Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What are you watching tonight?

(1001 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 18-Mar-20 16:30:11

Seeing as we're all staying in a little lot more, we'd imagine the telly is getting a fair amount of attention. If you want to chat about whatever you're watching while it's on (or the next day) please do check our Telly forum topic and join in if there's already a conversation running. If not, why not start one? There's almost certainly someone else on here who's watching alongside you and would love the opportunity to dissect the plot/suggest whodunnit/debate actor's suitability to role/just want to say they love or hate it. grin

Jane10 Fri 20-Mar-20 08:32:55

I don't know! The changes to schedules have really thrown me. My soaps should be in the right place at the right time. They are markers of my TV week. I suppose I'll get used to it but...

Rosalyn69 Fri 20-Mar-20 10:00:58

Series 1 of Law and Order Criminal Intent. I think there about 12 series. smile

Beechnut Fri 20-Mar-20 10:37:11

Gardeners World starts tonight. I’ve been looking forward to it for weeks.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Mar-20 13:24:28

Gardner’s World of course like you beechnut

Dinahmo Fri 20-Mar-20 16:06:13

CanadianGran Great Pottery Throwdown - delightful show.

Sewing Bee, another lovely programme will be back soon. The Beeb have started to trail it, but not date yet (that I've seen)

Tonight is Great British Menu - this year the theme is childrens' books and some wonderful concoctions this week.
First regional final tonight. Plus Vera.

merlotgran Fri 20-Mar-20 16:15:48

Thank goodness Gardeners World is back. Monty's calming voice is just what we need. It's going to be a funny old year though. I suppose garden centres will have to rely on a delivery service and visits to famous gardens abandoned by the public.

At least those featured on GW will have been filmed last year.

And no Chelsea sad

shysal Fri 20-Mar-20 16:28:04

I am also pleased that Monty is back. I was also delighted to see that The Great British Sewing Bee is to return in April.

mary51 Fri 20-Mar-20 17:43:05

Love the Sewing Bee and glad Monty is back.

Pittcity Fri 20-Mar-20 19:48:15

Totp 1989 with Anthea Turner in denim shorts!

CherryCezzy Fri 20-Mar-20 20:52:53

Atm I am watching REM on sky arts singing 'It's the end of the world as we know it' Satirical.

BlueSapphire Fri 20-Mar-20 21:13:15

I am watching the Sixties music night on BBC4. Ready Steady Go and all that!

mary51 Fri 20-Mar-20 21:20:20

A programme about eagles. I've learned about rock hydrax in Oman and Robohare in Scotland.

Elizabeth1 Sat 21-Mar-20 12:14:32

Ant and Dec and master chef I’m pleased I record my favourites and I do love Blue Bloods with Tom Selik grin

TerriBull Sat 21-Mar-20 13:34:23

Watched the first episode of "Unbelievable" on Netflix last night, very good, will continue with that. Husband's recorded "Vera" yawn! I like the books and I like Brenda Blethyn but the dramatisation doesn't always do it for me.

Susie42 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:11:30

I tend to record a lot of films and documentaries so we can usually find something to watch.

Elizabeth1 Sat 21-Mar-20 16:14:48

dadima I loved the first few series of the real Marigold hotel I’m glad to hear there’s going to be another one.

Davida1968 Sat 21-Mar-20 16:20:34

Finishing "The Sinner" (series two) which we recorded from BBC4. (Gripping stuff, as was series one.) Then not TV as such, but we're probably starting a box set of "Mildred Pierce" which DH picked up in a charity shop.

Elizabeth1 Sat 21-Mar-20 16:24:14

I love the sewing Bee too I’ve been watching loads of tv for months now it keeps my sanity while I’m recovering from this nightmare.

Eloethan Sat 21-Mar-20 23:56:47

Last night (Friday) I watched a documentary on BBC 4 about the 1960's programme "Ready Steady Go". It brought back so many happy memories of my early teenage years in Romford when I - and most of my friends, - sat at home eagerly anticipating the "5 4 3 2 1" opening music, overlaid by a voice ramping up the excitement with the claim "The weekend starts here". My weekend started with a trip down Romford market to collect cabbage leaves for my pet rabbits, followed by a visit to the library - so hardly living the high life.

I expect many teenagers these days would think it a bit sad to be so excited about watching a TV programme but hearing the opening "Five Four Three Two One" music really did make me feel like I too was part of the on-screen in crowd.

Whilst I loved Ready Steady Go, watching the documentary also made me feel quite sad for the simple but happy times I had back then.

Did anyone else watch it and did it evoke similar feelings?

Callistemon Sun 22-Mar-20 00:03:00

Michael Portillo in Canada
Then Belgravia on catch-up

No, I didn't see it Eloethan
I do remember seeing Manfred Mann walking in Trafalgar Square in the early 1960s and being rather disappointed, he was thin and pale.
I was in love with Paul Jones anyway!

Jane43 Sun 22-Mar-20 06:03:35

We watched The Ready Steady Go programme on BBC iPlayer yesterday evening. Great memories for us too as we met in June 1965 and married in February 1965. The performance by Otis Redding, Eric Burdon and Chris Farlowe was brilliant - three of our favourite singers and as for Jerry Lee Lewis: amazing! It was lovely to see some of those no longer with us: Dusty Springfield, Gene Pitney, Keith Moon and John Entwhistle of The Who, Cilla Black, John Walker of The Walker Brothers. The miming contest clips were very funny too. We will be watching it again, the Friday night music programmes on BBC4 are so good.

Jane43 Sun 22-Mar-20 06:04:46

Should be June 1964 not 1965.

tanith Sun 22-Mar-20 07:24:29

I watched first 2 episodes of The English Game on Netflix it’s about how football started in this country in the 1900s, sounds totally boring but so interesting, a struggle between the bosses/toffs and the mill workers. I can’t wait to watch more when I get time ? that’ll be later today. ?

Pittcity Sun 22-Mar-20 07:28:15

I was uplifted by Ant and Dec last night. Great fun but brought the message home.

BlueBelle Sun 22-Mar-20 13:01:18

Anyone know what’s happened to Casualty and Holby this week

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion