Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

TV film ‘Marvellous’

(51 Posts)
lemongrove Sun 28-Jun-20 18:56:33

Just to say there is a new tv film called ‘Marvellous’ on Wednesday this week at 9 pm on BBC2.
Starring that excellent actor Toby Jones, it’s based on a true story, the trailer for it looks very good.?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Jun-20 18:59:33

Will have a look.

merlotgran Sun 28-Jun-20 19:00:44

I think it's been on before lemon. It was excellent and we'll definitely watch it again.

silverlining48 Sun 28-Jun-20 19:08:10

I saw it on tv a while ago and enjoyed it. Heartwarming, feel good type film.

Kate1949 Sun 28-Jun-20 19:57:28

We've seen it. It's lovely.

sodapop Sun 28-Jun-20 21:37:09

Yes it was on a while ago. Lovely film, Toby Jones was excellent.

pensionpat Sun 28-Jun-20 23:46:13

I shall watch it again.

Namsnanny Mon 29-Jun-20 00:51:42

Yes thanks lemongrove I will look forward to that. I've seen it before and was very life enhancing.

dahlia Sun 05-Jul-20 17:31:46

We watched this film for the first time on Wednesday. It was so heart-warming, even more so when you remember it was based on a true story and could see the "real" Nello from time to time. A complete joy!

BlueBelle Sun 05-Jul-20 20:37:39

Just caught up with this on a friends recommendation what a lovely film I cried my way through it

EllanVannin Sun 05-Jul-20 20:50:16

I'm sure I saw this film years ago ? Toby is a good actor and very underrated I think.

SpringyChicken Sun 05-Jul-20 20:53:30

We enjoyed it too, well worth watching. It's on BBC iPlayer if anyone wants to see it.

rubysong Sun 05-Jul-20 20:58:52

We loved it. We had seen it before but enjoyed it again. It was so nice to see the real people crop up. The real Nello, Lou Macari (what a kind person) and Gary Linekar. If you haven't seen it do get it on catch up. The best thing on TV for weeks. I don't think TV has served us very well during this lockdown. I am currently enjoying the Alan Bennett talking heads but there are many evenings when we can find nothing worth watching.

SpringyChicken Sun 05-Jul-20 20:59:44

Another film worth watching is Lion. Not recently televised but might be available on Netflix etc. Based on a true story.

seacliff Mon 06-Jul-20 20:57:31

Thanks for the recommendation lemongrove. I would never have watched this, otherwise, due to the football part. Love films based on true stories.

I agree, it's the best thing I've seen on TV for ages. I loved Toby Jones in the Detectorists, and he is excellent in this. It is a real feel good film. smile Wonderful.

lemongrove Mon 06-Jul-20 21:04:22

Glad everyone liked it.?I thought it really was marvellous.

welbeck Tue 07-Jul-20 02:53:42

Toby Jones is a very fine actor, and the son of the late great
Freddie Jones.

Puzzler61 Tue 07-Jul-20 06:35:15

We watched it too lemongrove and said what a superb job the 2 main actors did. Toby Jones’ s Nello was brilliant and so lovable, and Gemma Jones as his mum (she was also Bridget Jones’ s mum in the trilogy of BJ films).
I empathised with the Mother’s worries for her “special“ Son and how he would cope with life when she wasn’t around.
Despite his learning difficulties he did just fine!
90 heartwarming minutes long. I missed it first time around and so glad we watched it last week.

Clawdy Tue 07-Jul-20 09:00:07

I went to see Toby Jones give a talk at the Oxford Lit Fest and he talked about playing Nello. He said that after filming the funeral scene, they all felt very drained and sad, and Nello had watched it. He saw Nello afterwards, standing with his back to Toby, and approached him uneasily. Nello turned to him with a big grin, and said "Toby, we're gonna get a BAFTA! " And, as Toby said, they did!

travelsafar Wed 08-Jul-20 09:02:20

Watched this last night on catch up. I loved it, it made me laugh in so many places and feel sad in others. Toby Jones is a brilliant actor so is the lady who played his mother, cant remember her name. She had some wonderful lines. smile

CuthbertAnselm1 Sat 25-Jul-20 11:16:12

I also saw this movie. It's nice. I watched it from mobdro application. Download the mobdro app for smart TVs at: mobdrovip.com/mobdro-for-smart-tv/

saxar Wed 16-Sep-20 21:00:32

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AngelLarson Thu 15-Apr-21 08:49:05

I am using Listas IPTV CoiMobile to watch good TV programs and movie channels without any cost coimobile.com/listas-iptv/

grandmajet Thu 15-Apr-21 08:52:42

I got all excited when I saw this thread as I thought the film must be on again. It is a marvellous film! My daughter who hasn’t got Iplayer wants to watch it.

Dottygran59 Thu 15-Apr-21 12:18:40

Oh thanks so much for the heads up - I watched this and LOVED it - told DH about it and he wants to watch it too, we'll watch it together