Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

ITV - Flesh & Blood

(310 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 24-Feb-20 21:20:03

It’s just started and I’m liking it straightaway! Stellar cast. Imelda Staunton (love her). Francesca Anuns.

The series follows three adult siblings – Helen, Jake and Natalie – whose lives are thrown into disarray when their recently widowed mum Vivien declares she’s fallen for a new man, retired GP Mark.

As Vivien nears her 70th birthday, her children grow suspicious when Mark begins to shift her priorities away from her family.

Gorgeous location see the photo!

Daisymae Sat 29-Feb-20 13:22:36

I thought that at Viv was cross that everyone seems so happy while Mark is in hospital and not expected to recover. He would definitely have been brain damaged having been deprived of oxygen for such a long time. Why didn't he introduce his daughter to his intended if they got on so well? Why was he in such a hurry to get married? Surely consultants have lots of money if their own, more so as he had already inherited from his first wife. So many unanswered questions!

Callistemon Sat 29-Feb-20 13:13:39

Thanks, Sparklefizz,
I did wonder about glass panels but it was all rather dark and murky.

Callistemon Sat 29-Feb-20 13:12:08

Calendargirl when you perform CPR you pinch the nose of the person when giving them mouth to mouth.

shandi6570 Sat 29-Feb-20 12:48:35

That makes more sense, Lisagran. Trust me to get the wrong end of the stick.

soop Sat 29-Feb-20 11:52:43

Good one, Curlywhirly Go for it!

Calendargirl Sat 29-Feb-20 11:02:13

If Mark had died, would it have been picked up that Mary had held his nose to stop him breathing? In a P.M.? Surely there would have been pressure marks or something?
Of course, if he doesn’t die.......

Happygirl79 Sat 29-Feb-20 10:58:29

There will be another series surely?

Sparklefizz Sat 29-Feb-20 10:54:52

Shall we quickly bash out a script, Curly and post it off??

Curlywhirly Sat 29-Feb-20 10:49:04

Sparklefizz now that could be the next series - Mark lives, but can't speak; Viv still loves him, takes him home and cares for him; her family and Mary are horrified and secretly try to finish him off!

Sparklefizz Sat 29-Feb-20 10:44:21

I could not have lived there with that flimsy balcony, one rail with plenty of space for DGC to slip underneath.

I think the balcony was glazed. I saw the glass smash as Mark went over/through it.

Good point, nina re Mark being starved of oxygen. What if he needs nursing? Would he be lying there waiting for one of them to finish him off?

Lisagran Sat 29-Feb-20 10:24:25

Well, it’s certainly got us all thinking!!

I think Mary meant that Viv would be going back to the hospital to visit Mark, shandi6570?

ninathenana Sat 29-Feb-20 10:13:42

Mark was starved of oxygen by Mary when she pretended to do CPR.
He's opened his eyes but is anyone home ???
I too thought he was going to push Viv off the cliff.

Callistemon Sat 29-Feb-20 10:01:08

mumofmadboys not unless he gives up smoking!

I could not have lived there with that flimsy balcony, one rail with plenty of space for DGC to slip underneath.

shandi6570 Sat 29-Feb-20 09:57:14

I thought Viv was suffering mentally as a result of the fainting episodes. Didn't Mary say something about getting dressed and eating the meal with the family before being taken back to hospital?

mumofmadboys Sat 29-Feb-20 08:17:16

Will Viv have him back I wonder?

Chestnut Fri 28-Feb-20 23:36:48

Viv clearly felt the family were responsible for her losing her husband which is why she looked so glaring at the dinner table. By contrast Mary and the children all looked quite cheerful, but they didn't know he had opened his eyes. Not sure what the children had to be happy about though, as they all had major life problems hanging over them.
It had a very satisfying ending which could stop right there, in which case we would be left deliciously speculating on what on earth will happen when he starts talking and comes home.

Pudding123 Fri 28-Feb-20 20:29:55

Just watched the last episode..loved it ,what a dysfunctional family!

EllanVannin Fri 28-Feb-20 19:43:23

As the Daily Mail added, will there be another series seeing as the doctor opened his eyes ? Would be great.

Callistemon Fri 28-Feb-20 19:40:42

Is Viv going to inherit Mark's wealth, if he had any?

The daughter won't be happy about that.

merlotgran Fri 28-Feb-20 18:17:40

I yelled, 'Stay away from the edge!' grin

mumofmadboys Fri 28-Feb-20 17:03:45

Yes , the thought definitely crossed my mind!

Sparklefizz Fri 28-Feb-20 16:58:15

Hands up everyone who thought he was going to push her off the cliff at Beachy Head when they had the picnic .... or to strangle her when he put his hands on her neck!!

mumofmadboys Fri 28-Feb-20 16:32:50

She was also upset by his aggression and swearing towards her kids.

Calendargirl Fri 28-Feb-20 15:58:00

But she knew there was a horrible row going on between the children and Mark. If she remembers all that, surely she must be suspicious about the outcome.
Of course, she could be brooding about the fact he never admitted he was a smoker!

travelsafar Fri 28-Feb-20 13:43:46

Stephen Rea, who plays Mark in this series is also in The Stranger on Netflix at the moment and he is pretty creepy in that too. Seems to be his forte as he was the same in Dickensian.