Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What are you watching tonight?

(1001 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 18-Mar-20 16:30:11

Seeing as we're all staying in a little lot more, we'd imagine the telly is getting a fair amount of attention. If you want to chat about whatever you're watching while it's on (or the next day) please do check our Telly forum topic and join in if there's already a conversation running. If not, why not start one? There's almost certainly someone else on here who's watching alongside you and would love the opportunity to dissect the plot/suggest whodunnit/debate actor's suitability to role/just want to say they love or hate it. grin

Eloethan Thu 23-Jul-20 13:54:23

I've been watching Mrs America. I didn't think I would like it but I have found it very interesting. I do, though, think that Rose Byrne isn't quite right for the role of Gloria Steinem - and her long hair is so obviously false.

Jane43 Thu 23-Jul-20 21:48:24

I watched the final part of Once Upon A Time In Iraq. It’s a 5 part documentary On BBC iPlayer. It’s devastating to watch how the lives and homes of Iraqi people were destroyed along with cities and the infrastructure, all on false assumptions about weapons of mass destruction and Iraq’s involvement in 9/11.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-Jul-20 06:21:17

Watched Three Billboards yesterday. Excellent. What claustrophobic communities some in USA are.

merlotgran Fri 24-Jul-20 21:57:28

Miriam Margolyes in Australia. I have a love/hate relationship with her. grin

NanKate Fri 24-Jul-20 22:01:57

Just watched Primal Fear with Richard Gere as an attorney. Brilliant film but bad language. Made in about 1996 so the computers looked all big and bulky and no iPhones. Saw it on Netflix.

Kate54 Fri 24-Jul-20 22:27:31

Enjoyed the Miriam M documentary - she managed to refrain from her usual coarseness. But give it time!

annep1 Fri 24-Jul-20 23:06:34

I'm afraid I must own up to watching two episodes of The Young Offenders on iplayer, and really enjoyed it.

tickingbird Sat 25-Jul-20 08:34:11

Watched Black Klansman last night on Netflix. Very good, funny, bad language but with a powerful message, especially at the end.

Grammaretto Sat 25-Jul-20 09:53:34

I watched and enjoyed the Miriam Margolyes documentary . A real eyeopener for me exposing some brutal truths about Australian life. Very far from Escape to the Sun or whatever.

You have to admire a fat 76yr old woman driving, camping and making a serious film at the same time.

merlotgran Sat 25-Jul-20 21:52:42

Naff all! It's terrible tonight.

MissAdventure Sat 25-Jul-20 22:03:26

No music?
It's usually the night I happen across something lovely.
I'm going to put the box on. smile

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 26-Jul-20 00:03:16

Iron Man 3

Brilliant.

Pantglas2 Sun 26-Jul-20 07:05:43

I’m half way through ‘When they see us now’ on Netflix and will finish it tonight. Five young men exonerated after time in prison for a crime they didn’t commit and the authorities knew it!

Froglady Sun 26-Jul-20 10:25:50

I will be watching A Suitable Boy, based on the novel by Vikram Seth. I read this book quite a few years ago when it was in the top 100 of the BBC The Big Read around 2004. Not sure how they are going to get over 1400 pages into 6 X 1 hour programmes. I really enjoyed the book so am looking forward to seeing it.

TerriBull Sun 26-Jul-20 10:49:38

I will definitely be watching "A Suitable Boy" I have high hopes for it, I've got the book on my shelves but sad to say I didn't get very far with it a few years ago, I think I should have ditched "The Luminaries" and got stuck into that instead.

Last night watched the new French series on BBC4, can't remember what it's called something about a large wave, features a lovely French plage somewhere or other. Although I did feel it had a load of old tosh feel about it supernatural quality theme, fell asleep in the 2nd half, will catch up on I Player though.

