Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Loss of taste and smell probably covid 19 has anybody else experienced this

(7 Posts)
MiniMoon Thu 23-Apr-20 19:34:44

My Dad was ill with the Hong Kong flu in the late sixties. He lost his sense of taste and smell then. It took years for it to return, and he said that it was never quite the same.
I'm not surprised that loss of smell and taste is a symptom of Covid 19.

Harris27 Thu 23-Apr-20 18:56:31

I think it could be hay fever that makes me feel like that. I’ve been sneezing this week and itchy throat.

MayBee70 Thu 23-Apr-20 18:53:05

They now say that the main way the virus enters the body is via the nose [and, worryingly, the eyes]. So the loss of smell as a symptom theory makes sense.

MerylStreep Thu 23-Apr-20 18:38:16

Pudding 123
Last November when I had the cough and throat from hell ( and everyone I knew) ? I lost my tast and smell. I would say I only have about 75%. But until a few weeks ago I had no smell or taste from last November.
Sometimes, now, I have a taste when I'm eating that has no resemblance to any food of drink.

midgey Thu 23-Apr-20 14:25:09

Are you sure it’s not your variant of hay fever? My sinuses have been very odd for ages. I know it is hay fever from three trees and now dust from outside.

Missedout Thu 23-Apr-20 14:21:02

I have frequent sinus infections and have had surgery to help, which it did but only for a few months. Last year I lost most of my sense of smell and then I had a horrible bug that went on for months. I lost all sense of smell and could only taste sweet, sour, salt etc. I was extremely depressed as my sense of taste and smell was always acute.
I am shielded at the moment and the underlying condition that is the reason for it had worsened. A change of medication and an increased dose of another has brought my sense of smell back. It is such bliss to be able to smell everything, even not so nice smells. I don't take the loss of this sense lightly. I hope you recover yours. Covid19 wasn't about when I was struggling

Pudding123 Thu 23-Apr-20 13:43:05

I have lost my sense of taste and smell for almost a month now ,I have spoken to the DR twice who thinks it very likely to have been corona virus.I would like to know if any of you GNers have had this for such a length of time as I understand from looking on line this is a symptom but most people I have read about have recovered these senses within one to two weeks.