Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Alan Bennett’s Talking Heads - Commencing June 23rd, BBC One

(110 Posts)
Jane43 Sun 21-Jun-20 13:23:40

I’m really looking forward to the new series of Talking Heads. I hope they live up to the previous ones.

Jane10 Sun 21-Jun-20 13:29:12

Such a treat. I'd love to see the old versions again too.

Anniebach Sun 21-Jun-20 13:36:15

I too would love to see the old versions

Jane43 Sun 21-Jun-20 13:42:33

Jane10 and Anniebach some of the originals Are on Daily motion.com including the wonderful ‘A Cream Cracker Under The Settee’. Apparently they decided not to remake that one because nobody could come close to Thora Hird, a wise decision I feel.

Calendargirl Sun 21-Jun-20 15:27:55

I thought they were not re-making a couple of the originals because they required older actors/actresses and Covid had put a stop to them performing.

I am a huge fan of Alan Bennett, wish he would have accepted a knighthood when offered.

Doodledog Sun 21-Jun-20 16:03:57

The 'new' ones are the originals, I think - just re-done with different actors. I think there are to be two new ones amongst them.

I have a DVD box set of the original ones, and they are excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing the new series, but I wish there were more that I hadn't seen before.

Jane10 Sun 21-Jun-20 16:28:10

Alan Bennett is the sort of person we'd all like to have a knighthood. He's a national treasure.

Calendargirl Sun 21-Jun-20 17:08:59

Yes Jane10, a very over-used phrase, but absolutey spot on for him.

Calendargirl Sun 21-Jun-20 17:09:37

‘absolutely’ !

lemongrove Sun 21-Jun-20 18:33:32

Thanks for the reminder Jane, I must record the series.

Who can forget A Cream Cracker Under The Settee, and A Bed Of Lentils.It’s a rare thing for a man to ‘get’ the way women speak ( especially older women).

lemongrove Sun 21-Jun-20 18:34:38

Also... A Woman Of Letters ( Patricia Routledge)

GagaJo Sun 21-Jun-20 18:44:48

Love Alan Bennett. He's such an old woman! I went away and watched Bed among the lentils after reading this thread!

One of the most chilling is The Outside Dog with the woman who realises she is married to a serial killer.

Jane43 Sun 21-Jun-20 20:29:14

You are correct Doodledog, they are the originals with different actors. I can’t remember a lot of them, just the more memorable ones such as Thora Hird, Patricia Routledge and Alan Bennett and I think there was one with Julie Walters. Perhaps I will remember the others when I see them.

Witzend Sun 21-Jun-20 21:32:49

Really looking forward to these.

We saw some of the originals in the theatre, including the inimitable Maggie Smith as the alcoholic vicar’s wife - her opening line brought the house down. IIRC, ‘Well, Geoffrey’s bad enough but I’m glad I’m not married to Jesus.’

We used to have a video of some of them. Must look for a DVD. Patricia Routledge excellent as always, as the Lady of Letters.

Jane10 Sun 21-Jun-20 22:28:46

Adore Patricia Routledge. One of her monologues was heartbreaking.

grumppa Sun 21-Jun-20 22:32:54

Met Alan Bennett in a friend’s flat about fifty years ago. Very quiet and hardly joining in the conversation, until he came out with a devastating one-liner that had us in fits.

GagaJo Sun 21-Jun-20 22:36:15

A lot of them are on You Tube, Witzend.

travelsafar Mon 22-Jun-20 09:39:05

Can't wait to watch this. smile Just love Alan Bennett.

henetha Mon 22-Jun-20 09:45:19

I loved this the first time round, and my favourite was the Thora Hird one about the cream cracker. I'm really looking forward to seeing this new series. Alan Bennett is a genius.

Lucca Tue 23-Jun-20 05:12:07

Look forward to this. I saw Alan Bennett in m and s food a couple of years ago, very exciting !

Rufus2 Tue 23-Jun-20 05:25:13

he came out with a devastating one-liner that had us in fits
Grumppa Please share it with us! Haven't been in fits for ages, or is 50 years a bit too much of a stretch for the memory? grin.

Eloethan Tue 23-Jun-20 08:07:35

I'm really looking forward to it too. The original Talking Heads was brilliant.

I wonder if our current actors' interpretations will be very different from the wonderful performances of Thora Hird, Patricia Routledge, Maggie Smith, et al - and, of course, Alan Bennett himself. I thought his monologue was particularly poignant. I'm especially looking forward to Imelda Staunton as I think she is a great actress.

GGumteenth Tue 23-Jun-20 08:14:34

Great actors and great writing; what more can we ask.

One of the monologues is 8 minutes longer than the original so I think we can look forward to different interpretations Eloethan.

Rufus2 Tue 23-Jun-20 12:22:17

It’s a rare thing for a man to ‘get’ the way women speak ( especially older women)
Lemongrove Problem is I'm now finding it hard to "get older women" , speaking or not! Btw; I'm also an "Alan"! grin
OoRoo

Rufus2 Tue 23-Jun-20 13:34:55

new series of Talking Heads
Thank you for reminding me of this! The previous ones were brilliant. Opened up an account with the BBC which I hope will give me easy access to this new series! grin