Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

ITV - Flesh & Blood

(310 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 24-Feb-20 21:20:03

It’s just started and I’m liking it straightaway! Stellar cast. Imelda Staunton (love her). Francesca Anuns.

The series follows three adult siblings – Helen, Jake and Natalie – whose lives are thrown into disarray when their recently widowed mum Vivien declares she’s fallen for a new man, retired GP Mark.

As Vivien nears her 70th birthday, her children grow suspicious when Mark begins to shift her priorities away from her family.

Gorgeous location see the photo!

gulligranny Sun 29-Mar-20 17:22:50

Quite right, Calendargirl, she's far too gorgeous! I could see someone like Denis Lawson, perhaps, or Ian McElhinney (Prof Ronnie in The Split) it would have to be someone who could sweep her off her feet ...

Calendargirl Sun 29-Mar-20 14:10:30

Agree re Stephen Rea- Francesca Annis’ character would never have fancied him I’m sure.

gulligranny Sat 28-Mar-20 10:24:15

We binge-watched Flesh & Blood yesterday, and really enjoyed it, although we felt that Stephen Rea was miscast as Mark - no charm, no charisma, no personality, just a hang-dog expression and a really bad haircut!

Rest of the cast were great, especially Imelda Staunton's wonderfully weird Mary. And the location was stunning.

Another series? Not sure, but if it happens no doubt we will watch it.

Daddima Wed 25-Mar-20 16:22:37

I watched all four episodes and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I’m not sure there are enough loose ends to justify another series, unless it would just be new storylines about the characters.

Incidentally, it was only when I was recommending it to my daughter in law that it really dawned on me that I too am recently widowed. How strange is that?

Bellanonna Sun 08-Mar-20 23:31:00

?

Sparklefizz Sun 08-Mar-20 09:44:52

Glad you liked it Bella

Bellanonna Sun 08-Mar-20 09:36:54

I watched episode 1 of Liar last night and really enjoyed it. Thanks to whoever recommended it,

mumofmadboys Sat 07-Mar-20 09:23:57

I will watch Liar on catch up now it has been recommended. Thanks!

Sparklefizz Sat 07-Mar-20 09:14:43

Yes, I have enjoyed Flesh and Blood, The Split and Liar. It's good to have some interesting dramas to watch.

mumofmadboys Sat 07-Mar-20 08:59:26

I have binged watched two series of The Split recently and loved that hollysteers

hollysteers Sat 07-Mar-20 01:52:47

Sparklefizz, thanks for recommendation for Liar, I have watched all of Series 1 and now ‘enjoying’ series 2. Gruffud is nice eye candy too, even as a baddie.

Eloethan Tue 03-Mar-20 19:59:12

I will definitely be watching Line of Duty. I have loved all the series, apart from the last one, which I found a bit disappointing. Hopefully the latest one will be back on form.

tanith Mon 02-Mar-20 08:40:17

I second Line of Duty as an excellent watch I'm presently watching the whole thing again from series one. Each series has it's separate case but there is also a deeper darker thread running throughout them all that is yet to be concluded. Can't wait for the new series.

Sparklefizz Mon 02-Mar-20 08:36:51

Hollysteers The 2nd series of Liar is due to start tonight (I think ... or maybe tomorrow). I have just been rewatching the 1st series in order to remind myself what happened. It's well acted, not gory, about a woman who is raped on a date with a charming well-educated, seemingly lovely man, and how she wants to get justice.

Anyone who is planning to watch it needs to have watched Series 1, I think, as judging from the trailers the storyline continues.

Curlywhirly Mon 02-Mar-20 08:12:00

Hollysteers I know you said you are not keen on police dramas, but it would be a pity for you to miss Line of Duty, which is due on very soon. It is a drama about police corruption, and is the best series I have ever seen in recent years. It really has you
guessing and on the edge of your seat.

hollysteers Sun 01-Mar-20 23:37:41

I’m very late to this party but have loved reading the timeline!
I really relished this series as I did Gold-digger and wish we had more of the same. Maybe they are there but I don’t know about them, so I have made a note of those you have mentioned, thank you.
Everyone seems to like Staunton’s portrayal, but I found it over the top and gave too much away too quickly. It reminded me of the film Rebecca, another woman’s unhealthy interest in a more glamorous woman. I’m glad Annis hasn’t had a facelift like Mirren and others, her face is very expressive. The only cosmetic work she has ever had was a nose job in the late 60s.
I was a window dresser in a large department store for a while and the repertory theatre was next door (yonks ago). She used to come in regularly.
I do hope we have a second series and you are all very clever thinking up various plot lines I never would have dreamt of!
Liking this, what else would you recommend? I’m not keen on police/Vera type/hospitals or gore...

Sparklefizz Sun 01-Mar-20 09:57:45

eazybee Maybe .... or is he poisoning her? Her test results were all negative.

eazybee Sun 01-Mar-20 09:39:19

As I only watched the last two episodes last night apologies if this has been discussed previously; I am still wondering why the apparently healthy Vivien is now suffering dizzy spells and fainting. Does Mark, a bona fide doctor, know that she has an incurable disease and the rush to get married and take her on a trip of a lifetime was all because he knew she had not long to live?

Sparklefizz Sun 01-Mar-20 09:10:21

Eleothan The characters were human with all their faults and failings. Nobody's perfect.

Eloethan Sun 01-Mar-20 00:14:18

I was expecting the ending to have a real twist and was imagining all sorts of convoluted scenarios. But I think it was better the way it was.

I did enjoy it very much, even though I disliked most of the characters. I thought the two daughters were mixed up and badly behaved but I didn't think they were horrible. But the son was a nasty piece of work.

I think Mark was actually quite a weak person - people who need to control those close to them and who feel threatened if they demonstrate feelings for anyone else are, I think, underneath it all insecure themselves. My view is he was dosing himself up with Diazepan because he was depressed and worried about the party. He smoked a cigarette and drank too much in an effort to deal with his anxieties. His true unstable character was exposed when he resorted to swearing at the family and being generally obnoxious.

I agree with suziewoozie re Vivien. I think she was really annoying and, like Mark, immature She was also, in her own way, quite controlling herself, judging by the look she gave Mark when she found him smoking.

There were a lot of loose ends which left me puzzled, but I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to have another series.

Callistemon Sat 29-Feb-20 21:05:36

I've never had to use it Calendargirl, thank goodness.

Calendargirl Sat 29-Feb-20 18:18:41

Thanks Callistemon for that info. Hope no one depends on me to revive them if they collapse!

Callistemon Sat 29-Feb-20 15:14:53

No photos of said daughter to show to Viv, no phone calls or introductions on the phone? Yet he and daughter were supposedly very close?
All a bit odd

Daisymae Sat 29-Feb-20 15:05:59

Totally agree, but why???

Sparklefizz Sat 29-Feb-20 14:31:40

Mark was very controlling, always beeping the car horn if he was waiting and Viv stopped to talk to Mary.

He was already shown googling Gibraltar before they went to Spain. I don't think he was ever intending to introduce her to his daughter, but it was just an excuse to get her close to Gib in order to get married while away from the influence of her children. I admit I was surprised (and so was the police officer) when he said at the end that Mark did indeed have a daughter!