Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

TV under lockdown

(14 Posts)
Redhead56 Tue 12-May-20 19:25:40

The Marigold hotel started a new series but it wasn't on last week. That was disappointing it's a programme I do enjoy and look forward to watching.

Jane43 Tue 12-May-20 19:20:14

Peter Kay’s Car Share is being repeated, starting on Friday at 9:30pm. I never saw series one so I am looking forward to watching it.

Doodledog Tue 12-May-20 12:14:22

There isn't much on 'terrestrial' TV that appeals to me just now. It seems as though all that is on offer is lots of repeats of things that I saw first time round, or if I didn't watch it was because I didn't fancy them. Even the soaps are rationed, and there are fewer politics and current affairs programmes than usual.

I took out a trial subscription of Britbox the other day. They are offering a month free, then it will be £5.99 a month if I keep it up. I've found quite a few box sets on there that I have put in my 'watch list'. There are also classic films, and comedies. You can watch it on iPads and computers, on some TVs, or (as I do) via an app on Fire TV with an Amazon Prime subscription.

Alishka Tue 12-May-20 10:50:23

I'm enjoying Grayson's Art Clubsmile

Calendargirl Tue 05-May-20 12:37:38

Fennel

Yes, the charge for tv licences for older people was put on hold I think, not sure for how long though.

Fennel Tue 05-May-20 12:04:22

ps correction
"delay their stop of free tv lincenses for older people."

Fennel Tue 05-May-20 12:02:06

We don't have a TV but I watch on BBC iplayer. Husband has other apps for chanel 4 etc.
Recently BBC have been printing out the speech above the picture which I like as I'm a bit deaf.
Has anyone else seen this?
Another question - I wonder if the BBC is going to delay their free viewing for older people? We haven't heard any more about this since the lockdown.

Wibby Wed 29-Apr-20 14:30:34

I was annoyed to see the chase on everyday at 5pm and in another format its on at 9 pm. Theres not enough variety of different programs on and far too many recent repeats.

Deedaa Wed 29-Apr-20 13:58:30

Calendargirl I've been hoping they would be filming the latest book ( and there's a fourth book out later this year) I bought the first three on ebay very cheaply. Just wish they had spread them over more episodes. Like the Harry Potter books there are a lot of plot lines that get lost if they cut the story too much.

Calendargirl Wed 29-Apr-20 12:11:33

Am reading the ‘Strike’ novels, managed to get 3 of them just before our library closed, not got the first one unfortunately.

Would love to re-watch The Cuckoo’s Calling and The Silkworm which were televised a couple of years ago, before I read the books. Don’t think they are on I player, but seeing as a new story is set to be shown later this year, I expect they will be put on prior to that.

Jane10 Wed 29-Apr-20 11:49:33

There is almost too much choice of what to watch these days. Do you use i-players? Lots of box sets of old series.

Alishka Wed 29-Apr-20 11:06:43

I don't have a television, preferring to watch whatever via my pc or ipad (I live alone) and I've been watching LOADS, from Lucy Worseley and her history programmes though to not-to-be-missed Arthur Shappey in Self Isolation, a spin off from Cabin Pressure, so I suppose it boils down to what you like + the medium you use to access programmes? Certainly John Finnemore as Arthur Shappey has a large and dedicated following and I consider myself one of thosesmile

Yorksherlass Wed 29-Apr-20 10:48:38

Totally agree , a few more comedies wouldn’t go amiss at this time.

mrsgreenfingers56 Wed 29-Apr-20 10:44:09

What does everyone think of programmes available on lockdown? There are so many good series from years ago and not available to view. Been disappointed with the viewing and would have thought more effort would have been made. OK, weather been much too nice to have watched during the day but after a hard day in the garden would be good to have something to look forward to for viewing. There must be lots of archives they could put on for us. Comments please.