Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Nest

(72 Posts)
trisher Tue 31-Mar-20 16:29:44

Is anyone watching this? Martin Compston from Line of Duty being very Scottish and a bit threatening. A surrogacy which is illegal and going wrong, with a mysterious 18 year old. It's probably a bit far fetched but the acting is good (although the accents can be a bit much). The house the couple live in is amazing.

trisher Wed 08-Apr-20 12:49:20

I wondered about that Calendargirl but wondered if procedures abroad are not as thorough. I then wondered the only proof they have that there was an implant is dodgy, what if Kaya wakes up and says it never happened?

Brunette10 Wed 08-Apr-20 13:12:00

Managed to find the house on Google, it's beautiful. Would love to waken up to that view every day. Just stunning. smile

Tea3 Wed 08-Apr-20 13:35:53

Looks like a midge infested location at that time of year.

trisher Sun 12-Apr-20 22:02:56

OMG this is so good. So many unexpected twists and turns. Impossible to tell what will happen next. Can't wait for tomorrow night.

gulligranny Sun 12-Apr-20 22:23:50

Well that was a twist I wasn't expecting! That poor little mite - and who would want that weird woman as it's granny? (Shirley Henderson has always given me the creeps, I think it's that horrible voice).

Iam64 Sun 12-Apr-20 22:39:55

What a gripping drama. Great cast, acting, dialogue, twists a turns plus beautiful scenery.
I’m shouting at the tv for someone to get safeguarding in there quickly.

LullyDully Mon 13-Apr-20 08:19:29

Would you want to go Moaning Mildred as a granny?. She is weird,

I hope we get the full story of the first murder, poor girl, everyone she trusts let's her down. I can't see MM coming good.

trisher Mon 13-Apr-20 10:21:21

That baby is beautiful (or babies) I gather it's twins.

kircubbin2000 Mon 13-Apr-20 11:55:08

I thought it was quite ugly.

Marilla Mon 13-Apr-20 12:04:26

Kircubbin, that’s an unkind comment and unnecessary about a baby.
I am enjoying the story and the acting is excellent.

sodapop Mon 13-Apr-20 12:21:02

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all pans out tonight. I did struggle a bit with the dialogue last night .

Iam64 Mon 13-Apr-20 19:11:51

kircubbin2000 - what do you mean?

Marilla Mon 13-Apr-20 22:13:35

The Nest was a classy, gripping storyline with fabulous actors.
No weak characters and I found my loyalties shifting to different characters as the story progressed.
The tension built throughout the last episode and I had no idea how it would all end. I won’t give away the ending to spoil it for anyone yet to see it.

Bellanonna Mon 13-Apr-20 22:18:11

Brilliant

Dollymc1 Mon 13-Apr-20 22:23:36

I so enjoyed this series, I had empathy for all involved, which is a testament to the story and the excellent acting
I feel there is room for a second series here
Oh and I don't think any babies are ugly

Pittcity Mon 13-Apr-20 22:36:20

I was disappointed by the ending. Too many questions left hanging....

Alexa Mon 13-Apr-20 22:44:50

I loved the scene with the two mothers, Emily and Kaya. Emily's kindness and unselfishness set off the cascade of events that led to the happy ending.

Doodledog Mon 13-Apr-20 23:46:44

Only watched last episode last night. If the baby isn’t Dan and Emily’s, wouldn’t it have been picked up when they implanted their egg that she was already pregnant, even if not very far on?

You'd have thought so. I'm still not sure whose baby she is, and how she isn't Kaya's. I know that none of it was particularly believable, but that was a step too far, surely?

Particularly with social workers and the police involved - someone would be checking for abuse, wouldn't they? Or did I miss something? We aren't supposed to just believe that because the clinic was 'foreign', they would mix the eggs up? Or was the David Hayton character involved? He seemed like a malign presence throughout.

I hope there won't be a series 2, in the manner of Liar.

BlueBelle Tue 14-Apr-20 00:23:08

Well I enjoyed that, what a pretty girl Kaya is
What’s that awful mother been in I recognise her voice but can’t imagine what it was

Dollymc1 Tue 14-Apr-20 04:58:28

The mother was in Happy Valley Blue

BlueBelle Tue 14-Apr-20 06:59:55

Ahh thank you I must look it up as I did watch Happy Vally

Calendargirl Tue 14-Apr-20 07:22:07

I think the awful mum was also in a Marple episode.

Well, I was underwhelmed by the final episode, although all the acting has been great.

So was the baby a mix up, what happened with Dan’s business, was that a smaller house they were living in at the end, what happened to the iffy social worker’s child, did the sister and husband get back together?

Looks ready for another series?

oldgimmer1 Tue 14-Apr-20 07:42:43

Yes, there were too many loose ends. Good fun though.

I reckon the egg issue was a mix-up at the Clinic - wrong egg, or an admin error and the egg was, in fact, Dan's, so Dan's baby after all.

They were in a different house at the end, but does that mean that Dan's business went under? Maybe not. If he'd laundered money to start the business, there'd be an investigation into that, and that would take time. The baby was still quite young when we saw her at the end.

I assume the sister's partner left; could it have been her house they were shown in?

Other things I didn't get:

- was Dan's wife working or not? She seemed to drift about aimlessly a lot.

- what was David Hayman's role? Promising character, but didn't amount to much.

I enjoyed Martin Compton in this - nice to hear his Scottish accent rather than the SE one he adopts for Line of Duty.

Maggiemaybe Tue 14-Apr-20 08:03:00

I think there’ll be a second series too, to get to the bottom of all the unanswered questions. I enjoyed this one, so I’ll certainly be watching.

That’s an interesting theory, oldgimmer, that the embryo might have been Dan’s. I presume the result of the DNA test sent to each person would just show their own relationship to the baby or lack of it? He did seem to bond very quickly. Mind you, she was adorable. smile

LullyDully Tue 14-Apr-20 08:06:03

The awful mum was Moaning Mildred in Harry Potter, if you saw the films. Murdered in the girl's loos and destined to haunt them for ever. She is just right for character parts.