Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Dancing on Ice: The Headbanger

(33 Posts)
Sparklefizz Mon 10-Feb-20 08:34:27

I really do feel the Headbanger should be excluded from Dancing on Ice. Why should female skaters be subjected to such a dangerous manoeuvre? Plus it doesn't even look all that attractive, and I find I am grimacing every time the woman's hair grazes the ice.

Maura last night said how terrifying it is, especially after her head hit the ice during practice when thankfully she was wearing a helmet.

I reckon it should be banned. Do others think the same?

Granny23 Mon 10-Feb-20 08:39:12

Quite agree. Ice dancing is supposed to be an art form, not a test of bravery.

Oopsminty Mon 10-Feb-20 08:48:00

Was Bonnie Langford the first 'celeb' to be head banged?

She was a great contestant

If they're happy to do it, I can't see a problem

I don't think anyone is forced

Just skating can be dangerous.

Charleygirl5 Mon 10-Feb-20 09:52:00

Nobody is forced to do it but mistakes do happen- I also think it should be banned even when professional ice skaters do it. For me there is nothing artistic about it.

Urmstongran Mon 10-Feb-20 10:22:19

It’s more acrobatics than dancing.

Moocow Mon 10-Feb-20 21:17:17

Totally agree. I'd rather watch the M&S jeans advert!

I stopped watching dancing on ice some years ago though because of the need to include things like the headbanger.

MissAdventure Mon 10-Feb-20 21:23:09

I only watch it because there's a risk of slebs being hurt.

Those professional skaters are brave women to be manhandled by people who can barely skate!

notanan2 Mon 10-Feb-20 21:35:41

I thought the EXACT same thing about female skaters taking all the physical risks, and noted that the sane sex skaters didnt do any "death defying" moves..

The headbanger isnt asthetically pleasing or graceful. Its sole purpose is to cause gasps as a womans head is nearly smashed into the ice. I think we should be better than that now. There are plenty of other skating skills to perfect instead

notanan2 Mon 10-Feb-20 21:38:00

I did not feel that Maura was a driving force in its addition to their routine.

She clearly would rather have not done it, but having signed up to DOI she may have felt she had to roll with the punches.

The whole thing made me very uncormfortable.

MissAdventure Sun 01-Mar-20 19:18:22

I can't find the other thread, but Perri's second dance.
Pure bliss! smile

Sparklefizz Sun 01-Mar-20 19:38:35

I was just about to post the same MissA - so moving that I cried!

dogsmother Sun 01-Mar-20 19:41:47

He’s worthy of winning this, that really was a beautiful performance.

MissAdventure Sun 01-Mar-20 19:42:39

Me too. blush
Then Joe's performance was quite moving, and he's such a down to earth bloke.

MissAdventure Sun 01-Mar-20 19:43:44

Perri is the winner for me.
I got goosebumps.

Sparklefizz Sun 01-Mar-20 19:52:31

Perri is the winner for me too.... and he seems such a humble guy. I remember him when he was just a child when Diversity appeared on the scene. He is fearless. I love him!

EllanVannin Sun 01-Mar-20 20:33:27

A lovely young man. Perri for me as well. He puts everything into whatever he does and he was marvellous in Diversity I agree.

Treebee Sun 01-Mar-20 20:59:03

The second Perri’s dance finished I rewound and watched it again. Stunning.

Lilypops Sun 01-Mar-20 22:46:36

Perri must be the winner , his second dance was mesmerising, and he is so humble and nice, but does anyone find John Barrowman irritating now with his Fabulous. shout , Do I detect a little irritation from Chris Dean whenever Barrowman is speaking?? He certainly looks fed up with him

callgirl1 Mon 02-Mar-20 00:26:18

Every time John Barrowman shouts FABULOUS! I cringe, and say "I wish he wouldn`t do that!"
I enjoyed all 4 couples tonight, thought they all deserved to get to the final, but Perri to win! Doesn`t Joe Swash look like his dad?

MissAdventure Mon 02-Mar-20 01:03:06

Oh yes!
It was quite uncanny when the first few photos came up - I thought they were of Joe, somehow.

DanniRae Mon 02-Mar-20 13:21:10

I am not watching it this year but when I have watched it in the past I hated the headbanger - so I agree it should be banned before someone's head smashes into the ice.
It's no good being sorry after the event sad

Sparklefizz Sun 08-Mar-20 12:28:27

Dancing on Ice final tonight - come on Perri !!!

EllanVannin Sun 08-Mar-20 13:41:23

Perri to win---I hope.

Sparklefizz Sun 08-Mar-20 19:45:58

Ooooh - Perri's Bolero ..... I'm in tears. Soooo moving.

Treebee Sun 08-Mar-20 19:48:31

And to think Perri had never seen T & D’s Bolero before. He’s amazing, he must win.