Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Movies that you'll never forget, or wish you could!

(159 Posts)
ananimous Thu 13-Feb-20 16:30:06

So... wink

I will never forget:-
Jo Jo Rabbit
Hubby and I went to the movies last year to watch "Jo Jo Rabbit" - As it ended we all stood and began dancing, and snapping our fingers (you have to see the movie to understand) not a dry eye in the house.

Wish I could forget "Erasurehead"

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 12:01:33

Nanny Big Bang...

When you need me, but do not want me then I must stay. But when you want me but no longer need me, I have to go. Nanny MacPhee

#Be Nice

grannyactivist Wed 26-Feb-20 01:05:27

Impactful films:
I, Daniel Blake
The Killing Fields
Hotel Rwanda
Cathy Come Home
Schindler's List

Some film favourites:
Local Hero (I'm rather surprised this doesn't feature on anyone else's list.)
The Bridges of Madison County (The calibre of acting is superb.)
Madam X (I watched this when I was in my early teens and wept buckets.)

Funny Films:
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
What's up, Doc?

Ones to miss:
The English Patient (Sorry fans, I just never got it.)
Titanic (My daughter saw this when she was pregnant and commented that, despite spending twenty minutes in the loo, she missed nothing.)
Any Horror Film (There's enough horror in the world without me seeking it out.)

ananimous Tue 25-Feb-20 22:58:39

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfL5V3WHhqM

Jo Jo Rabbit.

"What do we do now?..."

Dinahmo Tue 25-Feb-20 15:25:02

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls - one of those films that's so bad it's good. We saw it fairly often in our youth and most of the audience knew it so well that the best lines would be shouted out.

Labaik Sun 23-Feb-20 22:45:30

Yes; I remember that. Also Take Three Girls....

jura2 Sun 23-Feb-20 19:49:29

The first TV series I absolutely loved- and would lvoe to see again- was 'Rock Folies' - do you remember?

jura2 Sun 23-Feb-20 19:30:33

oh yes Fennel- what a brilliant film.

Will always have a special place in my heart for the first English film I ever saw- very moving- and I was so pleased to see the main actress on TV the other day, Rita Tushingham- A Taste of Honey.

Fennel Sun 23-Feb-20 19:27:23

Many that I remember, but one that's on BBC1 today.
In the Heat of the Night. Rod Steiger and Sidney Poitier.
Brilliant about the racial problems in S. USA.
And brilliant acting.

olliebeak Sat 22-Feb-20 21:53:31

Forgot to add - @Kalu - 'Mandy' leaves me in tears every time that I watch it!

My daughter suffered very badly with 'glue ear' until the age of 5 - and it always reminds of 'what COULD have been' sad. But my youngest granddaughter was a 'dead ringer' for the young Mandy Miller - with that confused/quizzical look on her face.

olliebeak Sat 22-Feb-20 21:48:39

2001: A Space Odyssey! Watched it on a h-u-g-e Panorama Screen around 1970 - amazing film. Modern screen cinemas and TV screens just can't do this film the justice that it deserves.

Also watched:
Soldier Blue
Shawshank Redemption
Empire of The Sun
Schindler's List - all of which left a very lasting impression on me sad.

henetha Tue 18-Feb-20 10:36:13

I've loved so many films over the years that it's almost impossible to list them. I particularly enjoy all musicals, my favourite being Cabaret I think.... or Carousel...
In particular The Graduate made a huge impression as it started my long admiration of Dustin Hoffman as an actor, and introduced me to the music of Simon and Garfunkle.
One daft film which sticks in mind is Tremors with Kevin Bacon, it's so stupid and yet so funny.

willowcat1 Tue 18-Feb-20 09:01:25

I saw Gorillas in the Mist many years ago. I started crying half way through and couldn't stop for hours. I could never watch it again because it was so distressing.

