Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

(13 Posts)
tiredoldwoman Wed 20-May-20 05:55:07

Google says it's his 61st birthday (long dead) I've always loved his 'Somewhere over the Rainbow ' so listened again this morning. As usual it made me sing, dance and cry all at the same time so if you're needing to have 'good greet' this morning listen to lovely Israel . Happy Birthday x

Riverwalk Wed 20-May-20 06:22:56

Thank you that information tiredoldwoman - I've always loved that version but somehow never knew who the singer was. The sound of the Hawaiian ukulele has me all choked-up now!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I

(You can skip the ads)

It reminds me of my last dance class before lockdown where we pranced around to this version smile

MawB Wed 20-May-20 09:12:04

Riverwalk and tiredoldwoman that is lovely.
And thank you for the “health (Kleenex) warning” - it needed it. ?????

Nortsat Wed 20-May-20 16:33:09

Yes, the Googledoodle made me a bit tearful this morning, but was so nice to hear.

RIP Israel.

shandi6570 Wed 20-May-20 17:34:33

It's a lovely version of a wonderful song, I have never heard it before. Thank you for sharing.

B9exchange Wed 20-May-20 17:42:13

That version was played at the funeral of a very dear friend whilst scenes from his life played on a screen. It was wonderfully done. Brought it all back! smile

Kalu Wed 20-May-20 17:54:07

Oh, that was wonderful. I love that particular version as it is as haunting for me as is Eva Cassiday’s version. Both versions never fail to find me reaching for a tissue for a bit of a greet.

Thank you so much for posting this tiredoldwoman

EllanVannin Wed 20-May-20 18:02:20

Fabulous, a lovely version which I never knew who it was by.

This led me on to find another favourite of mine and that's Tokio Myers who won BGT in 2017 and who I remember willing to win--which he did. A marvellous musician.

Fennel Wed 20-May-20 18:11:08

I loved that, one of the best songs ever writen.
But my favourite is still Eva Cassidy's
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rd8VktT8xY&pbjreload=10

Kalu Wed 20-May-20 18:24:50

Just listened to her Fennel I can’t remember now when I first heard her years ago but I immediately had to buy her first CD to hear more. Her version of The Autumn Leaves is such a beautiful rendition too.

Fennel Wed 20-May-20 18:30:16

I like that one too Kalu.
So sad that she died so young from cancer - I wonder if she put all her feelings about it into Over the Rainbow.

Kalu Thu 21-May-20 00:12:08

I had similar thoughts Fennel as there was such a raw feeling of emotion in her songs.

CanadianGran Thu 21-May-20 19:36:33

I've always loved his version of this song.
Silly me, when my youngest finished elementary school, they had a little ceremony with photos of the kids since kindergarden, set to that song. I cried like a baby, and I'm usually very stoic!