Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Orrie

(33 Posts)
Gingster Mon 03-Feb-20 21:01:08

What does everyone think of the Corrie story line with Yasmeen and Geoff? I find her pathetic and needy. Perhaps I’m wrong and this is a realistic storyline.

vegansrock Mon 03-Feb-20 21:18:20

I don’t think an intelligent women like Yasmeen would be cowed by the ghastly Geoff but I guess it’s Corrie’s attempt to do a coercive control storyline.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 03-Feb-20 21:26:55

Oh god I could throw something at the tele when Geoff appears, great actor though, he makes me hate him, I want to shake yasmeen. But saying that I’m sure it goes on a lot more than we realise,

Luckylegs Mon 03-Feb-20 21:37:56

I’ve been screaming at the screen, particularly when Geoff hissed those horrible words at her and she looks so troubled and worried - she drives me mad! I’m shouting all this horrible stuff at him and her, telling her to tell him to go himself, get him told etc etc! I absolutely hate that man, good actor he may be but he so gets my goat with this part!

BlueBelle Mon 03-Feb-20 22:00:25

Well it’s certainly a true to life scenario but not at all realistic for yasmeen it doesn’t fit with her at all and is getting me annoyed too

Namsnanny Mon 03-Feb-20 22:07:08

vegansrock I think you're missing the point they are making in spades, which is that anyone no matter how intelligent or 'strong' a person they are, is always open to coercive or controlling behaviour from a loved one.

We drop our guard with people we love don't we? So that gentle step by step chipping away at a persons confidence can easily be described in the beginning as compromise.
It's called gaslighting I believe.

I know people in my own life, who have been strong loving capable people, who have been controlled in this way.

I have to turn over when Yasmeen and Geoff come on. It makes me remember the treatment meted out to the victims I knew.

Ginster …. I think one has to either be the victim or close to the victim to understand how this happens.
In truth imv, the behaviour of the Geoff character is very real.
Although in my experience it was women who actually did this to their partners and/or family.

Ian Bartholomew, the actor who plays the part of Geoff is very good and I feel the same way TrendyNnnie6 smile

sodapop Tue 04-Feb-20 09:27:22

I agree Namsnanny the coercion is so insidious the victim does not realise what is happening, even the most intelligent people can be affected. Yasmeen is also I think still hurting from her first husband's affair etc.

Jane10 Tue 04-Feb-20 09:36:22

I think the storyline is very well written. I just don't think Yasmeen is a good actress.

JessK Tue 04-Feb-20 10:01:25

The acting is superb and quite realistic. It's a current topic and well worth showing in Corrie but I do think it has run on a bit too long now.
It will be interesting to see how it ends though. Will Geoff be written out or shown as a continuing character who needs help? Very interesting.

gillybob Tue 04-Feb-20 10:37:29

The guy who plays the hateful Geoff is a good actor as he terrifies me ! I can’t believe Yasmeen’s friends believed Geoff over the supposed drinking problem. I hope her granddaughter or perhaps his own son Tim sees through him very soon .

Calendargirl Tue 04-Feb-20 13:50:03

Oh, he’ll get his come-uppance eventually. I know this goes on obviously, but honestly! Yasmeen was hardly a heavy drinker, all this making her do all the housework, working in Speed Dahl as well, no money of her own, sending her shopping with hardly any money, calling her hateful names, belittling her.
Why on earth would she marry him?

NotTooOld Tue 04-Feb-20 14:12:16

I remember Yasmeen as a very strong character before she married Geoff and Geoff was a different character, too. Remember him as the hospital DJ? Corrie characters are always changing depending on who is writing their lines. Poor old Gail changes all the time. I don't know how the actors keep up with it.

Jane10 Tue 04-Feb-20 15:24:32

Baddies always get their comeuppance in Corrie. Wish they'd get on with it with that storyline though.

lucywinter Tue 04-Feb-20 15:32:11

I hate this storyline. I think Geoff made a mistake when he recorded his abuse of her on his phone. I think somehow this will out him. Hope it happens soon.

harrigran Tue 04-Feb-20 16:30:54

It is a horrible storyline and I don't think it actually helps anyone in that situation. She comes across as weak and him as an extreme bully, in fact not a nice human being at all.
Thankfully people like him usually get their come uppance, I have a fancy Yasmeen might end up doing time for this to come about.

Curlywhirly Tue 04-Feb-20 16:42:43

Lucywinter I also think the video Geoff took of Yasmeen will be how Geoff gets found out - maybe Alya finds the phone and watches tbe video? This storyline is awful to watch and I hope it comes to a conclusion soon. I am however, enjoying Steve and Tracey trying to revive their 'boring' marriage - the faces Steve pulls tickle me up!

Namsnanny Tue 04-Feb-20 17:03:26

It is a horrible story line, but no more than all the others about shooting and child abuse, or rape.

This one hits home for me because of its total believability. Having seen people like Geoff in action, nothing in the story line is out of the realms of possibility for his personality type.

As I said I often turn over when Geoff is on so I'm not up to date with all of his shenanigans, but didn't he put a spy cam in the sitting room? Is it still there?

Jane43 Wed 05-Feb-20 13:01:25

This is one of the better storylines in what used to be a great soap but I gave up watching Corrie a while ago because I just couldn’t stand the continual focus on the awful Gemma.

Calendargirl Wed 05-Feb-20 22:26:51

After tonight’s episodes, do you think Yasmeen is getting wise to Geoff’s antics? I do hope so. I would make him grovel, horrible little man.

Doodledog Thu 06-Feb-20 00:33:05

I think that Geoff has played Yasmeen again, by making her think that he is sorry, and that he loves her.

She is a decent person, and will want to love and support him - perhaps all the more, if she thinks she is the only one who can - but if this plays out the way it so often does in real life he has just 'hoovered' her back up and will treat her badly again and again until either she finds the strength to leave him or it ends very badly for her.

He's done all the classic things like isolating her from her family, getting others onside (although I still have hopes for Kathy), portraying himself as the victim of her 'alcoholism' and as the supportive one, and making Yasmeen doubt herself.

It is very well written, but I agree that the actress who plays Yasmeen is wooden.

Calendargirl Fri 28-Feb-20 21:00:23

Poor Charlotte Bronte.
I marvelled how Geoff managed to slaughter, pluck, draw and cook her while Yasmeen slept. Must have taken him quite a while to do all this. Plus all the veg preparation also.
??

sodapop Fri 28-Feb-20 21:47:52

Yes we wondered that too Calendargirl speedy worker isn't he ?

bikergran Sat 29-Feb-20 09:00:15

Oh I truly did feel for Yasmin last night...if anyone watched it.

Poor Charlotte!! the chicken! how cruel he was in what he did.!

Jane10 Sat 29-Feb-20 10:26:47

It was appallingly nasty. Surely he'll get his come uppance soon. I still can't stand Yasmeen whiny acting.
I hope Aliya gets wise to things soon but the writers sure spun out Pat Phelan's story for ages.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 29-Feb-20 10:33:37

Last nights episode turned my stomach, poor charlotte, it amazes me how he hasn’t been rumbled yet, I’m so wanting this storyline to finish, come on Aliya expose him for what he is!