Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

potterythrowdown on ch4

(21 Posts)
travelsafar Sun 23-Feb-20 19:37:40

Anyone else find Melaine Sykes irritating as the presenter of this program. She spoils the program for me. I won't go into why as it would come across as being unkind and i don't mean to be.

Joelsnan Sun 23-Feb-20 19:41:08

I think she is fine.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 23-Feb-20 19:44:26

I enjoy it, she’s fine as far as I’m concerned.

BlueBelle Sun 23-Feb-20 19:54:04

She’s alright for me I love the programme

Polly99 Sun 23-Feb-20 19:57:25

I really enjoy this series and don't have a problem with her.

Sark Sun 23-Feb-20 20:53:33

I don't mind her and love the programme.
I don't really get why the chap cries though!

lemongrove Sun 23-Feb-20 20:58:02

I don’t mind her ( love the programme! Just watched it, those amazing tiles) but, I do notice something different about her around the jaw/mouth/ teeth.It could just be a drastic loss of weight.She does the job well, but I do find myself saying ‘stop talking to them! They only have ten mins left’ etc.?

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 23-Feb-20 21:22:40

Love the programme and all the presenters. Think Melanie is doing a slightly better job than Sarah Cox.

Keith is emotional and loves his craft. It's great to see someone affected by another's skill and creativity.

Very brave of anyone entering competitions where there is a time limit.

threexnanny Sun 23-Feb-20 22:40:25

We really enjoy the programme and think Melanie is generally good even when she laughed uncontrollably the week they had the nude models!

Marilla Sun 23-Feb-20 22:50:53

I adore this programme. But I do get irritated with the introduction, where Melanie has to do a silly turn linking the theme. Tonight it was a harp. Why? A piece of equipment was given to the contestants called a harp. ?

grannyactivist Sun 23-Feb-20 23:01:36

I cannot believe how interesting I find both this programme and the Great British Sewing Bee, when I neither sew nor have I even contemplated doing any pottery.

I actually really like Melanie Sykes' presenting style and think she gets 'in the way' as little as possible.

Moocow Sun 23-Feb-20 23:28:03

I know what you mean but think she's better than some.

LullyDully Mon 24-Feb-20 08:30:28

I was so pleased when they brought back this programme. I would like to do pottery ,as I used to go to evening classes....centuries ago.. Never did conquer the wheel.

Can't see anything wrong with M S she does a good job and moves things along.

Nortsat46 Mon 24-Feb-20 10:04:01

I really enjoy this programme and love seeing the pottery, at the end.

I am not a particular fan of Melanie Sykes, but she is pleasant and seems to genuinely care for the potters. Thus, she doesn’t spoil it for me.

trisher Mon 24-Feb-20 10:07:49

I love this programme. Think it's far better than any of the baking programmes. The creativity exhibited is amazing and I think Melanie Sykes is OK.

Luckygirl Mon 24-Feb-20 10:08:26

Melanie is good in that role.

I find the programme riveting, but am deeply irritated by "The one who will be leaving this week is....................(go and make a cup of tea) ........................ Fred" Just spit it out for goodness' sake!

Prolonging that agony of the announcement sits ill with the generally co-operative, kind and encouraging nature of the rest of the programme.

henetha Mon 24-Feb-20 10:31:03

This is a fascinating programme and I admire the skill of the potters. I don't have a problem with Melanie.

Atqui Mon 24-Feb-20 14:14:12

Love it- apart from the pause that
Luckygirl mentioned. Melanie seems ok to me.

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 24-Feb-20 14:35:00

I think they pause because the camera has to show the face of each potter? It happens on most knock out style programmes. Drives me nuts though.

Alishka Mon 24-Feb-20 18:56:43

While watching the last throwdown and listening to her inane chatter while they were working so hard against the clock,I was ready to tell her to go do one, on the potters' behalf. Annoying creatureangry

Dinahmo Tue 25-Feb-20 15:14:10

Melanie is OK. I enjoy the Pottery Throwdown very much but the one I like best is the Sewing Bee. Filming of Series 6 has finished and it should be with us soon.

Both programmes have intelligent and sensitive experts and there's no sign of aggressiveness amongst the contestants. I like that they are supportive of each other.

Long may they both last.