Chestnut Mon 17-Feb-20 15:37:28

What about Bonnie and Clyde and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid both favourites of mine from the 1960s. There were two programmes on TV recently about the real people (both films) which were fascinating. They were all folk heroes despite being criminals because people sympathised with them. They were raised in very tough times. Butch and Sundance didn't kill people, Bonnie and Clyde definitely did but still loads of people turned up at their funerals to mourn them. The movies were of course highly glamorised but basically portrayed what actually happened. I adored those movies because I was in love with the three leading men! ?

grandmac Mon 17-Feb-20 14:04:21

Still remember The Divided Heart from 60+ years ago, and the original Dumbo and Bambi!
Loved Stella, and Beaches both with Bette Midler. Also
Out of Africa, Dr. Zhivago, Secrets and Lies, Sophie's Choice, Midnight Cowboy, Cathy Come Home (that station scene, so harrowing} sad
Never seen Exorcist, Clockwork Orange or Reservoir Dogs, quite glad now after reading all the negative comments.
Just watched Parasite. Not sure what all the hype was about! confused

Blinko Mon 17-Feb-20 10:25:19

My all time favourite has got to be Lawrence of Arabia. Great score, wonderful desert scenes, great story and acting by then unknowns, Omar Sharif and Peter O'Toole.

Most unfavourite, at the other end of the scale, I watched one evening. I went out with OH and a friend I thought to see Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, a romance with Ewan McGregor and (I think) Clare Danes.

Turns out the friend had decided she wanted to see something about drug dealing in the backstreets (and underground car parks) of Buenos Aires. No idea what it was called, but it was a horrible let down...

Kalu Mon 17-Feb-20 10:17:14

Childhood films - Mandy and Calamity Jane

My colleague and I, both third year student nurses, on night duty shifts, deciding to see The Exorcist one afternoon. That night we sat at our desk in an eerie old Victorian ward scared witless at the least noise.

Out of Africa
Life is Beautiful
Shining Through
Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
All Monsieur Hulot films
Casablanca, especially when they sing La Marseillaise
Now Voyager

May7 Mon 17-Feb-20 09:48:27

Yes Chesnut me too.

Chestnut Mon 17-Feb-20 09:46:50

I agree May7 and I have never been able to watch it again. I was a horror fan until the Exorcist but that finished me. I never saw a horror film at the cinema again, only on TV where I can switch off!

May7 Mon 17-Feb-20 09:24:23

See the power of the Exorcist after all these years!!!! we are still talking about it. Just shows how these things can have a lasting impression on your mind. I'm fairly sure that if I now watched it as an adult I would find it laughable but I really CANT ?

Labaik Mon 17-Feb-20 09:00:26

I agree bikergran; all I can remember is the baby crying and the pipes. At least it didn't give me nightmares for 50 years like The Exorcist.....

bikergran Mon 17-Feb-20 08:48:05

Ryan's Daughter was a good one, think it was John Mills.

bikergran Mon 17-Feb-20 08:47:24

[Chestnut] we had no clue what the film was about, those days (I must be talking 40 yrs ago about) you didn't have as much info about the film, these days by time you have seen the trailers, you have almost seen all the film.

I thankfully don't rem much about it only it was weird and the end results were pencils! hmm

Labaik Sun 16-Feb-20 19:53:18

...having said that, I would never watch The Human Centipede. There's wierd and there's downright sick...

Labaik Sun 16-Feb-20 19:51:01

It was on late one night. I couldn't make out what I was watching so called up to my daughter who came down and watched it with me. We sat in silence for the duration. When it ended she said 'thank you for that, mother' and went back to bed. I don't think we ever spoke about it; however we do tend to watch weird things anyway.

Chestnut Sun 16-Feb-20 19:05:14

Just looked up the plot of Eraserhead:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eraserhead
Some people have very sick minds and make movies for people with sick minds who presumably enjoy them. I do remember seeing it maybe on TV many years ago, but I think we switched it off! ?