he lost it all? It was to help fund their retirement, the savings, which is why she’s catching an early bus to work and Fred is having to rustle up his own sandwiches with hard butter!

Calendargirl Mon 10-Feb-20 13:06:19

Sorry Welshwife our replies have clashed!
Does anyone remember Carol Royle, who plays Bright’s dying wife, being in a series in the early 80’s with John Duttine? The title escapes me at the moment, but she was so pretty then. I think he or she were reporters for a local paper. Must look up the name.

Sussexborn Mon 10-Feb-20 13:12:49

There does appear to be a new Montalbano on the list. We debated watching it but realised it wouldn’t finish til after midnight. Past OH’s bedtime!

Jane10 Mon 10-Feb-20 13:43:33

I do remember Carol Royle. She seems rather too glamorous even as ill as she is, for poor old Bright.

Welshwife Mon 10-Feb-20 13:55:56

Ah yes - but maybe met him when he was in the Colonial police. He is such a nice character now.

Fiachna50 Mon 10-Feb-20 17:59:25

Calendargirl, thank you for reminding me what happened in the previous series of Endeavour. I do wish sometimes they would give a recap. I really enjoyed Sundays episode and the surprise ending! I wonder what will happen re Morse and Ludo and his wife. I don't want to put too much here incase folk have not caught up with it yet.

jo1book Mon 10-Feb-20 18:07:41

I think this is a set-up in some way. Ludo made such an effort to befriend Morse that he probably knows about the wife. I get this feeling that the series is growing quite dark. Thursday is up for some kind of sticky end, it is rumoured, as this is supposed to be the last series. Whereas Strange continues in the John Thaw series, Thursday doesn't.

Cabbie21 Mon 10-Feb-20 18:17:27

I thought Bright’s wife died in the previous series?

eazybee Mon 10-Feb-20 18:17:32

I remember Carol Royle; she was absolutely beautiful and looks pretty good now even though she is supposed to be dying.
I wish Endeavour wouldn't parade about in his vest; young men rarely wore them in the 70s, and Thursday would take that rather peculiar hat off when he was inside, particularly when interviewing formally.

Sparklefizz Mon 10-Feb-20 19:07:54

jolbrook I think this is a set-up in some way. Ludo made such an effort to befriend Morse that he probably knows about the wife.

I was surprised Morse naively fell for Ludo's opening gambit because actually Ludo knew nothing about him. He started sentences and let Morse finish them with the facts - his name, his college.

I enjoy seeing the inside of Morse's house because it reminds me of my parents' home. Nobody was wearing hats like Thursday's in the late 60s/early 70s, and (as you say eazybee) young men didn't wear vests. But Morse would not get away with hair the length of his. Police officers, even CID, had to have shorter hair than that.

Kittye Mon 10-Feb-20 19:24:26

I remember Carol Royle from the Cedar Tree a day time programme in the early 70s. Also starred a young Nigel Havers.
I get a bit annoyed with Endeavour. I don’t think a young man in those days would have had that hairstyle. He looks rather old fashioned for a young man of the late 60s early 70s. I don’t think the wardrobe of most of the cast fits that era

seacliff Mon 10-Feb-20 20:39:14

I was a bit confused by the very last bit, along the canal. I looked on other forums, and they said these 3 episodes are slightly linked together. Is this the last series ever?

jo1book Mon 10-Feb-20 21:01:49

As Morse is in the eighties, probably,
I was also confused by the end - obvious the canal murder is not down to the lustful professor (thank God his wife now has control of the cheque book).
I feel it in my corns that Thursday could be right; look to the boyfriend!

Calendargirl Mon 10-Feb-20 21:04:57

The Carol Royle series I was trying to remember was The Outsider. I really fancied John Duttine. Such a disappointment when I spotted him in Heartbeat years later. Somewhat heavier and just not very sexy anymore. (Sigh)

Calendargirl Mon 10-Feb-20 21:06:30

I thought Ludo might be gay, and fancied Morse!

jo1book Mon 10-Feb-20 21:11:47

If you recall, Morse never had any luck with women. At least two of his amours were murderesses. I feel Endeavour is to learn a hard lesson through his Italian love.

Jane10 Mon 10-Feb-20 21:31:01

My grandfather most certainly wore a hat like that in the 60s! I think it's one of the reasons I like Thursday. He reminds me of Grampa and all the other older men at that time.
I thought Bright's wife had died in the last series.
The production was a bit irritatingly 'arty' last night. I see Shaun Evans was directing it as well as being Morse. Hmmmm. Not sure if that's a good thing.

Harris27 Mon 10-Feb-20 22:00:27

I’ve just watched it after a busy Sunday. Ha to remember all the bits from the last series but I do think this will be good I do like morse always have done. Thanks for the memory jolted about the cedar tree brings back memories of Our first flat and eldest son as a baby! Now 42!

Jabberwok Tue 11-Feb-20 14:31:02

Yes my grandfather also wore a hat like that in the 50's and 60's, in fact until he died in 1980 aged 93!!! as did his business colleagues, they also tipped them when talking to, greeting or leaving a woman . Boys wore caps to school as well! Also raising them!! I think Thursday was just of this generation as he, and Bright must be up for retirement pretty soon. Morse as a much younger man wouldn't have worn a hat, but his hair would have been shorter!!

NanKate Wed 19-Feb-20 07:48:49

I’m sorry this is going to be the last series. The actors are so good in it and I know Oxford very well.

Sara65 Wed 19-Feb-20 07:52:20

I didn’t know this was the last series, such a shame, one of my favourites.

Fiachna50 Thu 20-Feb-20 02:13:23

Hi everyone, just caught up with Sunday's Endeavour, it was excellent. I don't think this can be the last series yet. The first episode of this series was set in the New Year of 1970. Inspector Morse proper began in the 1990s, did it not? On another note, he is heading for disaster with Violetta and what the heck is Thursday up to wandering the tow-path at night? Especially as not a soul seems to know he's doing this. Loved seeing our own Grado the wrestler in Sunday's episode. He did not a bad job of the English accent I thought.

NanKate Thu 20-Feb-20 07:12:58

I hope I am wrong and that we do get a Season 8 ?