Other than that, following on from having watched the entire box set of "The Sopranos" recently we are now working our way similarly through the entire set of "Nurse Jackie" American series from a few years ago. Hooked on it now it's fab about the tumultuous working and domestic life of the nurse of the title who is addicted to pain killers.

Jane43 Sun 26-Jul-20 12:05:32

Pantglas2

I’m half way through ‘When they see us now’ on Netflix and will finish it tonight. Five young men exonerated after time in prison for a crime they didn’t commit and the authorities knew it!

I watched this a while go, it is excellent. There was also a one hour Follow up programme hosted by Oprah in which the actors and the real life characters appear. Oprah also made the point that at the time, Donald Trump put a three page advertisement in the newspaper demanding that the young men receive the death penalty.

There is also a Netflix documentary about a 16 year old boy who spent years in the horrendous Rikers Island jail just waiting for a trial for the crime he was accused of. His mother couldn’t afford the bail money. The impact on the young man and his whole family was heartbreaking. It is The Kalief Browder Story.

annodomini Sun 26-Jul-20 12:57:39

I gave the Luminaries a miss, having tried and failed to read the book. However, I think A Suitable Boy will be more to my liking. It, too, is a hefty tome!
Watch this space.

merlotgran Sun 26-Jul-20 13:20:38

I will definitely be watching "A Suitable Boy" I have high hopes for it, I've got the book on my shelves but sad to say I didn't get very far with it a few years ago,

Same here, TerriBull. I was pleased to see ASB pop up on 'Pointless' as one of those books you smugly say you've read but don't admit you actually gave up on it less than half way through.

War and Peace was another one. grin

BlueBelle Mon 27-Jul-20 08:08:42

Well I watched the first instalment last night of A suitable Boy and was suitably unimpressed
I will watch it again on my iPad in case I missed something but if this is how it’s going not sure it’s for me

Eloethan Mon 27-Jul-20 08:27:29

I thought it was OK but fairly predictable - a bit Romeo and Juliet - and the obligatory "bad girl/woman", etc, etc. Still, I'll see how it shapes up.

MawB Mon 27-Jul-20 08:44:17

merlotgran

^I will definitely be watching "A Suitable Boy" I have high hopes for it, I've got the book on my shelves but sad to say I didn't get very far with it a few years ago,^

Same here, TerriBull. I was pleased to see ASB pop up on 'Pointless' as one of those books you smugly say you've read but don't admit you actually gave up on it less than half way through.

War and Peace was another one. grin

Now I did manage “War and Peace” many many years ago, but “A Suitable Boy” defeated me!
It makes a handy door stopper though. blush

Maggiemaybe Mon 27-Jul-20 09:02:30

I found A Suitable Boy a bit lightweight, but will give it another try next week. We also watched the first two episodes of The Last Wave on Saturday. It’s very atmospheric and the setting is lush, which just about outweighs the tosh factor and the fact that I’m having trouble telling some of the characters apart. smile

I’m looking forward to the Jimmy McGovern drama tonight, imagining what the future of race hate victim Anthony Walker could have been, if his murder had never happened. It’s going to be hard to watch.

BlueBelle Mon 27-Jul-20 21:09:10

Ohh I made a terrible post earlier I watched ‘suitable boy’ again today and realised I must have been asleep 75% of the time and watching it today on my iPad I thoroughly enjoyed it No wonder I didn’t get who was who ?

GrandmasueUK Mon 27-Jul-20 21:49:11

Watching Good Girls. Series 3, (although it is on Netflix) and forgotten how good it is! I think if you liked Breaking Bad, you will love this.

Blinko Mon 27-Jul-20 22:34:27

Has anyone been watching the Murdoch story unfolding over the past couple of weeks? He has almost a total stranglehold on much of the Western world's media. The Murdoch Corporation is hugely influential, yet unelected and unaccountable to anyone but his board, which essentially means his extended family. We should be afraid....or at the very least, on the qui vive.

The MSM agenda is very probably the Murdoch agenda.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion