Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Gardeners’ World

(20 Posts)
AllotmentLil Mon 20-Jul-20 23:57:38

I love Adam, and his cat! Love Monty too. But my all-time favourite? Geoff Hamilton, it was lovely to see him in last week's programme.

merlotgran Sun 19-Jul-20 15:56:07

I think the BBC has been lining up Adam Frost for quite some time so if Monty gives up it will be a seamless transition.

When Toby Buckland took over from Monty in 2008 because Monty was recovering from a stroke, it was a disaster. Most viewers had never heard of him. His presenting style was awkward and matters were made worse by a format which turned GW into a cross between Blue Peter and Springwatch. Ratings plummeted!

Monty agreed to return on the condition GW would be presented from Longmeadow and not a location garden.

We've watched Adam's garden evolve. I always enjoy the 'visits'

But please don't go just yet, Monty.

Millie22 Sun 19-Jul-20 15:13:17

Did anyone watch Friday's programme. I do think Adam may be the one to take over if Monty decides to step down. I love Adam's garden and he is a pleasure to watch.

shysal Tue 30-Jun-20 15:58:36

Calendargirl, I was going to comment on Adam's hair too. It made him look younger, almost schoolboyish!

I love Monty and his dogs.

Liaise Tue 30-Jun-20 12:34:07

I agree. I look forward to Friday evening as a sane hour in these strange times. I also spare a thought for Jeff Hamilton who was a similar soothing type. The garden as been a lifeline and you can sit amongst your plants and feel a part of them (or do some weeding).
Alan Titchmarsh, along with Mrs T on the camera, has started a pleasant gardening programme about growing veg etc.

AllotmentLil Mon 29-Jun-20 22:11:35

I love everything about GW - the presenters, the pets, the viewers who contribute! Oh and the gardens! ?

HootyMcOwlface Mon 29-Jun-20 12:44:48

Monty is lovely to look at and lovely to listen to! I think I have a bit of a crush ?

GrannyLaine Mon 29-Jun-20 12:40:18

I too really like Monty Don's style and he writes beautifully too. I seem to remember that many years ago, he was referred to as 'the thinking woman's crumpet' and I have to agree, though he's a bit craggier now. I've always enjoyed GW over the years.

GardenerGran Mon 29-Jun-20 12:39:24

his garden I mean

GardenerGran Mon 29-Jun-20 12:38:43

Yes I agree calendargirl, I found Adam very attractive with longer hair! Hi garden is a dream.

Calendargirl Mon 29-Jun-20 12:30:22

Adam Frost seemed a bit bothered about his hair, needing a visit to the barber, but I thought the longer look suited him, made him look quite attractive.

He has settled well into his own presenting style, I too hope he takes over when Monty decides to hang up his presenting spade.

?????

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 29-Jun-20 11:48:55

I love Gardeners' World and watch it every week.

I think it has come to the fore during the lockdown that outside space is so important for one's mental health and peace of mind - it's so healing, even if you just sit and look at a flower.

Dear old Nigel was lovely and now there's little Pattie. I read that he also has a few cats but we never see them, do we? They must hide themselves away.

merlotgran Mon 29-Jun-20 11:46:57

That's rather unkind about Joe Swift, Avalon.

I watch Beechgrove on a Sunday morning. I find it interesting because their growing conditions couldn't be more different from mine.

25Avalon Mon 29-Jun-20 11:42:47

The one spoiler for me is when Joe Swift is on there waving his hands around all the time and acting like he is the most important person in the world that we all want to watch.
Monty is a natural and a pleasure to watch. I do miss dear old Nigel as he was a star in his own right.

Another lovely garden programme is Beechgrove from Scotland which is on Thursday at 7:30pm on BBC Scotland and repeated on BBC2 on a Sunday morning.

farview Mon 29-Jun-20 11:35:28

Gardeners world has been excellent during lockdown..Monty seems far more relaxed...loving everything about the programme ?

merlotgran Sun 28-Jun-20 12:50:08

the poem last Friday brought tears to my eyes.

Mine too, Woodmouse. I was also moved by the inspirational woman last week who was born without arms due to Thalidomide. Weeding with her toes and adapting garden tools, nothing seemed to be a challenge too far.

I agree about the viewers' contributions. I hope they continue because there's nothing I like more than peeking in other people's gardens and some of the children are a joy to watch.

J52 Sun 28-Jun-20 12:33:08

I love Gardeners world, even more so that Monty is presenting it on his own. Somehow it’s more realistic, as if he’s talking personally to you.
I also like the viewers garden videos. The lady who was 93 was wonderful, something to aspire to.

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 28-Jun-20 12:32:05

Big fan too. My DH teases me on a Friday. "Watching your boyfriend again?"

However, I'm quite taken with Adam and his garden. Find his approach is more to my way of gardening. I hope when Monty decides not to lead GW, Adam will be asked to take over.

I do love Monty's Paradise Garden and his seat at the top.

The viewers' videos are new during lockdown, I think but there are lots of requests on the GW facebook page for it to continue. The poem last Friday brought tears to my eyes.

I'm tempted to try another lemon tree, after seeing Monty's. I bought one four years ago and have just had to throw it out as it didn't survive the winter even though I move it into my polytunnel

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Jun-20 11:46:52

I never miss it. Big Monty Don fan!

Jane43 Sun 28-Jun-20 11:44:56

I don’t always remember to watch this programme but when I do I love the way Monty Don presents the show and I like the way he encourages viewers to send in videos of their gardens and ideas. He is so knowledgable and makes things seem so easy. I watched on Friday and discovered he has a new dog, a sweet little Yorkie called Pattie, she was peeping out of a basket he was carrying and is quite a contrast to his lovely labrador Nigel. I must make a reminder to watch the programme every week, if I do my gardening skills may improve.